RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erik said:
you know, for being a self-styled "noise musician" you sure know very little about what "digital noise" is

I don't make digital noise. I use analog gear. Microphones, guitar pedals, a mixer, a sound generator, etc. Nattens Madrigal is pretty much very artificial sounding. Everything is very clear and audible...the production is just sharp and harsh and sounds very "digital."

What do you think of the production Erik? I'd love to know what you hear when you listen to it that makes you call me out on my definitions (which are pretty much founded as a lot of black metal could be termed lo-fi and also raw, which leads one to believe that they're sometimes or often one in the same).

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I don't make digital noise. I use analog gear.
i don't care actually

V.V.V.V.V. said:
What do you think of the production Erik? I'd love to know what you hear when you listen to it that makes you call me out on my definitions (which are pretty much founded as a lot of black metal could be termed lo-fi and also raw, which leads one to believe that they're sometimes or often one in the same).
no i know that it is artificially grimmified in a decent studio but i don't think it sounds digital at all. there is no digital clipping etc in it like you seem to imply.

edit: ok you actually do make a bit of sense but why first state that it is "clear and audible" and then that it has "digital noise"? it doesn't have "digital noise"

Carcassian said:
I didn't think he implied clipping, as a point of order.
no but what then is "digital noise"? a digital recording is theoretically 100% noise-free by definition; any noise will come from analog sources... unless he means digitally generated actual noise (like white noise artificially added to the recording) but there's obviously none of that in the album

Erik said:
no i know that it is artificially grimmified in a decent studio but i don't think it sounds digital at all. there is no digital clipping etc in it like you seem to imply.

edit: ok you actually do make a bit of sense but why first state that it is "clear and audible" and then that it has "digital noise"? it doesn't have "digital noise"

Well yeah the lack of clipping is just a matter of being professional about levels, though, isn't it? I'm implying that if you listen in the back of the guitars, you can hear a buzzy, white noise type of sound that definitely sounds like it was just added over the guitar tracks or something. If anything, this album is overproduced whereas a lot of black metal goes for an underproduced, what I consider to be "raw" sound...everything is perfectly audible, so I don't really understand how that is very "raw" because, to me at least, raw implies that there's bad quality in terms of level control or it sounds like they just mic'd the room pretty badly. Almost all black metal sounds this way...NM is obviously "black metal" but its production has always been pretty anomalous to me. All of the instruments are audible and in the forefront (in contrast to plenty of BM that highlights one sound spectrum over another).

Also, about the apparent contradiction in terms, the "digital noise" I speak of is just that underlying static sound. It sounds like it was just thrown on post-production, doesn't it?

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Well yeah the lack of clipping is just a matter of being professional about levels, though, isn't it? I'm implying that if you listen in the back of the guitars, you can hear a buzzy, white noise type of sound that definitely sounds like it was just added over the guitar tracks or something.
i'd say it it sounds more like a case of using ridiculous high-frequency eq-boost to overdrive the multitrack tape

V.V.V.V.V. said:
If anything, this album is overproduced whereas a lot of black metal goes for an underproduced, what I consider to be "raw" sound...everything is perfectly audible, so I don't really understand how that is very "raw" because, to me at least, raw implies that there's bad quality in terms of level control or it sounds like they just mic'd the room pretty badly. Almost all black metal sounds this way...NM is obviously "black metal" but its production has always been pretty anomalous to me. All of the instruments are audible and in the forefront (in contrast to plenty of BM that highlights one sound spectrum over another).
ok yeah i agree but "raw" is a really dumb term

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Also, about the apparent contradiction in terms, the "digital noise" I speak of is just that underlying static sound. It sounds like it was just thrown on post-production, doesn't it?
i really don't think so. it sounds like overdriven equalizers, pre-amps and multitrack tapes. in that sense, sure it's "artifically added noise" because they did want it to distort but i don't think it sounds particularly digital and they most definitely have not overlaid actual digital white noise

wow i just witnessed an internet forum argument where people managed to come to an agreement on semantics but disagree on the actual points rather than the far too common inverse

Status
Not open for further replies.