RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
any albums in particular?

Pagan Altar- Volume One (Lord of Hypocrisy is also amazing)
Cirith Ungol- One Foot In Hell (any are good)
Candlemass- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation are all amazing too)
Pentagram- Pentagram or Be Forewarned (Day of Reckoning is awesome as well)
Withfinder General- Death Penalty (Free Country is one of my fav. songs ever) and Friends of Hell (get both_)

These are all good for someone new into the Doom scene.

Edit:

Solstice- Lamentations is also essential.

speaking of Solitude Aeturnus, can anyone give me good trad doom album recommendations. I don't own any trad doom besides Sabbath, I need more.

Basically the list Necuratul posted not too long ago. Saint Vitus is pretty much essential trad. doom, all the albums are good, but I recommend you try and get at least one album with each vocalist.

I'm looking for thoughtful, epic, heavy metal in the vein of Judas Priest's "Dreamer Deceiver", Iron Maiden's "Hallowed be Thy Name" Manowar's "Battle Hymns" (song), Virgin Steele's "Mind, Body, Spirit, or almost anything off of Candlemass's debut. Thanks.

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within, Awaken The Guardian
Fireaxe

speaking of Solitude Aeturnus, can anyone give me good trad doom album recommendations. I don't own any trad doom besides Sabbath, I need more.

Confessor's "Condemned", if you want something a bit different. I'm gonna namedrop Ras Algethi here too, 'cause whilst they certainly aren't traditional doom, they're doom of sorts with clean vocals (and they're my favourite doom band).

i was really into how quality the non-metal elements were. the indie/postrock elements would be just as good taken out of context, as opposed to most bands of the sort who just write a diddly little melody and whine over it and say "eh, it's good enough for the emo kids".

i need some new blackened death metal.

not new but the best.

Sentenced -north from here
Dissection -storm of the lights bane.

.... on a side note Celtic Frost -monotheist is boring awful garbage. 'morbid tales' :headbang:

"Monotheist" is pretty good, but it doesn't compare with "Morbid Tales" or "To Mega Therion".

Why? That album was awful.

Listen to older Celtic Frost, if you havent.

I heard Celtic Frost's older albums years ago. Like pretty much everyone has and personally they never did much for me.

For me Monotheist is far deeper, darker, and intelligant than anything they have done before and the production and atmosphere is some of the best i've ever heard.

I've been searching around for a good few weeks now for anything in the same style but all I keep finding is funeral doom or doom like Sahg.

Status
Not open for further replies.