RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opeth are most certainly a Death Metal band. They cite their main influence as Morbid Angel. Of course some of their songs are not Death metal at all. Morbid Angel had some instrumental songs, which weren't death metal at all, does that make them an Instrumental Rock band, nope. They are a pure death metal band. The majority of Opeth's vocals are Death metal as fuck. Also, who can say what style of riffs are death metal and which are not. Acoustic riffs, Distortion, Solos/No Solos, E-Bow, Keyboards, Mellotron...these can all be incorporated in music of any genre, without altering the brand of music which is acheived by a band.

How does one limit any band to one genre anyway... if a band plays metal with very fast riffs/drums does that make them a speed metal band???? exactly what constitutes "thrashing", and if a band sings about death are they a death metal band or an emo band...

There are many band which use a vocal style which is commonly called "death metal vocals", which usually implies they are a death metal band, unless their other influences outweight their death metal content. Opeth have alot of Progressive aspects in their music, but they also have a majority of death metal aspects, so they are commonly called "Progressive Death Metal". period.

The only thing death metal about Opeth is the occasional growled vocals. I'm not carrying that arguement any further because it's been argued countless times on this board.

They arn't death metal because their music has more similar to prog. metal bands and prog. rock bands than it does any death metal band, the occasional "death metal riff" doesn't change the fact that most of their music isn't death metal. They're prog. metal nothing else can be said to change that fact.

They aren't death metal because their music has more similar to prog. metal bands and prog. rock bands than it does any death metal band, the occasional "death metal riff" doesn't change the fact that most of their music isn't death metal. They're prog. metal nothing else can be said to change that fact.

Ummmm..........NO.

Opeth have no similarity to any Prog Metal bands whatsoever. Maybe you haven't heard alot of Opeth's music, but I can tell you that it is nothing similar to Dream Theater etc...

I've heard all of their albums and I can honestly draw far more comparisons to Pink Floyd or Scholomance than I can say Incantation or Morbid Angel.

^^ lol maybe you haven't heard any prog...

and you can't end a mincy wandering statement with the "period." thing and expect it to make up for you not making a point...

badger.gif
operthz
badger.gif

Ive been listening to melodic death metal for a long time now and have found tons of great band, but i cant get enough of them.
The one i like the most are band with insane melodys (keyboard\synth is a must)
So can you recommand some brilliant melodeath(with some sick keyboard\synth solos) ?

Bands i like in the genre(not just melodeath, but metal and synth):

Soilwork
Children of Bodom
Skyfire
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Kalmah
Burn In Silence
Naildown
Blood Stain Child
Mygrain
Mors Principium Est
Dan Swano\Edge of Sanity
(Sonata Arctica)...............tons of other...

Bring em on, and thanks......

Ive been listening to melodic death metal for a long time now and have found tons of great band, but i cant get enough of them.
The one i like the most are band with insane melodys (keyboard\synth is a must)
So can you recommand some brilliant melodeath(with some sick keyboard\synth solos) ?

Bands i like in the genre(not just melodeath, but metal and synth):

Soilwork
Children of Bodom
Skyfire
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Kalmah
Burn In Silence
Naildown
Blood Stain Child
Mygrain
Mors Principium Est
Dan Swano\Edge of Sanity
(Sonata Arctica)...............tons of other...

Bring em on, and thanks......

Omnium Gatherum (first album only)

Status
Not open for further replies.