RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
V.V.V.V.V. said:
Those bands are all good, but I don't find any of them to be as emotionally poignant as TJR-era In Flames...

Me either.

I don't think eucharist is all that great personally.

Unanimated's Ancient God Of Evil is pretty good but far less melodic than In Flames, which is why I find them to be a little less interesting, perhaps. Eucharist's Mirrorworlds and A Velvet Creation are good discs but, again, nowhere near IF. :)

Unanimated is more like death/black like say necrophobic. While being melodic is still very different than old in flames or even heartwork.

V5 and The Greys, are there any melodic death albums you consider better than early In Flames, my only guess is The Greys saying an early Sentenced album.

Omnium Gatherum - Spirits And August Light and Holymarsh - In The Holymarsh are both in the running with TJR for my favorite melo-death album ever...

BurningWitch said:
V5 and The Greys, are there any melodic death albums you consider better than early In Flames, my only guess is The Greys saying an early Sentenced album.

Sentenced-north from here :lol: (the perfect metal album). Sentenced basically owned everyone with this imo.
Dissection-storm of the lights bane,the somberlain
Amorphis-tales from the thousand lakes
Edge of Sanity-the spectral sorrows,purgatory afterglow
Opeth-my arms your hearse,morningrise,orchid.

I am probably forgetting some. I have Gates of Ishtar 'the dawn of flames' coming in the mail and have a feeling it's going to be 'the one'.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I like Demonication, but I actually probably like The Apostate even more (though it technicall contains most/all of Demonication. The Apostate is really good symphonic death metal; something you don't see much, if at all.
I do, although I haven't listened to it in a while, I think the main problem with the Apostate was that there were too many spoken samples, something which interrupted the flow of this otherwise fine album

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Omnium Gatherum - Spirits And August Light and Holymarsh - In The Holymarsh are both in the running with TJR for my favorite melo-death album ever...

Yes, this album is simply FANTASTIC. One of the best ... if not the best melodeath albums ever.

In Flames blows ass. The Greys, when Agalloch starts playing shitty modern rock like In Flames, then you can say "fuck Agalloch." And every Agalloch release is better than anything In Flames could do, even albums like The Jester Race have nothing on The Mantle. In Flames are really shitty melodic death too, Heartwork > Any In Flames.

I'd agree with all of this post aside from the fact that I learned to like THe Lunar Strain recently, which fucking destroys Heartwork.

Agalloch however is better than In Flames infinifold. (Wonder if that is even a real word.)

For some reason, The keyboard (or whatever it is) intro in The Gallery(song) by Dark Tranquillity just sounds so fucking awesome It just has a wierd kind of mood and feeling that I have never felt before. Are DTs earlier albums apart from The Gallery, and early enough so they hadn't hit the big keyboard stage any good?

hey, Zeph, I think you may be interested in band called Axis of Perdition...especially since you like Anaal Nathrakh. Check out the album The Ichenumon Method

unknown said:
hey, Zeph, I think you may be interested in band called Axis of Perdition...especially since you like Anaal Nathrakh. Check out the album The Ichenumon Method

I've been meaning to check these guys out for a while. I've heard good things about these guys.

they're amazing, but I don't think anything they've made has been as awesome as their first cd, The Ichneumon Method. Their last cd, Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital, was pretty sweet (it sounded sort of like Blut Aus Nord) but it wasn't nearly as brutal.

BurningWitch said:
For some reason, The keyboard (or whatever it is) intro in The Gallery(song) by Dark Tranquillity just sounds so fucking awesome It just has a wierd kind of mood and feeling that I have never felt before. Are DTs earlier albums apart from The Gallery, and early enough so they hadn't hit the big keyboard stage any good?

Yes.

Go out and buy "The Mind's I". It's a masterpiece on almost equal ground with "The Gallery" and is pretty much absent of any keyboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.