Review the last movie you saw thread

It is Ben Afflecks directorial debut about 2 Private Investigators in Boston hired to look into the disappearence of a little girl.
The girls mother is a drug user and is in with the wrong crowd and is a bad mother etc....

Fuck it's a good movie. One of the best I have seen for years and you will be thinking about it long after it has finished.....
Its from the same author who wrote Mystic River (Dennis Lehane) and is kinda similar in style...

Stars Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris, Michelle Moghnahan....

Clubbed, it was alright. Brit film about 80's drugs and clubs. Well made for what it was, you could call it depressing to a point.

I'm going to read Gone Baby Gone before watching the fillum.

I finally watched The Parallax View on Sunday night. 70s conspiracy flick with Warren Beatty. 70s conspiracy flicks are great, but there just aren't enough of them:

Three Days of the Condor - awesome
The Conversation - even more awesome

Erm... can't remember any others. Oh, if you go back to the early 60s you had The Manchurian Candidate which is BRILLIANT (no, not going to bother with the remake, even though I've heard it's OK).

I'm going to read Gone Baby Gone before watching the fillum.

Risky move.... I think it is one movie that is alot better when you know very little about the story and outcome.... I would watch the movie first because the book doesnt give you the gritty scenery, music, performance etc. The book will ruin the film watching experience (and it will take 2 hours compared to lots).

Having said that, I am currently reading another of Dennis Lehane's books called Shutter Island which I have heard is to be made into a film by Martin Scorsese with Leonardo DiCaprio :headbang:

Well I have the book so I'd rather read that and then know what happens at the end of the movie than the other way around.

Shutter Island is BRILLIANT. It's the only Lehane book I've read so far.

Speaking of books, I demand that everyone read Tokyo by Mo Hayder. I was emotionally drained after reading it. Just... dude. Excellent book, but I could never read it again - much like I could never watch Once Were Warriors again, because it took so much out of me the first time.

It's about... well, I know I'll just give far too much away, so here's the synopsis from Amazon:

Student Grey Hutchins has come to Tokyo because of an obsession. Vulnerable and on the edge, she is searching for a fragment of film supposedly taken during the notorious Nanking Massacre in 1937 when the Japanese murdered 300,000 civilians. Some say the film doesn't exist. The only man who can help is a survivor of the Massacre. Immersed in his books and wary of strangers, this man will at first have nothing to do with Grey. Increasingly desperate, she accepts a hostess job at an exclusive nightspot catering for businessmen and gangsters, and it is here she comes to the attention of one particular man. Ancient, wheel-chair bound and guarded by a terrifying nurse, it is rumoured he relies on a strange elixir for his continued well-being - an elixir others want, at any price...With its heady atmosphere of overt violence, lurking fear and sexual tension, "Tokyo" grabs the reader and refuses to let go until its shattering final pages.

Sounds decent.
I am thinking about reading THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy next however.

Cormac McCarthy sets his new novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing, and marauding bands of cannibals roam the environment with pieces of human flesh stuck between their teeth. If this sounds oppressive and dispiriting, it is. McCarthy may have just set to paper the definitive vision of the world after nuclear war, and in this recent age of relentless saber-rattling by the global powers, it's not much of a leap to feel his vision could be not far off the mark nor, sadly, right around the corner. Stealing across this horrific (and that's the only word for it) landscape are an unnamed man and his emaciated son, a boy probably around the age of ten. It is the love the father feels for his son, a love as deep and acute as his grief, that could surprise readers of McCarthy's previous work. McCarthy's Gnostic impressions of mankind have left very little place for love. In fact that greatest love affair in any of his novels, I would argue, occurs between the Billy Parham and the wolf in The Crossing. But here the love of a desperate father for his sickly son transcends all else. McCarthy has always written about the battle between light and darkness; the darkness usually comprises 99.9% of the world, while any illumination is the weak shaft thrown by a penlight running low on batteries. In The Road, those batteries are almost out--the entire world is, quite literally, dying--so the final affirmation of hope in the novel's closing pages is all the more shocking and maybe all the more enduring as the boy takes all of his father's (and McCarthy's) rage at the hopeless folly of man and lays it down, lifting up, in its place, the oddest of all things: faith

So maybe Tokyo after that...

The Road has been made into a movie with Viggo Mortensen and Guy Pearce and Charlize Theron and Robert Duvall so may end up just watching it instead

went to see the midnight screening of X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night and was incredible underwhelmed by it.

the plot and character motivations was very thin and didn't make a lick of sense, too many references & character inclusions that were a waste of time and too much mashing up characters to make them all fit, special effects looked dodgy, acting was pretty piss poor.

very little to redeem the film, unless you like mindless action flicks.

and if you are massive comic geek, seriously avoid, especially for what they did to the Deadpool character.

*sigh* You're the second person I know to give this a bit of a bagging, and for the same reasons. I was really looking forward to this one too. :(

don't see why you're so surprised.

hell, if you liked X-Men 3 and this sort of film, you'll be fine.
the people I went with loved it but I tend to hold my films and especially adaptations to high standards.

I enjoyed PARTS of X-men III. But a good deal of it made me facepalm, sadly. Does not bode well...

Tell me it's better than Indiana Jones 4 at least... :ill:

I haven't seen Indie 4 but I can probably saw that it is better than that film.

to put it on scale of Marvel films: it's fair superior to Ghost Rider, better than The Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer but below The Incredible Hulk and well below Iron Man.

the problem after such good comic based films like The Dark Knight and Watchmen, anything else that is a little sloppy and replaces plot and character with action scenes is a bit of a let down.

but go and see it if you want and try to keep a mindset of "it's an action film, I just have to enjoy it for that" and you'll be fine.

to put it on scale of Marvel films: it's fair superior to Ghost Rider, better than The Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer but below The Incredible Hulk and well below Iron Man.

Yes but more importantly how does it compare to the Adam West era Batman material?

07_batman_firstmovie.jpg