RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I've played Carcass - Necroticism every week since I bought it. I originally bought it on tape in 1991.
Wow, that's crazy! Cheers...

Well, if it were movies you were talking about, I'd recommend Monty Python "...And Now For Something Completely Different". I watch that movie every two weeks and it has never gotten old.

But as for albums, Vader's "The Beast" has gotten quite a few listens out of me, as has Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas".
As far as movies go, The Pest has got the most replay out of me. I've watched it in excess of 40 times :lol:

Cheers, I'll check the Mayhem out...

The Chasm, The Chasm, The Chasm
Thanks, I already know of these dudes, and they're pretty rad, but it takes quite a while to get into it, if you know what I mean...

It's really a personal thing. But my personal fave Metal album that I've come back to time and time again is

Coroner - Grin

Been meaning to check Coroner out. Cheers...

lol @ this if it is a reaction to carcassian's post.

not taking away from necroticism, but the reaction was funny.

@ nissan's actual post; depends on how open minded you are, but you seem quite sheltered in your knowledge of music (no offense intended), so i doubt you will find an album that is instantly appealing and in the long term more rewarding. i tend to find that everything i listen to that i really enjoy, took me some time to get into.

that being said, id start with some thrash bands such as:
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Coroner - RIP
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Artillery - Terror Squad

etc.

EDIT!

Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising + Unchain the Wolves!!!
Okay, let me explain my situation for you :lol:

I'm pretty new to metal (a year and a half) and I've been thrown into all this good music, and already I have 250+ albums (keeping in mind I delete the shitty stuff.)

Anyways, I have so much metal which I like, but it's like most of these albums I know will take me heaps of plays to get into. And really, I have very little time to listen to musics, so I need something that's instantaneously rewarding lol. Yes, it sounds very shallow, but with the amount of music I have now, I could not get any albums for a year and still have enough stuff to listen to, but because I have so little time, I want rewards now! The Chasm being an example, listening to them, I know it's good and I have a reasonably good time listening to them, and I know they'll grow on me and have good replay value, but I don't have time to sit around and wait for it to win me over eventually.

This may just have been the stupidest post I ever made. Sorry for wasting your time.

I think a quick fix to my problem is to stop getting new music :lol:. But the thing is I have fuck all to do when I'm on the pc, other than finding new music - that's almost all I do. And I don't have an ipod or whatever, so if I want music, I'll have to be on the computer, and then I'll be bored, and I'll find new music. I have in excess of a 100 albums waiting to get a chance, haha.

On that note, I'm still waiting to hear more Therion-esque recommendations. The closest I've gotten is Haggard (still haven't heard much of them yet, though).

Btw Ed, try Summoning if you haven't heard them already. They have a similar "ambient metal" sound to Agalloch, though the whole Tolkien soundtrackish theme kinda gets on my nerves. Melodies aside, I think they're damn similar, though. I must note that I've only listened to two of their albums - Dol Goldur and Oath Bound. I thought Dol Goldur was utter crap, but Oath Bound (their latest) was much more refined and interesting.

It's kind of funny that I'm recommending a band that I was just recommended a few days ago, and have only spent like 2 hours listening to. Oh well.

Main thing I don't like about iTunes is that it's laggy as fuck. I have to like hold the mouse button down on a song for two seconds in order to select it.

Also, the color scheme is shitty, though that can probly be changed.

Anyway, Winamp has pretty much the same functionality, is faster, doesn't look gay, and doesn't try to run extra unwanted shit on your computer all the time, so I definitely pick that over iTunes. I just keep iTunes around because I have an iPod.

Wow. Listened to their samples, and I'm pretty damn impressed. They remind me not so much of Therion, but more of some weird, avant-garde version of Dimmu Borgir. I might have to buy me some of this - can't find any torrents online.

While this doesn't really pass for Therion-esque, you still get points for recommending a damned interesting band. :)

nissan what genre are you looking for? we can perhaps help you better

or are you just looking for some really good, very accessible metal regardless of genres?

I like death metal the best, but I really don't mind. I guess what I'm asking for is something that's catchy yet has longevity. I got a ton of albums that are hard to get into, but eventually will be rewarding, and I also have albums that are good to listen to a couple of times but then they get boring.

You know what I mean :p

Status
Not open for further replies.