Rate Last Videogame you played , write a one sentence review.

I think I've gotta check KOTOR out, it's always mentioned as such a great game, and even though I've never been a huge Star Wars fan if it's in the same vein as Mass Effect then it's gotta be decent.
I was also disappointed by the end. The T-1000 didn't even attack me, there was no challenge there, all I did was sit there and blow holes in it with my sniper, then it died. Seemed kinda pointless.
I'll check out that DLC.

I noticed a lot playing ME1 and 2 how much it relates to Blade Runner, especially with some of the environments. I hated Blade Runner (forced to watch it for school, I never made it all the way through without falling asleep), but I kinda 'get' it now, at least the environment if not the plot.

For KOTOR... the first one is Disneyified (even on the most evil track one could take) and the second one is buggy. I loved the plot and characters of the second game, but it took some tinkering to get it to actually be a game - there's a third-party patchup called TSLRP that'll get it going well in a lot of cases, but prepare for a teensy bit of tweaking and *save often*. The plot of the second game is probably one of my favorites *ever*, so I think that it's definitely worth it, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said it was a finished game. (Thanks, Lucasarts, for pushing so hard to release something for gift season that you forgot that people want to receive gifts that work!)

For Blade Runner... this is unrelated to gaming, but did you see the terrible narrated version or the proper Director's Cut? That makes a *huge* difference ... it's a wonderful film, but the big wigs bent it over and didn't even leave it cab fare - if you're going to give it a good chance you need to see the proper release.

Jeff

LA Noire 8/10
besides being a bit boring sometimes, it was actually one of the most innovative game, technology speaking.
The face rigging is impressive, not so impressive the rest of the graphics ;)
The story is good, not awesome. The ending .... ah second time around people at rockstar piss me off ;)

For KOTOR... the first one is Disneyified (even on the most evil track one could take) and the second one is buggy. I loved the plot and characters of the second game, but it took some tinkering to get it to actually be a game - there's a third-party patchup called TSLRP that'll get it going well in a lot of cases, but prepare for a teensy bit of tweaking and *save often*. The plot of the second game is probably one of my favorites *ever*, so I think that it's definitely worth it, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said it was a finished game. (Thanks, Lucasarts, for pushing so hard to release something for gift season that you forgot that people want to receive gifts that work!)

For Blade Runner... this is unrelated to gaming, but did you see the terrible narrated version or the proper Director's Cut? That makes a *huge* difference ... it's a wonderful film, but the big wigs bent it over and didn't even leave it cab fare - if you're going to give it a good chance you need to see the proper release.

Jeff

Do I need to play the first one in order to enjoy the second (which sounds like the better game)? I didn't even realise there were two, I thought it was just the one.

Blade Runner, I watched the Director's Cut. I just found it boring, there was little to keep me interested. Maybe if I watched it now I'd appreciate it a bit more but I still don't think it would be entertaining.

Brink
Played the free weekend on steam and completed all campaigns except last two. It's a pretty fun game, but there wasn't enough content to convince me to pay for it. You unlock everything pretty early and the weapons don't really differ from each other that much.

Do I need to play the first one in order to enjoy the second (which sounds like the better game)? I didn't even realise there were two, I thought it was just the one.

Blade Runner, I watched the Director's Cut. I just found it boring, there was little to keep me interested. Maybe if I watched it now I'd appreciate it a bit more but I still don't think it would be entertaining.

Well I'll first write up a response to Jeff, IMHO the first KOTOR is way better plot-wise than the second. I still though the second was great UNTIL the end which I felt was almost an afterthought. The buggyness of the second is par for the course for an Obsidian game sadly, like New Vegas or Alpha Protocol, these guys haven't made a fucking finished product since Planescape: Torment if you ask me!

Both are pretty poor console ports so it will take patching and tweaking to get them to work right on a PC. If you have an old XBOX handy you're in luck, that's what I played them on back in the day.

Mass Effect is basically KOTOR revisited. To avoid giving any spoilers the main plot arc of the first KOTOR midway through the game is the best "whoah! fuck! FUCK YES" I've ever come upon in a game. And Bastilla is definitely the greatest bitch to ever grace video gaming (Morrigan from Dragon Age is a very pale attempt, as are Miranda and Ashley). The second is pretty killer too, with some great characters and locations. Yes they are RPG-lite Bioware style and you may find the combat pretty piss poor (it replaces the not too great "whackamole" combat of ME with turn based combat which is both too easy and repetitive. But at heart it's the same shite. You get an older version of the Millenium Falcon and then you assemble a motley crew to save (or ruin) the universe.

