Resurrected Power Metal Thread

ive thought about giving some Gamma Ray a try since I love Iron Savior. Seriously, Iron Savior is amazing.

and for some reason I like Fairyland, but Rhapsody doesn't do much for me.

cool. amazon doesnt have a whole lot of gamma ray. I'll get No world Order though.

as far as Iron Savior goes, meh on that singer. not a fan.
I've grown very tired of the neoclassical power metal too. so Rhapsody is a band I cant even stomach anymore.

i like the Iron Savior type vocals a lot more than balls-in-a-vice vocals.

I like early Helloween but sometimes that dude pushes me a bit too far. Lost Horizon works, though. I really likes Ripper Owens in Iced Earth for some reason. Other than that damned Eagle song, The Glorious Burden is awesome.

Virgin Steele reigns supreme.

ive thought about giving some Gamma Ray a try since I love Iron Savior. Seriously, Iron Savior is amazing.

and for some reason I like Fairyland, but Rhapsody doesn't do much for me.

They both sound completely different :lol:

But sure doesn't hurt to give Gamma Ray a try.

You're deaf, sir. :p

Re: Gamma Ray, it's cliche, but Land of the Free is probably the best power metal album of all time. If you don't like that one, you should probably just forgo the entire genre.

Land Of The Free is fantastic stuff indeed; fast, full of energy and great riffwork. How power metal should be done. The first track sounds scarily like Iron Maiden in the middle bit, which is no bad thing.

I think I still prefer Barlow with Iced Earth but The Glorious Burden has been getting a few more listens recently. It definitely is a lot better than most people give it credit for. "The Devil to Pay" is fucking awesome :headbang:

Dudes, I so recommend Crystal Eyes' second album "In Silence They March." Catchy power metal, but with a certain 80's heavy metal feel to some of the riffs. Kinda muddy production, but some really nice falsettos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not. Theres way better albums.

--like what? :headbang: C'mon, Hansen, Kiske, a tribute to Ingo--it's a classic Helloween album nearly a decade late, but without the one or two dumb songs ("Rise and Fall"?) that tweaked even the Keeper albums. There is literally not a single bad song on Land of the Free.

I honestly think this is an excellent list of power-metal essentials (they even got Theocracy on there!). I might have picked Visions over Dreamspace, but this guy got the important ones down.

I don't have to defend my opinion on why Land Of The Free isn't the best power metal album of all time. I know for a fact it isn't cause I've heard better. And I'm sure plenty of us have heard better. I mean come on, Gamma Ray releasing one of the best power albums? You have to be kidding me. I mean I use to be big the band and still listen to them every now and then but seriously... no. Even when I was big on them I've heard better material by the time.