RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Midvinterblot sounds like mid-tempo, growled yet audible vocalled, Swedish DM with fuzzy guitars and melodic leads, laden down with hooks, and then squeezed through a "bolt Thrower" mincer.

In essence; it's very good.

Old Unleashed is basic kick ass death metal. Unleashed is like a heavy metal version of death metal. No thrills but still very much enjoyable. Unleashed does not care about doing anything except rock and kicking your ass. It's not so dull that you wish the band would just try harder, but nothing musical. They have parts when needed making sure it's not lackluster.

thanks. i listened to some mp3s and it actually sounded very good. it might be a bit too much though, because it has 15 songs....i usually cant stand albums that have more than 10 or 11 tracks....especially death metal albums.

Devy_Metal said:
thanks. i listened to some mp3s and it actually sounded very good. it might be a bit too much though, because it has 15 songs....i usually cant stand albums that have more than 10 or 11 tracks....especially death metal albums.
seriously? The more tracks the merrier I say! In fact the only reason I didn't buy Epitaph by Necrophagist is because it's too short.

Devy_Metal said:
i usually cant stand albums that have more than 10 or 11 tracks....especially death metal albums.

Heh! Same here. I usually won't even listen to a band with more than 10-11 actual SONGS (not counting intros or short instrumental asides) per album just because it's silly.

Devy_Metal said:

...but in the best traditions of rock n roll songs, most are only about three minutes in length, and to the point.

But there are still too many of them! Generally with metal, if an album tries too hard to exceed around 45-55 minutes (ESP. in death metal where ideas get used up extremely quickly), it's tossed into the pretentious pile or the pile of albums that are just dumb because they're overlong/just too much. Also I hate bonus tracks.

Yep. Basically, I like when bands write 9 or so songs and concentrate on making them ALL the best they can be, rather than writing 13 songs which are just decent. Few bands do this anymore, it seems, as almost every album released has atleast some filler.

The Bringer said:
Can someone recommend me an album to start with for Sentenced? I have never listened to any of their music and want to experience it.

I would start with North From Here. Melody is in the riffs rather than usage of melody/harmonies over rythmn so it's very different from other albums that are considered melodic death metal. North From here is still very dark and aggressive and intense, and also just flat out weird sometimes. Jarva takes over on vocals and his vocals are more raspy like black metal where the guitarist on the first album is low. North from Here sometimes has parts that
have a black metal/gothic vibe to them even though it's just considered death metal. This album is just very unique and original for the time and probably the bands most technical.

Sentenced first album shadows of the past is basic heavy gloomy bleak death metal. A lot more musically basic than say north from here and in general slower and sludge like. This album almost resembles death-leprosy musically with just a few melodic parts.

Amok is not death metal at all and still very good. The band starts really expirimenting with melody's and rock influence. The band focuses more on chords than single note picking and speed. Song structures are more focused and memorable and poppy.

Devy_Metal said:
another question: Where do I start with Candlemass?

FORUM: Epicus doomicus Metallicus

ME: Nightfall. By a fucking huuuuuuge mile. Or the reunion 2002 live double disc - candlemass sound awesome live.

Carcassian said:

ME: Nightfall. By a fucking huuuuuuge mile. Or the reunion 2002 live double disc - candlemass sound awesome live.

im with you on this one too but only in that the messiah debut is better. im more partial to ancient dreams perhaps but im not quite sure.

anyone know any good technical shit with crazy shredding solos and complex riffs and song structures, but pays attention to the vocals as well with clean singing mixed among the screaming and growls

and i need some heavy black metal bands

Carcassian said:

Nightfall is my favourite as well but Epicus is right behind it. I havn't heard the live disc yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.