Religion and Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why must one believe in a God anyway? It seems to me to just be something to comfort yourself. I dont really care what people believe, because it really isnt in my jurisdiction to say if something is real or not, but to completely base your whole life and diety around faith seems slightly ridiculous.

None of the other miracle workers were the son of God, or claimed to be.

Criss Angel made that claim to me the other day, but asked me to keep it on the d.l. because I'm one of his few chosen people.

clearly, then, he's the one true god, lord, savior, redeemer, wish-granter, after-life provider, and butler for any other whim I have.

Why must one believe in a God anyway? It seems to me to just be something to comfort yourself. I dont really care what people believe, because it really isnt in my jurisdiction to say if something is real or not, but to completely base your whole life and diety around faith seems slightly ridiculous.

People who actually believe in God are simply desparate for someone to care about what they do. The reality is, life is ultimately devoid of a higher meaning. It's pure evolution; eat, fuck, die. Your life is completely pointless the moment you reproduce. People have always wanted to think differently, but you'll find that once you except that the purpose of life is to get laid (and what male under 35 doesn't already consider that the purpose of life?) it's not so bad. But people like to sacrifice because it makes them feel like they'll get something in return, when in fact it's a waste of your life. Ultimately, until you accept that there is no real meaning to life, you're living a fallacy. Needless to say, few people actually accept this, but generally live by it anyway, because people are scum; even though they think it's wrong, they do what they want.

I personally feel that Christianity really takes the cake with the concept of original sin and the idea that fornication is immoral; basically, people are basically evil because of something that other people did along time ago. If you commit the one act a human can do which actually has meaning (this would be sex, guys), you are a sinner. Fuck that.:lol: And then there's the whole thing about women, who are weak, evil, and inferior. That idea just pisses me off, as it's obviously complete bullshit; women are generally way nicer than guys, and they're more likely to graduate from college these days. As for weaker, I give you that one; physically, men are actually stronger.

My candidate for the all time Darwin awards? Celibate clergy: "Let's voluntarily remove ourselves from the gene pool so we can devote our lives to a supreme, omnipotent, but invisible being who refuses to manifest himself until we die. And fuck little boys.":lol:

People who actually believe in God are simply desparate for someone to care about what they do. The reality is, life is ultimately devoid of a higher meaning. It's pure evolution; eat, fuck, die. Your life is completely pointless the moment you reproduce.

What are you going to call your new religion?

My candidate for the all time Darwin awards? Celibate clergy: "Let's voluntarily remove ourselves from the gene pool so we can devote our lives to a supreme, omnipotent, but invisible being who refuses to manifest himself until we die. And fuck little boys.":lol:

Dude thats fukkin hilarious, but i mean who wouldnt wanna have sex with little boys:lol:

Religion is a crutch blah blah blah...

I could say the same thing about someone who doesn't believe in God, i.e. they don't believe because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions, therefore their unbelief is simply a crutch for their weak morality. Now that's a bad argument I just made, and that's the point. Think through your pseudo-freudian post modern b.s. before you post in on a forum that's supposed to be for critical thought.

I could say the same thing about someone who doesn't believe in God, i.e. they don't believe because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions, therefore their unbelief is simply a crutch for their weak morality. Now that's a bad argument I just made, and that's the point. Think through your pseudo-freudian post modern b.s. before you post in on a forum that's supposed to be for critical thought.

Quite true. While you and I are essentially on polar-opposite ends of this particular issue, I have seldom encountered someone who can debate the point with more passion and intellectual consideration. Religion and/or spirituality is a crutch...for some. For others it is a great deal more in depth and scope, whether I find it plausible or not.

Again, I'm reminded of Nietzsche: "What differentiates us is not that we find no God - neither in history, nor in nature, nor behind nature - but that we do not feel that what has been revered as God is 'godlike.'" (AntiChrist)

That fairly succinctly sums up my own "intellectual" aversion to Christianity. I find the depiction of God so ungodly...so human. The remainder of my complaints with all things Judeo-Christian are too numerous to list!

Thanks.
I think listening to someone whose views are the opposite of yours can be very enlightening and challenging. That's part of the reason why I visit this forum, and why I love reading Nietzsche. Listening to some bands is the same way (is it wrong for a Christian to sing along to "Inno a Satana"? :) )

Listening to some bands is the same way (is it wrong for a Christian to sing along to "Inno a Satana"? :) )

I was raised Christian and had at least some belief remaining into my teens...yet I adored Mercyfull fate, Venom, etc. all along. Wrong? nonsense!:heh:

Post-Freudian? I dunno...I don't read philosophy - prefer to think for myself. Religion is self-deception - people want a greater meaning for their lives, because otherwise they're living in shit for no good reason. If you notice, "weak morality" is a constant across the board; even God's clergy loves them some little boys. That would be because the concept of "morality" is a product of religion; not murdering, no incest, and things like that have been around forever, partly because they tend to have an evolutionary basis. However, ideas like "fornicators will burn!" and "blasphemers will be stoned" stem from religion. So..."weak morality" is a good definition of anyone who doesn't give a shit about religion.

Ok moron, thanks for your insights.

You're quite welcome, shithead (I hope you realize I'm just playing with you).

Thanks.
I think listening to someone whose views are the opposite of yours can be very enlightening and challenging.

mmmmmm I'm in the mood for a good rant...

it can be... until alllll you come across is the same old shit you've knocked down a thousand times before, at that point, it's damn near disheartening. (like the bad argument you exampled---"people don't believe in god because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions"---yea, nothing to do with the weakness of the argument lol---, you have no clue how many times I've actually heard people say that as if they believe it, and not even heard anyone respond so much as 'do you think all these people don't respect the law?' or 'do you think then it's impossible to be both an atheist and an existentialist?')

Listening to opposing views is only any good at all when they're actually willing to explain why they believe their view, otherwise it's just going nowhere, it would literally be as productive to speak to children about why they believe vegetables are yucky.
'I believe in satan', 'I believe in the catholic god', 'I believe in reincarnation', well that's nice for a survey, but fuck, so many people just say 'faith, duh!' when asked '...why?', it's just sad (I tried this again very recently, hoping to get some sort of 'I experienced god' or 'the prophecy came true' or some such -base-, but I literally only received answers like 'well it's just faith, innit', people didn't even try to enlighten me---some were just plain unwilling, saying 'I don't force it on people' as if I wasn't entirely explicitly requesting it. just a total cop out on their part hidden in some notion of respecting other people, that shit (that smug ignorance) just gets on my nerves.)

Status
Not open for further replies.