Recommend some Power/Prog.

Fucker said SLAB!

Anyways, you WILL like Manticora - 8 Deadly Sins, and you must also listen to Elvenking - Heathenreel, else I claim the rights to your life.

For awesome power metal, try Sonata Arctica.

For some nice prog, get Octavarium from Dream Theater. (You said you hated the vocals which I can understand, but his voice sounds really nice on this album.

Helloween (First three albums, as previously stated)
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Persuader
Savage Circus
Stormwarrior
Sonata Arctica

...many many others but I think these are at the top of my recommendations list for this genre.

Edit: Bahh, I have to add Primal Fear to that list also.

Tri-6 said:
I like the "power" more than the "prog" elements so what should I check out next?

Thanks

I REALLY dig Tad Morose's "Modus Vivendi." It is modern sounding, but has the in your face "oldschool" powermetal style to it like maybe Metal Church. If you don't read the rest of my post remember that one. I am an old fart, but I think some of the younger metal-heads will dig the shit out of this band !! As far as prog.... Dream Theater's "Images and Words" which is an old release is pretty much the "standard" by what other prog albums are compared to. Don't give up on Angel Dust. Try "Bleed" as it really good and lastly, though you said you don't care for ballads (and this has a few) try Vanden Plas "Far Off Grace." Despite the ballads, it is their most heavy and they are germany's best prog band.

Bryant

some Sonata Arctica is going on my wish list along with Blind Guardians first album. Along with some more Stratovarius and Kamelot. I did buy A Black Halo to replace my downloaded copy. I almost bought DT's Train Of Thought the other day since I read it was very guitar orientated and a lot heavier than some of the other stuff from them. But in the end I don't think I could handle the singer. So I picked up Master of Reality from Sabbath instead.

Too bad stores around here don't carry much power metal so I have to order it online.

How bout some Edguy - namely their savage poetry albumn
Ive always seen that as a pretty cool power metal albumn

Vandenplas is a really excellent band. Very well-written songs that arent overly composed or cheesy.

Personally Queensryche--a band I dont consider power or prog--is still the best. Not only did they write the best album in the genre, but their albums are still tolerable, interesting, and even dare I say, progressive, twenty years after Rage For Order and Mindcrime.

Angra's Angels Cry and Holy Land are both pretty good, but you have to like operatic vocals. And on that note, Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied is a fun slab of symphonic speed.

Tri-6 said:
some Sonata Arctica is going on my wish list along with Blind Guardians first album. Along with some more Stratovarius and Kamelot. I did buy A Black Halo to replace my downloaded copy. I almost bought DT's Train Of Thought the other day since I read it was very guitar orientated and a lot heavier than some of the other stuff from them. But in the end I don't think I could handle the singer. So I picked up Master of Reality from Sabbath instead.

Too bad stores around here don't carry much power metal so I have to order it online.

Dream Theater is intolerable. So much talent wasted. This is personal opinion of course. But I frankly dont know how anyone can stomach that singer, or the overly indulgent keyboard solos; just those two things alone turn me off.

speed said:
I frankly dont know how anyone can stomach that singer, or the overly indulgent keyboard solos; just those two things alone turn me off.

LOL .. I know what you mean. What did you think of their last album? I was actually disappointed .. most of their songs weren't very progressive I thought ..at least not as much as I was used to.

The lyrics and melodies were also not great ..definitely not as good as they were in the past.

Iced Earth-Night of The Stormrider. Power/Thrash.

Not wanky or gay while demenstrating great riffs,solos & harmonies. I suggest picking up the remastered version because it's one of the best sounding,tightest cds you will play on your stereo set up ever.

Zero Dude said:
Iced Earth is a good one to check out.

Burnt Offerings
Dark Saga
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Horror Show

I have heard IE's whole catalog and I cannot stand them. They are the epitome of Generic Metal. IMO of course.