RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thrash gurus: does Vendetta's Brain Damage live up to the ratings on metal archives? Saw it today for 6.99 vinyl.

Okay, I've got a request. I've been listening to Therion's albums Vovin and Deggial a lot lately, and I don't know of anything that sounds even remotely like them. They're basically the least heavy of all of Therion's work, and besides Sirius B, I think they've also got the most godly melodies. They're able to pull off female vocals without sounding sappy like Nightwish or Within Temptation, and they also manage an incredibly epic sound without sounding forceful or overbearing.

Is there any other operatic metal out there which sounds as... graceful as that period of Therion? I'll be quite impressed if someone can point me to another band with that sound.

For reference, some of my favorite songs off those albums are "The Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah", "Clavicula Nox", "Raven of Dispersion", "Emerald Crown", and "Flesh of the Gods".

Okay, I've got a request. I've been listening to Therion's albums Vovin and Deggial a lot lately, and I don't know of anything that sounds even remotely like them. They're basically the least heavy of all of Therion's work, and besides Sirius B, I think they've also got the most godly melodies. They're able to pull off female vocals without sounding sappy like Nightwish or Within Temptation, and they also manage an incredibly epic sound without sounding forceful or overbearing.

Is there any other operatic metal out there which sounds as... graceful as that period of Therion? I'll be quite impressed if someone can point me to another band with that sound.

For reference, some of my favorite songs off those albums are "The Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah", "Clavicula Nox", "Raven of Dispersion", "Emerald Crown", and "Flesh of the Gods".

I wouldn't describe Within Temptation as sappy, she is supposed to sound like that :ill:

You might like: Winds

and also you should check out Vanguard, they are a symphonic gothic metal band with female singing and male growls. They have some good solos and are pretty good though

I wouldn't describe Within Temptation as sappy, she is supposed to sound like that :ill:

Eh, frequent use of recorder + songs like "Never-Ending Story" and "In Perfect Harmony" = sappy.

Anyway, thanks for the rec's. I'll be sure to check them out.

Mortal Sin is tremendously overrated, unfortunately, which is a good thing for sellers of their old vinyls, because people pay stupid prices for them.

not really no. they were a forefront aussie band and if you lived here and had any idea how isolated we are, you'd realise that they were quite influential. they get a lot of credit for that - but ive only ever really seen that come from aus, so how that impacts you, ive no idea. otherwise, credit they get particularly on this board, is pretty limited and makes mayhemic destruction nonetheless wicked.

so whats your point? who is overrating it and what is bad about mayhemic destruction (their other releases havent been as strong, so im being specific to that album, because its the only one i ever listen to)? it has killer riffs (isnt ground breaking - but thrash beyond 1986 isnt really ground breaking), is groovy as hell, and is well recorded.

Sorry, I don't value influence over quality. Mortal Sin just isn't very good. The fact that their albums sell for absurd amounts of money at times on ebay leads me to believe that they're overrated. Obviously this is a subjective interpretation, but I find them highly uninteresting and boring.

Sorry, I don't value influence over quality. Mortal Sin just isn't very good. The fact that their albums sell for absurd amounts of money at times on ebay leads me to believe that they're overrated. Obviously this is a subjective interpretation, but I find them highly uninteresting and boring.

thats a very narrow view to take on what is influencing their prices.

fair enough if you dont find them interesting - i cant see what there isnt to like about mayhemic destruction if you are at all a fan of the bay-area thrash style. but whatever.

You might like: Winds

and also you should check out Vanguard, they are a symphonic gothic metal band with female singing and male growls. They have some good solos and are pretty good though

Well, listened to the demo stuff off both bands' websites. Winds is pretty interesting, but I didn't hear any great melodies in what I listened to, and the vocals are pretty meh. Vanguard just sounds like generic beauty-and-beast goth metal; I don't see what makes them that much closer to Therion than any other goth band.

Any other Therion-esque recommendations out there?

Yeah, Iwas basing my recs on the symphonic aspects of those bands. But Therion are pretty unique. I would compare them to Summoning in that respect. Btw, if you haven't already, LISTEN TO SUMMONING

Vihris

Try this song out

Siebenburgen - Angelic (Probably my favorite song from a Symphonic BM band, too bad they broke up though last year)
It's pretty similiar to Therion.

Hmm... can't find that song anywhere - no samples or bittorrents seem to exist for that band. They don't even have a Wikipedia article. I'll keep it in mind, though; thanks.

Haggard sounds slightly promising - still haven't heard much yet. Summoning sounds more soundtrack-ish than I care for, but I'll keep listening.

Thanks again for all the recs so far. I know my expectations are high. :)

Hmm... can't find that song anywhere - no samples or bittorrents seem to exist for that band. They don't even have a Wikipedia article. I'll keep it in mind, though; thanks.

Haggard sounds slightly promising - still haven't heard much yet. Summoning sounds more soundtrack-ish than I care for, but I'll keep listening.

Thanks again for all the recs so far. I know my expectations are high. :)

Vihris get Soulseek >.>

My name is Enter_My_Silence just d/l it from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.