Releases 2010

SLEEP'S. HOLY. MOUNTAIN.

Both of The Sword's albums gloriously rip Holy Mountain off, but they are still fun to listen to and the band is cool as hell live. Give them a shot too.

Hey everyone. Looking to get some advice. I'm VERY new to anything that has the tag of "doom". So new that I have Swallow the Sun listed under the "doom metal" genre. I've really enjoyed listening to Swallow the Sun, Daylight Dies, November's Doom, Estatic Fear, Paradise Lost, and Rapture lately. I know the first three aren't really doom by any means, and I understand that, but I was hoping for some suggestions.

My curiosity was aroused tonight when I finally got around to listening to Candlemass - Death Magic Doom. Holy shit yeah. Awesome.

So, can anyone give me some suggestions on two different categories?

1) Bands similar in quality and style to Swallow the Sun, Daylight Dies, Nov's Doom, etc

2) The milestones/epics of doom metal

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Wearing my Daylight Dies shirt right now. :)

Definitely check out Draconian (you should already know them but I don't know), Evoken (more like Funeral Doom but good), Reverend Bizarre, and Thorr's Hammer.

EDIT:

New DT leaked? Where was I yesterday? Sweet.

The new Alcest is coming out at the end of March as well. March could be a fun month since the new Burzum will be coming out then too. I am waiting for a preorder on Burzum.

Take Rotting Christ off my "consistently awesome" bands list. Their new one is the biggest disappointment I've heard in the last 3 years.

The new Eluveitie album is pretty damn good... I wasn't expecting it at all.

I never got into Kalmah, from what I heard from the new album it sounded pretty bland as all of their stuff has to me. I think they are just not my cup of tea, might download the album just to give them a full chance though.

I have been listening to the new Catamenia album quite a bit, its pretty addicting. I'm really surprised I like it, I only enjoyed one track of theirs previously which was The Day When The Sun Faded Away its sweet but the rest of the Location: Cold album blows.

Also checked out the Burzum album, its pretty wild. Definitely sounds like Burzum, only complaint would be the intro and the outro. There are a few parts that are totally mind blowingly awesome. Very happy with it.

Quick reviews:

New Burzum - cool

New Darkthrone - AWESOME. HELL FUCKING YEAH!

New Solution .45 - Awesome

New Wrath And Rapture - I dug, and I think Don and all other Jari-fellaters on this forum will jizz their pants when they hear it. Download it!

New Audrey Horne- Really good

New Borknagar- Great

New Dark Tranquillity - OK... hoping it grows on me more

New Finntroll - cool

New Kalmah - Much, much better than the last 2 albums

New Ash Pool - cool

^ God. Nice "Quickies".

i honestly think the new Catamenia is piss as(s) fuckin poor. I've been a fan of every album they've done. VIII worried me a bit, (though it was still in the same spirit) but this is just... not the same kind of band. Oh well. I guess 9 albums later you get sick of not getting recognized for making better shit than everyone else in your genre after every album you made rocks dicks to gay hell... Still though,

Kalmah - The best
Eluveitie - Much better than expected. Great!
Finntroll - Different, but quite awesome!
Dark Tranq - Different and good, though a bit misguided...

Damn the Whispered is rippin my ears though. So GOOD!

edit: I thought I heard about them on here. If not, check out Whispered - Thousand Swords. It's as if Persefone's new CD was good!