Resurrected Power Metal Thread

you should check out Celesty

btw. don't forget Rhapsody of Fire or Stratovarius

btwbtw. dragonforce live shows sucks 'cos totman is too drunk to tone his guitar, but in studio they play it real.

Celesty owns, except their last album is stupid.

APG, we can't do stuff like that...we tried a few years ago to do rar compilations, Deron deemed it not legal enough just out of concern for safety.

Because, they can't play live, and I I heard that they speed up their productions.
Okay. You "heard" an internet rumor that they speed up their productions. First off, this is false, btw. But secondly, just think how mind-blowingly stupid you're being.
But my main question is why people think they speed stuff up. They don't even play that fast; they shred over blastbeats. There are many bands who play way faster without being accused of cheating.

Next up, you've never seen them live so how the fuck would you know? I happen to have seen them twice and I can tell you that they put on a very energetic set. They don't play perfectly (when you have 4 solos per song it'd be hard to), but they don't make noticeable mistakes (i.e. they play a couple bum notes or miss a squeal here and there but they don't butcher solos or just forget what they're playing), and they have a ton of energy and are very fun.

With regards to this whole "every song sounds the same thing"...um, yeah. I guess, if you aren't familiar with their songs, they do all sound the same. But really the same is true of pretty much any band when you aren't familiar with them. It's somewhat more true with DF, definitely, but it's not like every other band writes albums that are a series of widely divergent forays into completely different styles of music or something.

In conclusion you're talking out of your asshole.

That said I'm bored of defending Dragonforce. I'm hardly a fanboy. I can throw on an album if I'm doing something else, or a couple songs if I'm listening actively. I love the Sonic Firestorm album, but not a huge fan of Inhuman Rampage. I wouldn't defend them if the people attacking them weren't retards.

Ultra Beatdown was on sale in my local record store for nine bucks. I didn't get it. I was tempted to though.

I honestly felt kind of sick though as I looked at the back of the cd case. It's this flashy, disco-esque picture of them trying to look cool and pose for the camera, and all the track titles are listed in this old-school computer font... in summary, I think Dragonforce is becoming that sellout power metal band whose producers know that there are people who will buy every record, and so they keep rehashing the same old tunes in order to make money. Honestly, even though they might enjoy doing what they're doing, I can't help but think they're just recording the same chord progressions with different lyrics and releasing them as fast as they can to cash in.

I don't mean to post this directly after your earnest defence, InFlames. I enjoy Dragonforce too. The new record just pisses me off though. The first single was catchy when it came out; but now everything about them just seems so artifical to me.

They're forging while the iron is hot so to speak, in five years their popularity probably will have decreased quite a bit.

Exactly.

Just get the first album and stop. Nothing else from Dragonforce is worth it.

In all honesty, I think Sonic Firestorm is a good record and does add something new (albeit only slightly). I'd recommend their first two albums. After that however, nothing but cookie-cutter imitations of those two records.

Ultra Beatdown was on sale in my local record store for nine bucks. I didn't get it. I was tempted to though.

I honestly felt kind of sick though as I looked at the back of the cd case. It's this flashy, disco-esque picture of them trying to look cool and pose for the camera, and all the track titles are listed in this old-school computer font... in summary, I think Dragonforce is becoming that sellout power metal band whose producers know that there are people who will buy every record, and so they keep rehashing the same old tunes in order to make money. Honestly, even though they might enjoy doing what they're doing, I can't help but think they're just recording the same chord progressions with different lyrics and releasing them as fast as they can to cash in.

I don't mean to post this directly after your earnest defence, InFlames. I enjoy Dragonforce too. The new record just pisses me off though. The first single was catchy when it came out; but now everything about them just seems so artifical to me.
What did they sell out? To sell out implies that you change your sound in order to be commercial. I've seen no indication that they have any desire other than to play fast, considering that's what they did in their old band, that's what they did before they got big, and that's what they do now. If anything, Inhuman Rampage is more inaccessible (with the harder drum sound and backing screams) than Sonic Firestorm (with the ludicrously melodic sound). I heard the single from the new one and as far as I can tell it's more of IR. That's not selling out, it's just playing a music that is popular.
As for the posing, they've been doing that all along (look at every photo ever - they always do goofy poses, they definitely don't take themselves seriously). As for the video game stuff, that's kinda their thing.

By the way, if you ever heard shadow warriors it's Sam Totman's ninja-themed side project...it's just songs from Valley played shittily with programmed drums and different lyrics (still sung by ZP though). Basically, writing new songs isn't their thing.

I don't think they did anything for success; they happened to be in prime position for it when it happened. Tbh if they were cashing in the new album would have come way sooner.
Look: Valleys - 1 year - Sonic - 2 years - Inhuman - 2 years - Ultra Beatdown.
Not exactly a quick cash-in.

To anyone who says DragonForce's songs aren't all interchangeable: http://richaod.livejournal.com/3507.html

Mostly true. Complaining about the production dynamics is gay because a ton of bands have that, and complaining about have a consistent bpm is silly because there are tons of albums like that. Also I'm not to confident in that bpm analyzer but w/e. Almost all euro power metal albums have one ballad or more; that's not a valid complaint. The fact that they didn't actually have a bassist for the first 3 albums nullifies that. The fact that they can't complete it on guitar hero means nothing. Cheesy lyrics are more or less mandatory for this style.
That said, yes, their songs are hard to tell apart often. I still don't see why this engenders such intense animosity.

In all honesty, I think Sonic Firestorm is a good record and does add something new (albeit only slightly). I'd recommend their first two albums. After that however, nothing but cookie-cutter imitations of those two records.
Pretty much. On Sonic they were still writing cool melodies and hooks and stuff. Inhuman Rampage is just "look how fast we can sound."