Blade Runner is my fave movie of all time. The Director's Cut is much better, because it lacks the forced noire narrative bullshit, but the movie would be a little too ambiguous for complete retards the way Scott wanted it. Still a triumph of cinematography if you ask me. I don't really see any parallels between ME and BR, except for ME borrowing heavily from Syd Mead's artwork, but when it comes to futurism, who has not, in general?

Yeah I don't see too much of a connection between Blade Runner and Mass Effect either, other than it being in the future. ME was all clean lines and looked like you were in a giant neon-lit mall most of the time. Maybe the Omega station looked a bit like LA in BR though. What appeals to me with most Philip K Dick stories is the blurring of human nature with science, whether it's dreams or robots/simulacra or some form of 'beyond'.

I've heard people say Morrigan was hot...most of the Dragon Age characters had a horrible underbite lol. Bad mouth rendering imo.

Counting the fekkin days until Human Revolution is released...now that's a clear connection to BR if I've seen one.

Yeah I don't see too much of a connection between Blade Runner and Mass Effect either, other than it being in the future. ME was all clean lines and looked like you were in a giant neon-lit mall most of the time. Maybe the Omega station looked a bit like LA in BR though. What appeals to me with most Philip K Dick stories is the blurring of human nature with science, whether it's dreams or robots/simulacra or some form of 'beyond'.

Dick is king of dystopian SF. Well, him and Ballard. Maybe I even prefer Ballard, he was unsurpassed in his negativity. I wonder how he'd view what's going on in London and other cities in England. But enough OT.

Masterbeast said:
I've heard people say Morrigan was hot...most of the Dragon Age characters had a horrible underbite lol. Bad mouth rendering imo.

Counting the fekkin days until Human Revolution is released...now that's a clear connection to BR if I've seen one.

Never played DA but...FUCK YES ON DE3. Looks like it will be the win of the decade. Raise your hands if you think Deus Ex=greatest game ever!

Well I'll first write up a response to Jeff, IMHO the first KOTOR is way better plot-wise than the second. I still though the second was great UNTIL the end which I felt was almost an afterthought. The buggyness of the second is par for the course for an Obsidian game sadly, like New Vegas or Alpha Protocol, these guys haven't made a fucking finished product since Planescape: Torment if you ask me!

Both are pretty poor console ports so it will take patching and tweaking to get them to work right on a PC. If you have an old XBOX handy you're in luck, that's what I played them on back in the day.

Mass Effect is basically KOTOR revisited. To avoid giving any spoilers the main plot arc of the first KOTOR midway through the game is the best "whoah! fuck! FUCK YES" I've ever come upon in a game. And Bastilla is definitely the greatest bitch to ever grace video gaming (Morrigan from Dragon Age is a very pale attempt, as are Miranda and Ashley). The second is pretty killer too, with some great characters and locations. Yes they are RPG-lite Bioware style and you may find the combat pretty piss poor (it replaces the not too great "whackamole" combat of ME with turn based combat which is both too easy and repetitive. But at heart it's the same shite. You get an older version of the Millenium Falcon and then you assemble a motley crew to save (or ruin) the universe.

Blade Runner is my fave movie of all time. The Director's Cut is much better, because it lacks the forced noire narrative bullshit, but the movie would be a little too ambiguous for complete retards the way Scott wanted it. Still a triumph of cinematography if you ask me. I don't really see any parallels between ME and BR, except for ME borrowing heavily from Syd Mead's artwork, but when it comes to futurism, who has not, in general?

I do have an old Xbox, so that might work well. Is it worth playing the second on a PC just to fix all the bugs? I've got no time to myself atm, and I've still got about 10 games from the steam sales that I haven't played yet, but these are definitely on my list.

A lot of the environments I felt borrowed a lot from Blade Runner - Omega especially, and some others.

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition - 9/10.

Bought a tournement stick and having lots of fun while being completly rubbish at it haha, such a complex game if you wanna be more then just a button masher.
So far I have spendt more time in training then actual fights.

I disagree that the first is better plot-wise than the second.

There is a depth to the characters and maturity to the storyline in the 2nd which only comes from people of the caliber of Avelone working on the story. There is a huge focus on shades of grey, and is a welcome divisor from the boring 'straight evil/good' guy archetypes in most Star Wars stories. There is this introspective feeling, about people fighting wars within themselves, rather than the straight cliche'd battles of thousands. The whole thing is mature, with Kreia there the entire way to help mindfuck you.

The reason that the end felt like an afterthought is because it was. The game was about 60% complete when it was released. The amount of content cut from it was immense. Obsidian petitioned Lucas Arts to let them create a patch to restore the lost content but Lucas didn't let them. So there you go. One of the best RPGs of all time could have been much, much better, if the publishers hadn't been insistent on a christmas launch, and no follow-up in order to complete their product.

