Read This Guy

Katatonic

Not My Own
Sep 10, 2001
Sydney
I dont know if this has been posted before, but here is a review of morningrise from Satan Stole My Teddybear:

"Opeth, the pioneers of kitsch and aimless pretention in black metal. Morningrise best exemplifies their stunning incapacity to arrange - not necessarily to compose - and quite predictably is swallowed whole by "melodic metal" enthusiasts with a penchant for worshipping anything this blatantly gimmicky. There are certainly some redeeming points, but they tend to go unnoticed, mostly because this album is about thirty minutes too long and so full of itself that mediocrity begins to seem like incompetence when it keeps getting repeated for what seems like hours on end.

"Advent", for example. A jumble of ideas, it is a messy collection of a million different apathetic riffs without any clear climax, direction. There's a nice riff, then a little break - maybe an acoustic interlude - and then a riff that might have come from any of their other songs, or albums, for that matter. Some of the songwriting seems forceful, and laced with subtle contrivances that tend to strip it of its emotional content because of its inability to absorb me: if the music bothers me, I tend to view it objectively, from the outside, and then the other flaws come crashing in from the periphery onto the centre stage.

There are often a lot of abrupt stops, and they're sometimes followed by acoustic picking patterns with off-key clean vocals. They're somewhat well done on the first two songs, but by the time "Nectar" is done, so is the creativity the band is able to exercise. "Black Rose Immortal" is intolerably boring and "To Bid You Farewell" is almost as bad. The vocals are rather generic, but there is a lot of potential in what the lead singer would be able to accomplish if he tried to sing in key. The production is fine, though the guitar sound is not quite thick enough to have a charismatic definition.

I'm not willing to say that Opeth are untalented, that would be rather inaccurate. Without any doubt, there's a lot of catchy riffage all over the place, and some of the acoustic inteludes are even pleasantly "atmospheric". "Advent" and "Night and the Silent Water" are nice listens, and if taken just as a collection of riffs tend to even be enjoyable. If only they had not tried to bite off more than they could chew, and edited out most of the pointless meandering, this would've been decent. They need to learn that composing "epics" takes a lot more than plastering guitar parts onto a conceptual rag doll of a song."

:lol: :lol: Loser:lol:

it's so clear that his big problem with opeth is that they don't follow traditional song structure patterns -- how sad that he's so limited.

and mikael...off-key?! like, maybe twice in his whole career. idiot.

this guy used to hang around the gathering board before they shut it down (i THINK).

Nothing wrong with the Gathering, but obviously this guy isn't a big fan of originality.

I think I have read that before. If not here, maybe at Satan Stole My Teddy Bear. I find many of their reviews to be misguided at times.

No one has noticed Chedsey's own derogatory remarks about Opeth?

He writes:

The mass hysteria Opeth has created within the metal community has baffled me to no end. While I freely admit both Orchid and Morningrise were two remarkable, groundbreaking efforts from this Swedish band, the resulting three albums since then (My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life and now Blackwater Park) have done little to capture my attention for anything more than a fleeting moment. Perhaps the only remarkable aspect to Blackwater Park is the fact that Porcupine Tree/No-Man leader Steven Wilson lent his expertise in production to slightly focus Opeth's meandering music into something that suggests maybe someday Opeth will actually produce a truly progressive metal masterpiece.

In the months since I've acquired Blackwater Park, I don't believe I have once been able to sit through the cumbersome, wandering release in a single sitting. Much like AC/DC and the Ramones before them, Opeth has a very definite songwriting formula which relies on the interchanging of soft/hard passages, clean/harsh vocals and occasional acoustic noodlings. The impression is that bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt pieces together a hodgepodge collection of riffs rather than visualizing entire songs within his head. Blackwater Park interviews with Åkerfeldt have confirmed that this band could be something more if their work ethic were as impressive as their technical skills. In the August 2001 issue of Metal Maniacs, he confirms the band rehearsed exactly three times before the recording of Blackwater Park and would rehearse more, but "we're just too lazy!" As a result, Blackwater Park is akin to someone taking a leisurely stroll through a shopping mall. One may see some shiny trinkets in various stores but since there is no purpose to the shopping trip, there is little beyond ear/eye candy in store for the listener. The songs presented on Blackwater Park do very little to engage listeners beyond some very pretty or intriguing passages. Unlike Morningrise, where the songs somehow overcame the cumbersome arrangements to reward the listener with the feeling everything came together for a satisfying experience, Blackwater Park meanders. Opeth has proven with their last three releases that their songwriting consists of their aforementioned formula and that they are simply stuck in a rut. The one standout, memorable track on this release is the acoustic based "Harvest", which has Steven Wilson's influence plastered all over it. The mesmerizing beauty of the guitar movements and the heartfelt clean singing suggest that if Opeth truly worked at their songwriting skills, they easily be one of the most outstanding metal acts of this new decade.

The aggravating thing about Opeth is that they constantly tease listeners with their undeniable talent. However, given their apparent lack of work ethic towards songwriting (I maintain their last three albums sound as though they were thrown together in the studio, using various riffs Åkerfeldt had come up with goofing off around the house), Opeth is a band I tend to tune out and lose interest in partway through each given song. Opeth could indeed be a formidable and excellent act if only they completely applied themselves to bettering their craft rather than sticking to a safe, predictable formula.

Review by John Chedsey

8/01

This guy is another twat for a journalist. He calls BP "meandering" when it's in fact the most organized and structured- indeed the simplest- of all the albums, as typified in the song "Bleak". Also, I might wonder if he's aware of the fact that MAYH and Still Life are (beautifully) cohesive concept albums. There is no evidence that he is. I don't think he reads the lyrics

Strange thing is he gives a rather warm review for Still life. So much for consistency.

Postedit: Is the board flipping out or is it just my browser?

This is why i no longer believe on reviews. The best reviews one can get is downloading some mp3s at galaxy and judging from one self as i have come to realize. I would like to see each and every one of the reviewers dead...well maybe i could spare Melancholia but thats it!.

i try to see reviewers for what they are - people who are paid to have an opinion and express it strongly. Its no good having a reviewer who likes all types of music and gives everything 10 out of 10, what use is that? So the way i see it is if i tend to agree with how a reviewer judges albums that i already know, then i will read their reviews about stuff i dont know. If i read a review such as the above mentioned reviews then i would realise this person is different to me and reading reviews by them would be pointless cause we speak different languages when it comes to music. I dont expect everyone to agree with my tastes, and that includes reviewers as well. If they were talking to me and told me that stuff then that would be a different story!! Then id start overreacting! :D

Well said! and I agree most some parts.... still reviewer must have some band from genres he judge. And reviewer should look thing abit more wider. Not just "I don't like this" point of view. and They should now, even if they don't like some band, that do they play good, and is it good music in their way. know what I mean?
those are good points, a reviewer is useless without backing opinions with facts.
And its very hard for some people to see through their owns tastes and be able to say "its brilliant but i dislike it", but these people will still get jobs as reviewers unfortunately coz thats how the world works.

Originally posted by E V I L
No one has noticed Chedsey's own derogatory remarks about Opeth?

He writes:

The mass hysteria Opeth has created within the metal community has baffled me to no end. While I freely admit both Orchid and Morningrise were two remarkable, groundbreaking efforts from this Swedish band, the resulting three albums since then (My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life and now Blackwater Park) have done little to capture my attention for anything more than a fleeting moment. Perhaps the only remarkable aspect to Blackwater Park is the fact that Porcupine Tree/No-Man leader Steven Wilson lent his expertise in production to slightly focus Opeth's meandering music into something that suggests maybe someday Opeth will actually produce a truly progressive metal masterpiece.

In the months since I've acquired Blackwater Park, I don't believe I have once been able to sit through the cumbersome, wandering release in a single sitting. Much like AC/DC and the Ramones before them, Opeth has a very definite songwriting formula which relies on the interchanging of soft/hard passages, clean/harsh vocals and occasional acoustic noodlings. The impression is that bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt pieces together a hodgepodge collection of riffs rather than visualizing entire songs within his head. Blackwater Park interviews with Åkerfeldt have confirmed that this band could be something more if their work ethic were as impressive as their technical skills. In the August 2001 issue of Metal Maniacs, he confirms the band rehearsed exactly three times before the recording of Blackwater Park and would rehearse more, but "we're just too lazy!" As a result, Blackwater Park is akin to someone taking a leisurely stroll through a shopping mall. One may see some shiny trinkets in various stores but since there is no purpose to the shopping trip, there is little beyond ear/eye candy in store for the listener. The songs presented on Blackwater Park do very little to engage listeners beyond some very pretty or intriguing passages. Unlike Morningrise, where the songs somehow overcame the cumbersome arrangements to reward the listener with the feeling everything came together for a satisfying experience, Blackwater Park meanders. Opeth has proven with their last three releases that their songwriting consists of their aforementioned formula and that they are simply stuck in a rut. The one standout, memorable track on this release is the acoustic based "Harvest", which has Steven Wilson's influence plastered all over it. The mesmerizing beauty of the guitar movements and the heartfelt clean singing suggest that if Opeth truly worked at their songwriting skills, they easily be one of the most outstanding metal acts of this new decade.

The aggravating thing about Opeth is that they constantly tease listeners with their undeniable talent. However, given their apparent lack of work ethic towards songwriting (I maintain their last three albums sound as though they were thrown together in the studio, using various riffs Åkerfeldt had come up with goofing off around the house), Opeth is a band I tend to tune out and lose interest in partway through each given song. Opeth could indeed be a formidable and excellent act if only they completely applied themselves to bettering their craft rather than sticking to a safe, predictable formula.

Review by John Chedsey

8/01

I have to say I agree on a certain level. I have written before that BWP has a couple of great songs, but the rest of it doesn't captivate me as Orchid/Morningrise did. I also partly agree with the "lazy songwriting". You can't deny that the first albums had more texture and depth.

An aspect that I personally dislike is preconceived bias in reviewers. I know that all reviewers are subjective, but I really hate it when they stipulate that an album is good/bad according to general public opinion.

My example is the Dimmu Borgir album, 'Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia' in Terrorizor a few months back. The reviewer gave the album 7.5 out of 10: fair enough if he feels that way, but his reasons were obviously derived from the popular 'dislike' of Dimmu and had little to do with the album itself.

I know every man and his dog (an Australian saying) has his own review horror stories, but this one is mine due not to the reviewers opinion, but simply because of his apparent lack of integrity.

The man is a hack {like many metal reviewers}. Some of these jerks opinions are based on how many drinks the band bought for them. Black Sabbath used to be slagged in the 70's for this very reason, while crappy bands got rave reviews. I would rather read the unpaid reviews on amazon.com. At least those people are giving an honest opinion.

On Satan Stole My Teddybear they hardly ever praise an album... On the other hand, there are magazines that are far too generous with their good grades...

Originally posted by MacMoney
I somewhat agree with that Chedsey review about Blackwater Park. It just seems to lack something that the older albums had.
The thing is, do you agree with him for the reasons he listed...? Do you really find that BWP isn't focused enough, that it's just a collection of riffs put together carelessly? I don't see how anyone could think that...and if Chedsey thought this of BWP, what the hell would he think of Morningrise and Orchid? (yes I know he gave them very positive reviews...how very contradictory).

Originally posted by Useful Idiot

The thing is, do you agree with him for the reasons he listed...? Do you really find that BWP isn't focused enough, that it's just a collection of riffs put together carelessly? I don't see how anyone could think that...and if Chedsey thought this of BWP, what the hell would he think of Morningrise and Orchid? (yes I know he gave them very positive reviews...how very contradictory).

Mind you both, Chedsey doesn't merely write that about BP; his tirade extends to MAYH and Still Life, shockingly.

"While I freely admit both Orchid and Morningrise were two remarkable, groundbreaking efforts from this Swedish band, the resulting three albums since then (My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life and now Blackwater Park) have done little to capture my attention "

"(I maintain their last three albums sound as though they were thrown together in the studio, using various riffs Åkerfeldt had come up with goofing off around the house), Opeth is a band I tend to tune out and lose interest in partway through each given song. "

Anyone, but anyone, who says something like "I lose interest halfway in an Opeth song" clearly has not bothered to appreciate it. It's a hard matter of fact.

The sad thing about thick-skinned fanboys such as the likes of you guys is that you think anytime somebody submits a differing opinion than yours, that they must be suffering from some mental disability, or that they are simply "biased" or "jerks".

In reality, the only reason vehement opposition comes from these reviews is that they make some of you self-esteemless folks question your own opinions of the album. They threaten your safety.

Quite honestly, Rahul Joshi's review of the album is very good. I'm saying this, and I can't STAND Rahul Joshi as a person, so I'm far from biased. He made it explicitly clear why he didn't like the album, and while I disagree with his overall assessment, I can see some of the problems he points out. Somebody said he didn't mind reviews as long as they had "facts" and were backed up. This ignoramus obviously ignored the fact that Rahul PEPPERED his review with reasoning and examples.

You guys are way too offended by opinions other than your own. This would border on elitism, which is one of the more disgusting character traits I've found in metalheads.

I write for SSMT and yes, there are some BAD uneducated and poorly written reviews on the site...as there are on any other site. Rahul's Dream Theater review is one example and his Black Sabbath s/t review (one which he gave a good review, so you can see unlike yourselves, I don't base 'good reviews' on if I agree with them or not). Some of mine aren't very developed either, some of my earlier ones.

But you guys are simply taking offense because somebody challenged your opinions. You say reviewers are "trash" because they pan an album you like, yet you'd be praising the people if they agreed with you.

BTW, we aren't paid to write reviews either, so it's not like we have an agenda.

Simply put, some of you people look really pathetic with your vehement anger at somebody's valid opinion. I'm an Opeth fan, and I don't take offense at those opinions. I suggest you all shed your thick skin.

Originally posted by Useful Idiot

I love Opeth, especially Still Life and Morningrise, and I dislike Blackwater Park immensely because I don't see much progression within the band (which isn't a requirement, no), and the songs are pretty much formulaic Opeth, only they seemingly lack the spark and organization of Still Life, or the emotion of past works.

as for Akerfeldt singing off key, somebody mentioned in a prior thread...I disagree with Rahul's "off key" comment as well...

BUT, Mikael's vocal limitations are more visible than ever on this album. His clean voice was better when used sparingly, because in reality, Mikael is not that gifted a singer. He can carry a tune, and he sings clean simple melodies well, but any singing he does over an extended period of time shows straining, forcing and pushing notes, and a total lack of range of inflections or dynamics. While this worked when his clean singing was used sparingly, you can't get away with it long as a clean singer, unless you're in a band like Katatonia. Mikael's voice without processing probably doesn't sound so sharp and focused.

I still LIKE his vocals, but he is limited.

Originally posted by mindflesh
On Satan Stole My Teddybear they hardly ever praise an album... On the other hand, there are magazines that are far too generous with their good grades...

This is a laughable lie. There are considerable amounts of albums that are given high recommendations. I'd even say 70% of mine are. I suggest you read more than 5 reviews on a site that sports 2539 reviews before coming up with this opinion.