Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I'll answer my own question and say it's pretty fucking good. Catchy as hell with some great melodies and lots of song variation. What's surprising is it's 14 songs and so far (on song 9) no filler yet. Everything sounds good.

Hi everybody, some power metal recommendations from the last months from my side:

Persuader - The fiction maze
Tad Morose - Revenant
Mystic Prophecy - Killhammer
Vanishing Point - Distant is the sun
Winterstorm - Cathyron
Heavatar - All my kingdoms

Has anyone listened to the second Pathfinder album? I've been listening to it recently, and to be honest it's just fucking awesome, has all the elements that made the first album uber, such as epic guitars, choirs, female vocals, keyboards, but also even includes goddamn amazing BLAST BLEAT drumming, which is almost unheard of in Power Metal. Here's an example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJyfnP-Wi8&list=PL4E95243398E08BE6[/ame]

I've been listening to that album more and more, and I've come to the conclusion that it's the greatest Symphonic Power Metal album in history. I mean, I used to think that their first album was the best ever, but the new album is even better due to the inclusion of blast beat drumming and more choirs, female operatics, orchestral work, screaming, etc than the original. Bow down and weep, ye puny mortals.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPjAbyGkEjc&list=PL4E95243398E08BE6[/ame]

The new Machinae Supremacy is entertaining. As usual.

d30226301d445e884f76b994a8f47012.jpg

Good PM releases of 2014 (so far):

Seven Thorns - II
Freedom Call - Beyond
Sonata Arctica - Pariah's Child
Ancient Bards - A New Dawn Ending
Sabaton - Heroes

Tastes are different. At least your taste and mine :)

I found a new and interesting band from Germany:

The new Brainstorm is not too bad either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate - he is also one of my absolute favorites (beside Abraham, Durham, Scholes and of course the mighty GRRM)
I started "The path of Anger" by Antoine Rouaud 2 days ago - quite promising for a debut.

In General I prefer the straighter and heavier side of PM.
I love Stratovarius (especially their latest 2 Albums without Tolkki) and sometimes a bit of Helloween, Elvenking, Avantasia or Gamma Ray as well but in General I am more into stuff like Vicious Rumors, Jag Panzer, Tad Morose and so on.

Not sure if eg Sonata Arctica can still be counted as Metal at all? They make nice Music but there is Zero Punch in their Sound. I would maybe call it "Power Pop".

The last Stratovarius album is absolutely killer. They nailed it on that one. They are a great band, if not somewhat in consistent this late in their career. Polaris was awesome, Elysium was a let down, Nemesis is awesome. Up and down, up and down.

Another great, little known power metal band that I may have mentioned on earlier pages (can't recall) is Instanzia. They make really catchy, clever songs while retaining the heaviness. They sing about history in the vein of Sabaton. I think their songwriting is stronger, though, even given the fact that they only have one album out. The second one is due shortly.

Last edited by a moderator: