RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most of you have heard it, but for people who for whatever reason never got around to Opeth's Morningrise, I highly, highly recommend it. It still gets regular spins from me while the rest of my Opeth albums collect dust. Morningrise is a truly unique record.

You know, I don't know how many people still respect Metallica's back catalogue and whose shunned them wholesale, but I got this bizarre urge to play Master Of Puppets last night. To be honest, this is really the first time I've REALLY listened to this album, meaning the first time I've really given it an intense, close listening since I've had the capacity to properly analyze a disc. My conclusion is that overall, it's an incredibly well written album. Obviously it's not a completely Thrash album, but every single track is very well written individually. Even The Thing That Should not be is an excellent song when you look at it from the perspective of the lyrical content, dealing with Lovecraftian bouts of madness and insanity, and every piece of that song builds upon that theme. Even the solo constructs in the listener a sense of delirium.

I know that there are some who still worship this album, but I also know that there are a lot of others who've completely disregarded Metallica in general, so for those of you who fit into the latter category, if you like Thrash and you like tasteful songwriting, I suggest you give this one a close listen again.

You know, I don't know how many people still respect Metallica's back catalogue and whose shunned them wholesale, but I got this bizarre urge to play Master Of Puppets last night. To be honest, this is really the first time I've REALLY listened to this album, meaning the first time I've really given it an intense, close listening since I've had the capacity to properly analyze a disc. My conclusion is that overall, it's an incredibly well written album. Obviously it's not a completely Thrash album, but every single track is very well written individually. Even The Thing That Should not be is an excellent song when you look at it from the perspective of the lyrical content, dealing with Lovecraftian bouts of madness and insanity, and every piece of that song builds upon that theme. Even the solo constructs in the listener a sense of delirium.

I know that there are some who still worship this album, but I also know that there are a lot of others who've completely disregarded Metallica in general, so for those of you who fit into the latter category, if you like Thrash and you like tasteful songwriting, I suggest you give this one a close listen again.

master of puppets is fucking great :kickass: :kickass:

excellent songwriting, excellent musicianship (for a 1985 thrash album). My Favorite song is sanitarium which is a beautifully constructed song

I'm wearing my MoP shirt today, actually. This was the album that got me interested in metal. I remember hearing this when I was about 15 and thinking it was so vastly superior to the Led Zepplin, AC/DC radio rock I used to think was good. Songs like the title track and Orion are indeed perfectly constructed. Without having heard this album in ages I can still recall most of the solos and riffs note for note. I can't say that for many albums. It's so taken for granted that everyone knows this album that it almost never gets brought up. People invariably forget what they started with and talk about whatever they're currently listening to, so this album often gets left behind and is seen as an album for noobs. Yet, as popular as this album is, I think it's hard to argue that it's overrated. I think the famous 0% review on M-A is preposterous.

I think the real crime is how often Kill 'Em All is overlooked.

I think Kill 'Em All still gets a lot of appreciation among the underground audience with its raw NWOBHM speed worship. I know I never had a falling out with that album, even after I stopped listening to the rest of their catalogue.

I think the real crime is how often Kill 'Em All is overlooked.
Kill 'Em All and Master Of Puppets make an interesting contrast. KEA is overlooked in the innovation department while MoP is overrated in that area, but MoP is a far more interesting album to listen to. As much as I like RTL, MoP and to a lesser degree AJFA, KEA bores me. I can rarely get through more than 3 or 4 songs. It just sounds remarkably dated to me.

Kill 'Em All and Master Of Puppets make an interesting contrast. KEA is overlooked in the innovation department while MoP is overrated in that area, but MoP is a far more interesting album to listen to. As much as I like RTL, MoP and to a lesser degree AJFA, KEA bores me. I can rarely get through more than 3 or 4 songs. It just sounds remarkably dated to me.

That's because you don't listen to NWOBHM bands. :p

I used to have a shirt, but I kind of neglected it along with the band in general after I got deeper into the underground. I think I'll buy a new Metallica shirt soon, probably of Kill 'Em All.

About Primordial, I have the Gathering Wilderness, and thinking about getting Spirit The Earth Aflame for my next purchase of their material. Am I right to get Spirit The Earth Aflame next or should I go with somehting else?

Status
Not open for further replies.