RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metallica was a gateway metal band for me and when 13 would just spin their 80's albums all the time on my 3 disk changer because I did not have many cds. I do not listen to them much now, but when do it's usually just kill 'em all with some beers. I feel kill 'em has their best production songs and is their most aggressive album(the guitar picking is massive). Kill 'em all is the most fun and enjoyable album from metallica nor drags out.

Three years ago I listened almost exclusively to Rammstein, SOAD and Metallica. Perhaps it's because I used to listen to them so much that I don't do so now, I'm just burned out from them.

Even The Thing That Should not be is an excellent song when you look at it from the perspective of the lyrical content, dealing with Lovecraftian bouts of madness and insanity, and every piece of that song builds upon that theme. Even the solo constructs in the listener a sense of delirium.

The Thing That Should Not Be is my only favorite track on MoP. It's deliciously malevolent. The rest of the album has kind of eroded with time for me from overly frequent exposure to it. But that song still rules.

Hey Black Blood... If you want some melancholy metal with a bit of a Radioheady vibe, you should check out the Perceval Gage, Dan Foord from Sikth is playing drums with us now and we have a new EP out. If you like the idea of metal influenced by Neurosis, Mastodon, Isis and Pink Floyd then check out the MySpace at www.myspace.com/percevalgage

You guys are quite good. First song is way too Mastodon though.

The Thing That Should Not Be is my only favorite track on MoP. It's deliciously malevolent. The rest of the album has kind of eroded with time for me from overly frequent exposure to it. But that song still rules.

I was always partial to "Disposable Heroes". The chorus is really cool.

That chorus is seriously among the best in US Thrash. The melodic lead following the speed riffing really caps it off.

SOLDIER BOY, MADE OF CLAY
NOW AN EMPTY SHELL
TWENTY ONE, ONLY SON
BUT HE SERVED US WELL
BRED TO KILL, NOT TO CARE
DO JUST AS WE SAY
FINISHED HERE, GREETING DEATH
HE'S YOURS TO TAKE AWAY

And not to mention Hetfield's excellent vocal performance and Hammett's stellar lead playing, as usual.

Hell Awaits Us All said:
I am looking for some recent death metal (no shitty brutal death metal, and I am not really looking for anything super duper technical)

- very heavy
- polished, heavy, powerful production
- good songwriting
- good vocals
Unleashed - Midvinterblot
Dismember - The God That Never Was
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Scarve - Irradiant, and The Undercurrent
Non Human Level - Non Human Level

That chorus is seriously among the best in US Thrash. The melodic lead following the speed riffing really caps it off.

SOLDIER BOY, MADE OF CLAY
NOW AN EMPTY SHELL
TWENTY ONE, ONLY SON
BUT HE SERVED US WELL
BRED TO KILL, NOT TO CARE
DO JUST AS WE SAY
FINISHED HERE, GREETING DEATH
HE'S YOURS TO TAKE AWAY

And not to mention Hetfield's excellent vocal performance and Hammett's stellar lead playing, as usual.

Yes.

Master of Puppets is an album I will always come back to again and again, it is one of those timeless masterpieces.

Yes, he had an excellent sense of melody, and played a big role in establishing the melodicism heard in early Exodus material as well. I will have no discussion about this. :mad:

About Primordial, I have the Gathering Wilderness, and thinking about getting Spirit The Earth Aflame for my next purchase of their material. Am I right to get Spirit The Earth Aflame next or should I go with somehting else?
You are definitely right about that. StEA is their best album IMO (many others share this view). All of their albums are great, though.

Rock albums? That's so broad. I'm going with any form of "rock" that I like + any metal that I think "rocks".

Danzig - Danzig I
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Fu-Manchu - California Crossing
Kyuss - And the Circus Leaves Town
Faith No More - The Real Thing
The Screaming Jets - All for One
Colour Haze - CO2
Tomahawk - Tomahawk

Cheers man, listening to Fu-Manchu right now, actually enjoying it too.

I think i'm after prog rock more specifically
but yeah i wanted to check out essential stuff like led zepplin IV

Usually I try to find some of the more obscure sub-genres of metal, but now I'm going for stuff a bit more standard. Not very good at descriptions but if I like Meshuggah, Bloodbath, and Behemoth who else would you you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.