RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
byrne said:
I recommend everyone goes and see KREATOR live if they get a chance. Saw them last night for the first time and they RULED!

Set list as follows:

CHOIR OF THE DAMNED
ENEMY OF GOD
IMPOSSIBLE BRUTALITY
EXTREME AGGRESSION
PEOPLE OF THE LIE
VOICES OF THE DEAD
THE PATRIARCH
VIOLENT REVOLUTION
SUICIDE TERRORIST
AWAKENING OF THE GODS
COMA OF SOULS
PLEASURE TO KILL
PHOBIA
TERRIBLE CERTAINTY
RIOT OF VIOLENCE
BETRAYER
TERROR ZONE
LOVE US OR HATE US
FLAG OF HATE
TORMENTOR

Hails!

\m/ :headbang:

2403.jpg

byrne said:
I recommend everyone goes and see KREATOR live if they get a chance. Saw them last night for the first time and they RULED!

Set list as follows:

CHOIR OF THE DAMNED
ENEMY OF GOD
IMPOSSIBLE BRUTALITY
EXTREME AGGRESSION
PEOPLE OF THE LIE
VOICES OF THE DEAD
THE PATRIARCH
VIOLENT REVOLUTION
SUICIDE TERRORIST
AWAKENING OF THE GODS
COMA OF SOULS
PLEASURE TO KILL
PHOBIA
TERRIBLE CERTAINTY
RIOT OF VIOLENCE
BETRAYER
TERROR ZONE
LOVE US OR HATE US
FLAG OF HATE
TORMENTOR

Hails!
ALWAYS the same setlist... ALWAYS

kreator is such an utterly predictable live band

The Greys said:
I need some early to middle 90's darkened death/black metal bands. As some of you know I like the music that borders inbetween. If something is really obscure or hard to get don't recomend it because i'm done looking for obscure things. Something semi-popular maybe.
You should try Morte incandescente - ...Your Funeral

The Greys said:
I need some early to middle 90's darkened death/black metal bands. As some of you know I like the music that borders inbetween. If something is really obscure or hard to get don't recomend it because i'm done looking for obscure things. Something semi-popular maybe.

Emperor's "IX Equilibrium" is an excellent offering of blackened death metal, even if it isn't from the time period you suggested. I still recommend you get it, though, if you haven't already.

swizzlenuts said:
I didn't get that set list when I saw them last time.
it might have been shorter but i can promise you that nearly all of the songs were included in the above list (unless it was before enemy of god, in which case the setlist was exactly the same except with more violent revolution songs)

for example let us compare this setlist to their 2003 dvd (except we remove the enemy of god songs)

EXTREME AGGRESSION
PEOPLE OF THE LIE
THE PATRIARCH
VIOLENT REVOLUTION
AWAKENING OF THE GODS
COMA OF SOULS
PLEASURE TO KILL
PHOBIA
TERRIBLE CERTAINTY
RIOT OF VIOLENCE
BETRAYER
TERROR ZONE

LOVE US OR HATE US
FLAG OF HATE
TORMENTOR

i have bolded the songs that were also on the dvd setlist

Erik said:
it might have been shorter but i can promise you that nearly all of the songs were included in the above list (unless it was before enemy of god, in which case the setlist was exactly the same except with more violent revolution songs)
I didn't get Coma of Souls =(

so they cut out one song whoa

i've seen them twice + seen the dvd + seen a bunch of recent setlists posted in different places and it's very nearly ALWAYS the same songs. they ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS end with flag of hate/tormentor, for instance. ALWAYS betrayer and people of the lie. ALWAYS phobia as their token ("hey we can't forget the period when we sucked") song... etc

:lol: it was nice for me, a fan that hadn't heard them until way late.

EDIT: now I know I don't have to go to their show ever again, because I've always seen it.

Hey all, I'm new here and relatively new to metal. I've actually been listening to some metal for about 10 years, but only in the last 3 I've been getting into it.
Lots of great info here, can you all suggest other bands I would like? Here are some examples of the metal I like.
Arch Enemy
Amorphis
Chimaira
Darkane
Devildriver
Devin Townsend (STL, DTB, everything he does)
Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine is BAD ASS!
The Haunted
In Flames
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Nevermore
Opeth
Pantera
Sepultura (Chaos A.D. is my fav)
Soilwork
Trivium
Witchery

Things in metal that are important to me:
Production - I tend to lean to very clean production. I love a good balance between the instruments and vocals. Production, to me at least, can mean the difference in liking and album and hating an album. St. Anger comes to mind.
Vocals - probably the most important, especially to a newbie. Vocals don't need to be "clean" but I can't stand that really low guttaral shit that sounds like Dr. Claw with a horrible head cold. I really don't like Power Metal, due to the vocals. Some power metal bands have outstanding music, but when the vocals start and it sounds like an opera singer with his balls caught in his zipper, I just can't continue. Even if the singer doesn't repeatedly show off his ability to hit the higher registers, they tend to abuse vibrato. I've recently become enamored with Opeth, after getting Ghost Reveries. The harsh vocals are difficult to understand at times unless you are reading the lyrics, but the quality of music and "feeling" of the album make it worth while.

Drums - I hate the frantic, machine gun-like snare drum hits, and so much going on in the background you can't tell wtf is going on. Drums are definitely a favorite part of the music to me. Who doesn't like playing air drums?

Guitar - very important, I love clean production and catchy, inventive riffs. Some guitar work that I really like which comes to mind is Arch Enemy's the Ammot Bros. They are awesome.

Lyrics - Not critically important, but I'm getting tired of a few things. Bands that try to shove political propaganda down listener's throats for example. You don't like George Bush...I don't either, but sing about something else. I also don't like the overly satanic vibes some bands use. The "We're hardcore and worship satan and kill goats and by the way go kill your sister" type stuff is worn out and frankly boring to me at this point.

I've rambled on enough. If anyone has a band that they think I would like, suggest away! Thanks :headbang:

Agalloch
Atheist
Cynic
Death
Disillusion
Candlemass
Solstice
Arghoslent
Unanimated
Eucharist
At the Gates
Arsis
Psycroptic
The Crown
Destroyer 666

I don't want to think any more... Various Genres here

EDIT: Thanks for using the Reco thread.

LoL I still remember the music too. Can't remember what happened yesterday but I still remember stuff like that....sheesh :)

swizzlenuts said:
Agalloch
Atheist
Cynic
Death
Disillusion
Candlemass
Solstice
Arghoslent
Unanimated
Eucharist
At the Gates
Arsis
Psycroptic
The Crown
Destroyer 666

I don't want to think any more... Various Genres here

EDIT: Thanks for using the Reco thread.

I endorse this list.

EDIT:
Scar Symmetry
Primordial
Void of Silence
Gorguts
Hypocrisy
Farmakon (especially if you like Opeth...think of a jazzier version)
Wintersun
Liege Lord
Symphony X
(early)Iced Earth

a good mish mash of artists you should check out

Status
Not open for further replies.