Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I'm not really into power metal or anything, but a cd I use to really like was Seven Witches `year of the witch. I generally do not like the vocalists in power metal and think James Rivera sounds awesome.

Awesome song i've not heard in awile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been digging Wuthering Heights - Far From the madding Crowd.
The whole album is stuck in my head!

THE WIND BLOWS A STORM FROM THE PAST
NIGHT FALLS AND THEY'RE LONGING FOR THE WOODS

Power metal is a good genre. One of my favorite metal genres. But it's dying. There's no good bands anymore, old PM bands have turned into hard rock influenced crap, that has nothing to do with powermetal.

Gamma Ray is one of the few old PM bands that still play "true" PM. Helloween has lost it long ago. Edguy & Avantasia are the worst i believe, they both were great few years ago, but they they turned into hard rockish crap, even worse than new Helloween. Edguy's album "Rocket Ride" has nothing to do with powermetal.

Of course there are some new bands (Like Persuader and Stormwarrior) but overall there's not much. Like i said, this genre is dying.

Power metal is a good genre. One of my favorite metal genres. But it's dying. There's no good bands anymore, old PM bands have turned into hard rock influenced crap, that has nothing to do with powermetal.

Gamma Ray is one of the few old PM bands that still play "true" PM. Helloween has lost it long ago. Edguy & Avantasia are the worst i believe, they both were great few years ago, but they they turned into hard rockish crap, even worse than new Helloween. Edguy's album "Rocket Ride" has nothing to do with powermetal.

Of course there are some new bands (Like Persuader and Stormwarrior) but overall there's not much. Like i said, this genre is dying.
I must disagree! Power metal still has lots of great modern bands and albums to offer! I also think that Helloween has continued to release stellar albums, despite going through a bit of a dry spell in the 90's. 'The Dark Ride', 'Gambling With the Devil' are both extremely strong albums, and I tend to prefer them to their more 'classic' disks.

If you want great, modern power metal then look no further than the aforementioned Hibria, as well as Manticora, Helstar (holy shit their new album is killer) Galneryus, Dark Empire, Heavenly, and of course, Kiuas. These bands all offer fresh and vigorous approaches to the music, great songwriting and powerful instrumental performances and manage to keep the great spirit of power metal. There are many more than these, as well.

I'll definately agree that Edguy has slipped in recent years, and I was not a fan of the new Avantasia stuff as well. You hit the nail on the head in that regard.

Where's a good place to look into for Gamma Ray?? I haven't heard much by them. I hope they're not uninspired cheese like most of Sonata Arctica. Persuader is probably my favorite power metal band overall, unless you count Yngwie & Symphony X.

I think Insanity and Genius is a good album by them. You should buy it. Get it instead of heading for tomorrow.

Concerning Gamma Ray what you need is 'Land of the Free' or you can also get the 'Blast From The Past' best of, which also has exclusive re-recorded older tracks with the newest lineup. The 'LOTF' ones are re-done on it though which is the reason I recommend that album in addition.... those ones didn't turn out nearly as good as the ones from the older era. But you'll have a great idea of how they've sounded throughout the years and where to go next.