Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

Just posting to follow up an issue i mentioned aaages back. If people are having problems with alt selecting menus, there's a tick box the reaper preferences to suppress that

ctrl+D (windows)
Command+D (Mac)

Unless you are looking for it on someone else's computer. Then that doesn't help.

Also, used the slip editing for a guitar track in a breakdown. Make it ubber tight. It also made me realize how much I have to get back into practicing guitar.

STICKY, ftw.
Pl0x.

Also, I just tried this out and it works amazingly. But has anyone else run into the problem of editing the drums out of time? Haha.

I did that a few times. :/

Used this for the first time, took me on average about 3 hours per 5 minute song.

CAVEAT - drummer did NOT play to a click, so some of that time was spent figuring out average tempo per section, then slip editing to that (boy were those blast beats fun to get to the grid....). I've got to say, this method is SICK. Worked like a champ, more than you can imagine.

STICKY, ftw.
Pl0x.

Also, I just tried this out and it works amazingly. But has anyone else run into the problem of editing the drums out of time? Haha.

I did that a few times. :/

yes. yes i did that too. duplicate a room / overhead track and leave it ungrouped for reference... i scootched the whole song ahead a quarter note and didn't realize it til the damn thing was done. woops!

I used this over the weekend on some drum tracks.

The only problem I have is that the cut sometimes jumps forward a half bar from where I have selected and cuts a section I don't want, it's not a major problem but it messes with the flow of things, anyone else have this issue?

Öwen;8958994 said:
I used this over the weekend on some drum tracks.

The only problem I have is that the cut sometimes jumps forward a half bar from where I have selected and cuts a section I don't want, it's not a major problem but it messes with the flow of things, anyone else have this issue?

Uh no? Make sure snapping is disabled and that you aren't shaking your mouse violently and randomly while running the macro because it cuts at the mouse cursor, not where you place the edit cursor.

Uh no? Make sure snapping is disabled and that you aren't shaking your mouse violently and randomly while running the macro because it cuts at the mouse cursor, not where you place the edit cursor.

Ah fuck man, pure retard moment, I totally should have listened more carefully before I dived into it :erk:

Öwen;8959009 said:
Ah fuck man, pure retard moment, I totally should have listened more carefully before I dived into it :erk:

You have NO IDEA how many times I had to Ctrl-Z due to LOOKING at where I wanted the split, but was moving the mouse at the same time I was making the split :) You're not alone, believe me!!

I am using Pro Tools and want to use Reaper. All my drums are in PT now. How do I either get them into Reaper to start editing or Rewire it to PT?

Thanks, great tutorial. Really great. I am not liking BD as much these days and want something more efficient and to do what I ask it to do. This seems like it does that.

you want to get all your comping done, then consolidate, select all drum tracks, and ctrl+shift+K. make sure you bounce a midi file with embedded tempo info so your tempo map is in place in reaper.

hey darthjuju would you mind PMing me about how to embed the tempo info in a midi track in reaper? i've been trying to figure that out for the longest time and the search function has failed me. both google and UM ): thanks!