RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Recolections is certainly my least favorite DM album from Sweden. I just don't see what so many of you see in it. It's been mildly entertaining for a while, but it lacks something truly special that distinguishes it from the rest. I like unique DM.

no I mean pink floyd and king crimson

come on guys. I'm looking for something like opeth and novembre, regardless of the genre it is

- slow
- atmospheric
- clean vocals
- emotional (sad)
- excellent acoustic guitarwork

Damnit, I'd be surprised if you havn't heard it, but I have to recommend Tiamat - Wildhoney.

Carnage predated Dismember, but LAEFS is better (though in another style). Carnage was just very important and seminal, thus why they are so highly rated. :)

Re-sticked btw...wtf?

I'm really liking Atheist at the moment, and I'm wondering if there are any other bands besides Cynic who have a similar dynamic.

Pestilence's last 2 albums
Coroner - Mental Vortex

Also, Steve Flynn (drummer from Atheist) has a new band that sound very much like Atheist, they're called Gnostic. Not as good though.

Grave doesn't get enough credit either.

Aside from the bewilderingly venerated Carnage, Grave always struck me as the mot tedious of the Swede Death explosion.

Their dvd is good though. Great direction and camera work goes some way to alleviating the hum-drum songwriting.

I recently became a huge fan of Cathedral (that is, 1993-onward Cathedral), and I was wondering if anyone knows of any bands like them. I'm talkin' about that bluesy, psychedelic groove, that beefy low-to-midpace metal sound, the toungue-in-cheek vocal style, and so forth. I'm not too familiar with the world of stoner metal besides having heard Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age, which are of course nothing like Cathedral.

So what's the next best thing to these stoner/doom gods?

I recently became a huge fan of Cathedral (that is, 1993-onward Cathedral), and I was wondering if anyone knows of any bands like them. I'm talkin' about that bluesy, psychedelic groove, that beefy low-to-midpace metal sound, the toungue-in-cheek vocal style, and so forth. I'm not too familiar with the world of stoner metal besides having heard Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age, which are of course nothing like Cathedral.

First three albums of Orange Goblin. Fo' real, homes.

For exactly the style you are asking, first of all this

acr.jpg

and quite near the style you are asking, this:

e65792w9hct.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I shall dutifully seek out these works.

Any other stoner lore out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.