Also, Obsidian didn't create Torment. That was Black Isle Studios. Many former members did join Obsidian, but not all.

Also if you think they haven't made a finished product since 2001, when they didn't exist, you should check out Dungeon Siege III. My recent playthrough was very fun, engrossing and devoid of any bugs whatsoever.

Been up and running on my new pc for a couple of days, it's absolutely murdering everything I put it through haven't really benched it properly yet, but the FC2 benchmark on highest settings at 1900x1080 was running at about 160fps average :D

Add me on steam for some CS:S and BBC2 love, username = ratsapprentice

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 8/10
Dawn of War II - 7.5-8/10

I disagree that the first is better plot-wise than the second.

There is a depth to the characters and maturity to the storyline in the 2nd which only comes from people of the caliber of Avelone working on the story. There is a huge focus on shades of grey, and is a welcome divisor from the boring 'straight evil/good' guy archetypes in most Star Wars stories. There is this introspective feeling, about people fighting wars within themselves, rather than the straight cliche'd battles of thousands. The whole thing is mature, with Kreia there the entire way to help mindfuck you.

The reason that the end felt like an afterthought is because it was. The game was about 60% complete when it was released. The amount of content cut from it was immense. Obsidian petitioned Lucas Arts to let them create a patch to restore the lost content but Lucas didn't let them. So there you go. One of the best RPGs of all time could have been much, much better, if the publishers hadn't been insistent on a christmas launch, and no follow-up in order to complete their product.

Also, Obsidian didn't create Torment. That was Black Isle Studios. Many former members did join Obsidian, but not all.

Also if you think they haven't made a finished product since 2001, when they didn't exist, you should check out Dungeon Siege III. My recent playthrough was very fun, engrossing and devoid of any bugs whatsoever.

Ah there we go, I didn't know nothing about what went on behind the scenes during development. Yes the characters were a lot less cartoony than they typically are in Bioware works, and unlike in the first most of them were pretty memorable (I'd be hard pressed to remember more than two from the first) But the ending ruined the game effectively for me and looking back three years ago when I last played it, I couldn't really remember the finer points.

I stand corrected on Torment, but it was an Avellone game though. And his best IMO. If nothing he deserves to be remembered as a legend of game design for that one triumph at least.

I played DS 2 but it bored me to the extent that I never completed it. Yes it was light fare and all but I started playing something else and never went back. I haven't heard much praise for the third installment, but I might just give it a shot once I'm done with my STALKER series re-run (which is pretty cool with the Complete patches I must say).

I do have an old Xbox, so that might work well. Is it worth playing the second on a PC just to fix all the bugs? I've got no time to myself atm, and I've still got about 10 games from the steam sales that I haven't played yet, but these are definitely on my list.

A lot of the environments I felt borrowed a lot from Blade Runner - Omega especially, and some others.

You shouldn't encounter any game-breaking bugs in the XBOX versions. The graphics won't be nowhere near as nice though. Then again don't hold me to my words, I haven't played it in three years.

Omega is pretty bR, but then again so is that Lair of the Shadow Broker (seriously give it a chance, you can pass up on all other DLC for ME without guilt, with the exception of Kasumi's stolen memory), police spinners and all!

I liked Borderlands a fair bit, it had some charm, just wish there was some kind of dialogue/involvement with the world. Looking forward to part II. Have you beat all the DLCs? Secret Armory sure was the best, although the others weren't too shabby either. Game had lotsa character, even though it was real shallow.

I just went back to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R., all three, from Clear Sky onwards, with the Complete mod. Hands down the best games released in the past 5 years IMHO. All bugs/issues included, still head and shoulders above all the dumbed down rubbish.

I love the Stalker games, the book, the movie, at of it is awesome awesome awesome shit.:D Unfprtunately havent been able to find the Call of Pripryat anywhere but online, I usually buy real copies if I can and that is getting hard to do lately.

I actually just went to best buy today and got the Zombie Island of Dr. Zed and the Moxxi's Underdome Riot DLC's for Borderlands...couldnt find the other two on DVD. I may get em off the net soon, though. I've heard good things about the General Knoxx dlc.

They really need to bring back the ability to hot-swap equipment in ME:3, I found it incredibly irritating not being able to having grown used to it in the first.
And a balance needs to be found in the exploration of planets, environments like those on 2 minus the linearity and with the scale of the first game would be great.
And to be honest the stong point of ME has always been it's visual and audio design, which are both superb. The gameplay is nothing particularly special, although the mechanics work well and are simple enough that you can immerse yourself into the story and aesthetics without distraction.

Also:

PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ
http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/12/rumour-valve-to-release-new-counter-strike-game/

Going by that title (and assuming it's true) it sounds like it could be along the lines of Condition Zero, which I thought was fucking great.