RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: "Brutal riffs."

Lots of bands sing about death, that doesn't make them death metal. Some death metal bands don't sing about death.

Yes, I think often too many people consider the type of vocals of a band and draw a connection to a genre, and quite ignorantly. I don't see how Opeth is death metal at all.

Or for example, when people say Children of Bodom are black metal because of the singer's "harsh" vocals - they have no black metal influence whatsoever.

Is Horna's Ääniä Yössä any good?

Its a pretty good album. Though I have much of their catalogue downloaded, I've never really checked them out except for this album. A muddish production, piercing vocals...I wouldn't say its anything amazing though.

I don't see how "death metal" is not an adequate description for fucking Opeth. With the exception of some elitist fags, no one really quibbles over Death, Cynic, early Katatonia, Atheist etc. being death metal. So why is it so incorrect for Opeth? I'm not saying all those bands are like Opeth - but they are all similarly removed from death metal and in some cases are less "death metal-esque". The major thing you'd argue about Opeth not being death metal, is the aforementioned elitist argument - that being the music is not a deconstruction of western values. In which case, half the fucking bands on the planet would not be considered "real death metal", which is just plain stupid given what "genre" descriptions are meant to be.

I don't see how "death metal" is not an adequate description for fucking Opeth. With the exception of some elitist fags, no one really quibbles over Death, Cynic, early Katatonia, Atheist etc. being death metal. So why is it so incorrect for Opeth? I'm not saying all those bands are like Opeth - but they are all similarly removed from death metal and in some cases are less "death metal-esque". The major thing you'd argue about Opeth not being death metal, is the aforementioned elitist argument - that being the music is not a deconstruction of western values. In which case, half the fucking bands on the planet would not be considered "real death metal", which is just plain stupid given what "genre" descriptions are meant to be.

Well I don't see how they're death metal...Aside from some death metal vocals, and the occassional riff or two - I just don't see how that is enough to call them death metal....?

morbid themes
melodic death riffs
thick, heavy drumming (blastbeats etc)
death vocals
self-admitted death metal roots

what the hell else do you need? a badge saying you are in the death metal club? regardless of whether you like opeth or not, they are more death metal than anything else, thus the tag "death metal" is appropriate.

there are no such things as "genres" no two bands are the same unless they're just blatantly ripping off a better popular band which actually accounts for most bands that claim to be part of a "genre" and if your influences are obvious, you fail...

um...

nothing is anything.

everything is everything else and nothing and nothing ever was something, other than that it is everything.

"you" and "me" do not "exist", let alone do "genres".

it's all clouds of atoms and whatever thoughts are made of....

Way to utterly fucking fail it, Grimace. Dissecting things into smaller things for the sake of ambiguation = lol.

LOOK THESE WORDS THAT I AM TYPING ARE NOTHING MORE THAN THE VISUAL REPRESENATIONS OF 1's AND 0's. NOTHING IS ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IS NOTHING.

so you'd argue that "death metal" and "genres" do exist?

that there's even a way to classify what "kind" of music a band plays, never mind deciding that another band plays that "kind", and that these classifications are permanent and timeless?

would something that was called "pyoor tr00 deth methul" in 1989 get anywhere near that much credit if it was released in 2007?

i'm not bullshitting, and YOU, kind sir, FAIL. :mad:

i just realized that if i hit my right shift key and "a" nothing happens but if i hit the left shift it works. FUCK. WTF.

so you'd argue that "death metal" and "genres" do exist?

that there's even a way to classify what "kind" of music a band plays, never mind deciding that another band plays that "kind", and that these classifications are permanent and timeless?

would something that was called "pyoor tr00 deth methul" in 1989 get anywhere near that much credit if it was released in 2007?

It's classification by similarities. The similarities can fall under a plethora of different categories, but the core classifications are often intended to cover the broadest use of these similarities possible.

black%20avalon.jpg

HT-125.gif

WTF? How are both of these things able to be called a "chair". They have no similarities what-so-ever. The differences between the two is so profound that classifying them as the same thing is fucking stupid.

[/iknowthisconceptsucksbutfuckoff,k?]

the point, tho, is there's nothing saying that the bottom one isn't a skinny couch or an elaborate stool, that the top one isn't a small, short table where the person on one side looks like they're in jail. they can both be called "furniture" because of how they are used, as "death metal" and "funk" are intentionally produced sounds meant to be listened to and enjoyed and are, therefore, "music", but not really "death metal" or "funk", since one's deciding that their differences warrant classification is an arbitrarily chosen stopping point in just how far we can measure "difference" and "sameness"... the more i try to justify classification and understand that point of view, the more i realize that it's bullshit and that nothing should ever be "genre"-ized, only compared to specific other similar albums and artists.

it's not about division, it's about unity, brotha!

It's about neither! It's about convenient systems of classification so that everything can be archived accurately and forgotten about! It's about umbrella categorization, assumption and intent!

It's about a lot of things, but fuck it can be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.