RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
MetalNoob said:
I'm guessing, but I assume that they got their name from the Blackstar they made on Swansong (probably my favorite song on that album)

Yes. I saw them on their ONLY tour in 96, (supporting Anathema and Cathedral, oddly), where Jeff Walkers comment was "Death Metal is fucking dead, get over it - we are Blackstar") - the opening track was "Instrumental".

:kickass:

That night, blackcurrant hooch - 69p a can.

Me= Hammered :kickass:

MetalNoob said:
Just hearing the guy talk and really looking into and connecting the various albums he's made.. I'll leave it at that he's pretty fucking smart... just a little eccentric.

oh yeah hes fuckin strange at times but its all good. with all the effort that he puts into his albums i don't quite see where all the hate comes from. he didn't click with me right away but after rediscovering his band and SYL i learned my mistake( man can i ever say that about a few bands:rolleyes: )

Carcassian said:
Yes. I saw them on their ONLY tour in 96, (supporting Anathema and Cathedral, oddly), where Jeff Walkers comment was "Death Metal is fucking dead, get over it - we are Blackstar") - the opening track was "Instrumental".

:kickass:

That night, blackcurrant hooch - 69p a can.

Me= Hammered :kickass:

Man I wish I went to that concert :cry:. Oh well, I really don't think death metal is dead at all. Just the old school bands stuff is dead.

He did, at the time. That's why so many of the lyrics on that album allude to Carcass.

EDIT "You don't know what you've got / Until it's gone / Cant change the tune / But I sure as hell can change the song" - Better The Devil You Know - about the critical reaction to Swansong

The sooner JW records a DM album the better. As a lyric writer, only Martin Walkyier exceeds his talent. Jeff Walker must have been one hell of a morgage advisor.

Carcassian said:
Kind of like Swansong, but with a more prevalent NWOBHM influence (Lizzy / Tygers of Pang Tang), hook laden, (very) sarcastic lyrics from Jeff Walker and added sax/trumpet sections.

It got very average (6/10) reviews upon release. Personally, I think it fucking rules, and is at least twice the album Swansong is (and I like Swansong). It benefits from not having a sulky Bill Steer on it, to be honest.

the lyrics were a big part of why i liked swansong plus they had a pretty catchy delivery. that album definitely benifited from being more straight forward than a technical showcase. that album should have recieved more recognition for its crossover potential as it clearly showed another side of what death metal could be.

fat bastard said:
the lyrics were a big part of why i liked swansong plus they had a pretty catchy delivery. that album definitely benifited from being more straight forward than a technical showcase. that album should have recieved more recognition for its crossover potential as it clearly showed another side of what death metal could be.

Agreed to the fucking max. While the critics wanked over Death n' Roll like Entombed and Desultory, they hung Carcass out to dry. Wankers.

Can anyone recommend me some Melodic Black metal in the vein of early Dissection and Sacramentum? Preferably without keyboards, i want a guitar driven band(s). Thanks

The Timebird said:
DISSECTION ARENT LIKE SACRAMENTUM FSHfddsklfdsjhklgsfdjlkjhklfdjfd

Their similar in style, but Sacramentum trumps them in execution (at least on Far Away From the Sun).

The Timebird said:
btw i refuse to compare sacramentum to anybody because that would involve bringing them down by association

This is true, can you recommend me something similar to Sacramentum but is obviously less good ? :D

J Mann said:
Their similar in style, but Sacramentum trumps them in execution (at least on Far Away From the Sun).

i think too much is made of this supposed likeness, dissection are way more trad-orientated and the atmosphere is completely different

This is true, can you recommend me something similar to Sacramentum but is obviously less good ? :D

i actually don't think i can, i don't know any bands who really sound that much like them, sorry >.<

i need some CLASSIC black metal that kicks ass! im in love with bathory and burzum, venom is pretty good as well but there more of a fun black metal band than anything IMO

i need some CLASSIC black metal that kicks ass! im in love with bathory and burzum, venom is pretty good as well but there more of a fun black metal band than anything IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.