Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I'm very excited about Crystallion; high hopes.

The world needs a new traditional-style power-metal band to get big, with several of the most popular ones of the late 90's and 00's falling off into other (less fun, IMO :p) genres in the second half of this decade.

Just found this on youtube. I saw it on his site a while ago, but didn't realize it was on youtube.

If Rhapsody get their shit together and do a new album, I want to see less flute-orchestra dueling and more this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just dropped by to say that Halloween is the best power metal band ever!!!

Just found this on youtube. I saw it on his site a while ago, but didn't realize it was on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXyzNjnHCk
If Rhapsody get their shit together and do a new album, I want to see less flute-orchestra dueling and more this.

I've seen this video before. I hate it. All wankery, no tastefulness. I don't want to learn how to play like that.

I believe that they are doing a new album as we speak.
Really? *looks for news*
NEW ALBUM IN MARCH :kickass:
Yay.
But...not sure about the move to Nuclear Blast. The last two albums were executive produced by Eric Adams, as I recall, and he did a fairly good job and they were both great. Whereas Nuclear Blast has a history of blandifying stuff...I wish they'd stayed with Magic Circle but we'll see how it goes...On the other hand, this will presumably mean a(n even) bigger budget, so possibly more over-the-top symphonic stuff, which may be good (or maybe not? I kind of liked it when they were a band with symphonic elements rather than a fucking orchestra).

Regardless, I really liked the last two. Triumph or Agony had a few too many completely non-metal songs, but the 16-minute epic was legitimately awesome all the way through (except for the silly voice acting) and there was plenty of awesomeness all around. Looking forward to this. I'll be preordering for sure.

32-page booklet sounds promising; Rhapsody always delivers on the liner notes.

All I have to say is that I really want them to tour North America. Unfortunately they won't do it with Manowar, since they left the label, but it would still be awesome.

I just dropped by to say that Halloween is the best power metal band ever!!!
Careful. According to legend, you will now turn into a pumpkin.

I've seen this video before. I hate it. All wankery, no tastefulness. I don't want to learn how to play like that.
If you listen to Rhapsody's stuff, his solos are always extremely tasteful and restrained, but with flairs of incredible technicality like that. I appreciate the restraint, but I think he could solo a bit more. Personally I don't want to play like that, because that's not the sort of music I want to play, but I do like hearing it. Obviously if the whole album was just him ripping like that it would suck.

If you listen to Rhapsody's stuff, his solos are always extremely tasteful and restrained, but with flairs of incredible technicality like that. I appreciate the restraint, but I think he could solo a bit more. Personally I don't want to play like that, because that's not the sort of music I want to play, but I do like hearing it. Obviously if the whole album was just him ripping like that it would suck.

Yeah, well said. I think his solos on the records are pretty tasteful, but that little ripping solo he does in that video doesn't impress me at all. The tone of the guitar really drives me insane; it's just to saturated with distortion and the volume is so low that it sounds like a thousand flies puking. It makes me cringe.

If you're going to play with that much distortion you need balls behind it to back it up. If you're just playing for a short video clip and can't turn your volume up, then turn the distortion down.

^ Agreed.

The best I can say about Deris is he's OKAY with material written SPECIFICALLY FOR HIM. And he's somewhat amusing, and doesn't take himself too seriously.

His attempts to do Kiske songs... well, I AM glad they still do Kiske songs, and Kiske himself certainly isn't about to step up and do 'em, but eeergh.

Anybody seen the new Helloween video?

http://www.rocktube.us/index.php?module=content&id=bIVD2SZb9VI

People are flipping the fuck out over it, calling it the worst thing ever, but I rather enjoyed it. If metal bands can perpetually cover pop-rock songs, why not do a pop-rock or jazz cover of a metal song?

It's just Helloween playing around, and the original song isn't going anywhere. I think Gambling With the Devil showed that they're still committed to metal.

Although I have to wonder what Kiske would think of this! Ahahah, he probably thinks Helloween should be like this for real.

I think all the releases Galneryus put out except for their last one are fine releases. They're a pretty impressive band imo. And personally aside from metal, Japanese have some quality pop.

Last edited by a moderator: