Resurrected Power Metal Thread

All Heavenly albums except the first are epic winnage. They all have their own distinctive flavor. You're not going to enjoy said flavors, however, if you're one of those TR00 KVLT metallers who despises anything with sugar in it.

youtube the older stuff. last two releases suck

I love all the Heavenly albums. The newer ones exude more of a German power metal influence, which I like.

I listened to Virus and liked it, probably because of the above mentioned german feel, Coming From the Sky though... bleh.

I also really dont like 3IoB... they come off as a gateway band like SFU or skinless does for death metal.

Also I just dont like frilly power metal... my mind wanders too quickly away from it and I'd rather just listen to something non-metal instead.

Yep, especially Dust to Dust. Classy album that one, I wish Sotto kept going with that style for the last two albums. Oh well.

That said, I claim Advance and Vanquish as "one of the best" metal releases of 2004, not "the best."

I wouldn't even say it's one of the best. Reckoning Night, 8 Deadly Sins, Hellfire Club, Dawn of Enlightenment, Sonic Firestorm, Defying the Rules, and maybe even Far From the Madding Crowd were all better power metal albums released in 2004 than Advance and Vanquish. Not that A&V was that bad, just not great. The broscreams and the overuse of the Painkiller voice killed it a bit. Instrumentally it was pretty good though.

Been listening to the new Helloween a bit. At first I thought it kind of sucked with too much boring midtempo borderline-hardrock stuff, but it's grown on me. Nothing's amazing, it's just fairly solid all the way through. Compared to Gambling, the choruses are catchier, it's heavier overall, but not as speedy (unless you count the bonus tracks, all of which are the typical double kickers that I never seem to tire of no matter how generic and overdone). I'd like to see Helloween pull out an amazing album before they retire, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if they kept pumping out albums of this quality.

I'm fairly convinced that Helloween don't know what the frick they're doing when it comes to song selection though. 7 Sinners and the last few albums have all had really strong songs that only appear on special editions, while leaving some fairly average songs on the main editions. Ah well, I'll just download whatever tracks I don't get on my edition. I don't like stealing a band's music (except for checking out purposes, where I'll delete it if I don't like it), but fucked if I'm going to buy 75 different regional or deluxe versions just to mop up all the bonus tracks.

I don't consider 3IoB a power metal band. I like your list of albums there though. All of those were very good releases. I especially like the inclusion of Wuthering Heights. :)

I really don't like the new Helloween album at all. It's a huge step backwards after the last two releases were actually pretty good. It does have some good songs, but overall I felt disappointed.

Helloween in general is pretty awful. They're generic Euro power. If you're into that, then it's important to recognize their influence; but as far as quality goes, there are several far better acts.

What does everyone think about Therion? Although not necessarily "traditional" power metal, the band does have symphonic and power metal elements.

Helloween in general is pretty awful. They're generic Euro power. If you're into that, then it's important to recognize their influence; but as far as quality goes, there are several far better acts.

I shouldn't have said Helloween's awful. They're not awful, but they are pretty generic.

What does everyone think about Therion? Although not necessarily "traditional" power metal, the band does have symphonic and power metal elements.

Some of their later stuff has some symphonic power metal influence. Gothic Kaballah definitely does. Very good record.

Just popping in to say that the new Dark Moor came out this past week and it's easily the best since Beyond The Sea and is probably better. Check it out if you're not still too sore over Elisa leaving and them changing to a more symphonic/progressive sound.

I consider their guitar parts to be very power metal; like, as "melodic power metal" as you can get.

That said, the vocals, keys, and overall vibe sometimes have an "alt-metal" feel, although I can't quite pinpoint stylistically why I feel that way.