Recabinet

just downloaded the demo. will try out later. the website really looks nice! I'm just wondering, how will you protect the files from being copied out to magesy and co?

Perfectly good question. The demo is free to distribute, so we're not worried about that - it's free for everyone to use and enjoy. As for Recabinet 1.0, which will go on sale next week for $79.99 USD, obviously piracy is a very serious concern for us, as it is for any software developer. Each copy of Recabinet 1.0 sold through the website will be individually watermarked for each person that buys it.

In other words - if you upload your copy of Recabinet to a Bittorrent tracker or other file sharing service, we will find it, download it, and know exactly who you are. :wave:

Just tried this out on a track where I had been previously using Guitarhacks impulses. Do I have to do anything differently compared to using GH's impulses? They don't sound right to me. The level seem to be a good 10db lower than GH's. I tested it out in KeFir and SIR.
EDIT: Engaged the +12db button on SIR as well, seemed to help.

Just tried this out on a track where I had been previously using Guitarhacks impulses. Do I have to do anything differently compared to using GH's impulses? They don't sound right to me. The level seem to be a good 10db lower than GH's, and kinda sound like they were recorded through a blanket from a few feet away. I tested it out in KeFir and SIR.

Interesting, in the tests we've done (as well as tests done by some of our close friends), we've felt the exact opposite - that the free impulses out there sound muffled and are about 10db quieter than ours! :loco:

Everything is relative to what type of (real or virtual) preamp you're running through, what kind of sound you're going for, etc. Just like switching between real cabinets and real mics in the physical world, you can get a lot of variation with impulses as well, and it's inevitable that some experimentation with settings may be necessary sometimes.

If you can give some details about your setup (guitar, preamp, etc.) and possibly post a short clip, that would be very helpful. A screenshot of your settings might be helpful, too. Very surprised to hear this kind of feedback, because we've done extensive testing, but anything is possible.

I've been following this release since at least a month, so I'm really excited that the demo is finally out! This is going to be the longest working day ever. I can't wait to try those. Ha. :)

I'm not as moist as i thought while using revalver MK III...

So far i prefer GH's edge one... But i'll keep trying...

Edit: I appreciate the demo and will fire it up again and again to see what the situation is!

Interesting, in the tests we've done (as well as tests done by some of our close friends), we've felt the exact opposite - that the free impulses out there sound muffled and are about 10db quieter than ours! :loco:

Everything is relative to what type of (real or virtual) preamp you're running through, what kind of sound you're going for, etc. Just like switching between real cabinets and real mics in the physical world, you can get a lot of variation with impulses as well, and it's inevitable that some experimentation with settings may be necessary sometimes.

If you can give some details about your setup (guitar, preamp, etc.) and possibly post a short clip, that would be very helpful. A screenshot of your settings might be helpful, too. Very surprised to hear this kind of feedback, because we've done extensive testing, but anything is possible.

It was a track I've been working on for my demo, so it was the Fireball preamp. It certainly sounds better once the levels have been boosted, but it seems very dark still. I'll try and get a comparison between the old GH version and Recabinet version up.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and wow, clips already! Great stuff!

I will be checking this thread periodically today, and the clips will definitely make it to the website (thanks hoehlentroll!!) but I want to say again that it's a good idea to experiment with your settings a bit when trying out new impulses.

Specifically for Revalver users, make sure to turn off the cabinet distortion/crunch features if you want to hear the impulse in its purest form (although a little bit can sound cool.) Also, try running just a preamp module in front of the impulse as opposed to a head module - sometimes this can yield better results, since these impulses already model power tubes.

For users of other convolution plugins, make sure to disable convolution reverb tails, "earlyref," or any other such features related to reverb patches. This will result in a much tighter, more direct tone. Also make sure to go 100% wet, 0% dry with these plugins. We're still writing the documentation, but these are good general pointers across multiple platforms.

I personally have found SIR II on the Mac and Voxengo Boogex on the PC seem to sound the best, also, but again this is very subjective and depends on what you are trying to achieve. Each plugin sounds slightly different, although the differences can be pretty subtle or even unnoticeable in some cases.

did a quick check and really like them.
they have a certain warmth that i often miss in other impulses.
good work so far. :headbang:

Ok heres a comparison clip, just taking a small part of one of my new tracks. Excuse the lack of fade out and dodgy vocals, it's my first time.

GuitarHack: http://cid-5ba3958448d400f2.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Lost Empire GuitarHacktest.mp3

Recabinet: http://cid-5ba3958448d400f2.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Lost EmpireRecabinettest.mp3

Both are EQ'd though + Hi and Low passing.

Thanks for posting that!

Trippy stuff, I like the music a lot actually. I will say that both tones are a bit strange, and both sound good and bad in different ways. I'm curious what your setup is as far as guitar/pickups? Also, is this the exact same preamp track on both clips, with the impulses being the only difference?

EDIT: just saw that this is the fireball preamp. I will say that the picking attack is clearer on the Recabinet version, but that the "vibe" of the mix is clearly more tuned to the GuitarHack version. Overall I have to wonder if some experimentation with the Fireball settings might yield some fuller sounding results, but that would require you to reamp it of course.

I played with them for a minute this morning before I walked out for work. I actually used a little of crunch on the EL34/SM57 impulse and it sounded pretty sweet. I'll mess around with no crunch/drive when I get home. :kickass: