Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I think KIUAS have a pretty original vocal sound so i can't say who else to really put you on to in terms of vocals but if your open to checking out similar heavy balls out Power Metal kind of stuff i would recommend NEVERMORE (usa), BRAINSTORM (Germany), ELDRITCH (Italy), WOLF (Sweden), MORGANA LEFAY (Sweden) for starters. They are a few of my favs that lean towards the heavier spectrum of the genre. :kickass:

Kiuas are fucking sick. Unfortunately Ilja left the band a couple months ago, so they're currently looking for a new singer. I don't have high hopes of anyone coming close to replacing what he brought to their sound.

The best long, epic opus, in my opinion, comes from Equilibrium. You've probably heard it: Mana

That is a pretty good song, don't know if I'd rate it higher than Ryme of the Ancient Mariner, And Then There Was Silence, Helloween etc. If you like folk metal epics, you may like Finsterforst - Zum Tode Hin. At 5 tracks in 70 minutes it's like 5 Manas in one album. Probably my favourite Folk Metal album. They're a great mix of Moonsorrowish atmosphere interjected with speedy Korpiklaaniesque accordion bits. Their demo and first album are also worth checking out if you like Zum Tode Hin.

I haven't listened to much power metal but I like Kiuas due to the singer's harsher voice. Anything similar?

Blind Guardian's Imaginations from the Other Side is pretty much the gold standard for harsh vocals in power metal I reckon. Savage Circus and Persuader are also quite good examples, but both sound VERY similar to mid career Blind Guardian, due to having the same singer who sounds ridiculously similar to Hansi Kursh.

I know alot of people have mixed opinions about Rhapsody of Fire but IMO the most epic long song is from Rhapsody of Fire's EP: The Cold Embrace Of Fear "ACT III: The Ancient Fires Of Har-Kuun"

But really the whole EP acts as a continuous song and it's fucking amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, somebody uploaded this to youtube. I fucking love the vocals in the song (second verse is epic):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIGLT266VRQ&feature=related[/ame]

EDIT: and this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
the title track is easily the best on that album, Easton Hope. but god that song above takes me back to a year ago when i was sitting on my bed one night writing essays for my master's degree. time flies, my god.

Overall though I haven't heard any new, really good power metal for a while now. I guess you guys feel the same, hence the lack of activity in this thread over the past month or so. Anything due to come out in the next few months that's worth keeping an eye out for?

I love how that second Orden Ogan song ("The Black Heart") starts off so fucking balls-to-the-wall and epic. I mean, I don't mind the symphonic turn, but I really wish they'd maintain that fury of the beginning.

The new Hibria was a fucking let-down. What the hell is Iuri doing with those vocals? He doesn't have the edge like he did on the debut.