RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Base Delta Zero said:
I just saw the video for 'The Pestilence That Walketh in Darkness', by Cryptopsy on Headbangers Ball the other night and it was good.

Anyways, I'm out of touch with some of the more modern tech/math metal. I'd like recommendations for some more tech metal from the past 3-4 years with an emphasis of good production.

pretty much all tech-death has good production these days

Krisiun
Kataklysm
Origin
Cephalic Carnage (kind of bordering on grindcore but yeah)

The only good Necrophagist album is Onset Of Putrefaction (there are only two, and Epitaph is completely awkward and horrible).

Also check out:
Blastfame
Gory Blister (terrible name but amazing band...there's a link in my sig...click their logo)

The Necrophagist sites 'Onset of Putrefaction' mp3s didn't seem to work but I actually didn't mind the 'Epitaph' songs.

Thanks for the recommendations - they're all great. I've actually been sitting here listening to everything their sites have to offer.

I recommend you buy this when it comes out.

tbatb.jpg

Most modern Death (especially Tech Death) has the most god-awful production I've ever heard. So fucking mechanical to the point of boredom.

Some tech death sucks (such as most Unique Leader br00thal Cali scene dm). My favorite tech death bands are:

Pavor (see above)
Illogicist
Coram Lethe
Natron
Spawn of Possession
Psycroptic

Dodens Grav said:
Most modern Death (especially Tech Death) has the most god-awful production I've ever heard. So fucking mechanical to the point of boredom.

The antidote? Swede-death sunlight studios sounding goodness.

Organic death metal > jazzy, tech-death wankery.

Dodens Grav said:

This is why I just listen to older death metal(I'm sure you do). I don't like being assauted by upfront kick drums that sound pasted. I also do not like really fast drumming majority of the time, it sounds like a drummer is seeing how many snare hits he can do in 3,4 minutes. You can get the equivalant tone of most fast drummers clicking a pencil. How much compression can you use on guitars, your halfstacks no longer sounds expensive, but resemble a piece of cardboard.

I think technology is destroying music. Some older bands I enjoy are even going alittle to far with digital pro-tools production nowadays. So many bands sound confined and quite because production. What happend to power. Why does your guitar sound like it's being played through a 10 watt amp.

Analog metallica recordings from 83,84 sound better than any new bands production jobs.

Uh SoP is pretty much Cali-scene DM type stuff. Even though a lot of UL shit is very very overproduced and overdone, I tend to like it a lot.

The Greys said:
I think technology is destroying music. Some older bands I enjoy are even going alittle to far with digital pro-tools production nowadays. So many bands sound confined and quite because production. What happend to power. Why does your guitar sound like it's being played through a 10 watt amp.

Analog metallica recordings from 83,84 sound better than any new bands production jobs.

I think that this is an excellent point, actually. Some modern production is ultimately rendered sterile, while other sound too slick and professional. I think there is definitely a point at which production can sound too well done to be truly metal. A case in point: contrast say Arch Enemy / Andy Sneap production of late with The Enchanted. The Enchanted certainly sound raw, under produced and relatively sloppy, but music aside, the sound has much more character and personality than the digital tooled wonder production.

I think pro-tools should be banned in general.To many artists re not even worth being aroud but with pro-tools they can sound just as good as needed. ie: all pop stars who really can't sing but can thanks to pro-tools.

BRING BACK ANALOG!!!!!!

It also depends on the style of Metal as well. I can understand Power Metal and Heavy Metal having a rather polished production, but generally, Thrash, Death and Black Metal are suited for a more organic presentation.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Uh SoP is pretty much Cali-scene DM type stuff. Even though a lot of UL shit is very very overproduced and overdone, I tend to like it a lot.
Production wise, yes. But I think that in terms of composition, they are a bit less br00tal and more technical than bands such as Decrepit Birth, Severed Savior, etc.

V.V.V.V.V. said:

really ?

That's weird. To me most of the UL stuff sounds unmastered. The drums,guitars don't have any fullness or anything. Some of the most bizzare production jobs imo. I'm not saying all the re-release, but majority.

They're just as sterile, though, I think was my point. Sterility isn't a bad thing in this case though...old Deeds of Flesh is amazing!

Dodens Grav said:
It also depends on the style of Metal as well. I can understand Power Metal and Heavy Metal having a rather polished production, but generally, Thrash, Death and Black Metal are suited for a more organic presentation.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.