Review the last movie you saw thread

I saw Night at the Museum 2 on Saturday. Went to Imax because I thought it'd be 3D. Ended up just being on a bloody big screen. Bit of a waste of money really. The film wasn't bad though. Not brilliant, but pretty good.

saw St. Trinian's last night.

it's the ulitmate naughty school girl film.

very funny, with so many little sight-gags, references to other films by Firth and Everett (who utterly steal the film) and lots of jolly fun.

highly recommend it if you want to watch something silly yet very clever and funny. :D

I just watched "Mr. Brooks". It was on Foxtel back in Feb (maybe it's still being shown) and I just got around to watching it.

Kevin Costner plays the title character, a retired serial killer who has just gotten back in the game. William Hurt is the voice in his head urging him on. Demi Moore is the cop investigating the murders. A wonderful, beautifully-shot film. Think "Dexter" but without the smarmy humour and even intelligence-insulting voice over (sorry, the third series of "Dexter" just didn't work for me).

Costner is excellent in this. He's getting to be a very good actor as he gets older (my favourite performance of his is still "The Upside of Anger").

Just watched the Superman Doomsday animated movie on Blu-Ray.

It's yet another reinvention of the Death and Resurrection of Superman story (starting with the Doomsday storyline which were famous for killing off the Man of Steel) but since we know what this animated incarnation of Doomsday does, the movie focuses more on the Resurrection of Superman.

This was produced by Bruce Timms, who has been largely responsible for the DC Animated Universe starting with the legendary Batman & Superman series and the two Justice League cartoons and carries a lot of his influence, in terms of animation style, references to previous stories, dark humour and works and the overall flow and impact of the plot.
It's actually pretty emotive too, pulling many strings with certain moments.
It's also pretty brutal, knowing that it was made for DVD release and a more mature audience.

The only trouble I have with Superman as a character is that he is Superman -largely invincible and no one to truly go against him one on one (which is why Lex Luthor makes a great antagonist for him since it's physical verses mental/intelligence) so it's hard to believe that Superman can be defeated by someone. And this movie takes it into account.

After this film, I recommend the other DC animated film Justice League: The New Frontier which is designed to bridge the gap between the Golden Age and the Silver Age of DC comics and focuses largely on the Silver Age characters of Hal Jordan/Green Lantern and The Martian Manhunter. Now I'm waiting for the release of the Wonder Woman animated movie and the new Superman/Batman crossover -all done at the hands of Timms.

Just watched the Superman Doomsday animated movie on Blu-Ray.

It's yet another reinvention of the Death and Resurrection of Superman story (starting with the Doomsday storyline which were famous for killing off the Man of Steel) but since we know what this animated incarnation of Doomsday does, the movie focuses more on the Resurrection of Superman.

This was produced by Bruce Timms, who has been largely responsible for the DC Animated Universe starting with the legendary Batman & Superman series and the two Justice League cartoons and carries a lot of his influence, in terms of animation style, references to previous stories, dark humour and works and the overall flow and impact of the plot.
It's actually pretty emotive too, pulling many strings with certain moments.
It's also pretty brutal, knowing that it was made for DVD release and a more mature audience.

The only trouble I have with Superman as a character is that he is Superman -largely invincible and no one to truly go against him one on one (which is why Lex Luthor makes a great antagonist for him since it's physical verses mental/intelligence) so it's hard to believe that Superman can be defeated by someone. And this movie takes it into account.

After this film, I recommend the other DC animated film Justice League: The New Frontier which is designed to bridge the gap between the Golden Age and the Silver Age of DC comics and focuses largely on the Silver Age characters of Hal Jordan/Green Lantern and The Martian Manhunter. Now I'm waiting for the release of the Wonder Woman animated movie and the new Superman/Batman crossover -all done at the hands of Timms.

I have the Comix hav'nt finished reading them yet

An Inconvenient Truth. Took me long enough to get around to watching it. Interesting viewing though. I like the lecture style presentation, for it gets info over in an easy to understand way.

Yes, it's very good. Quite ridiculous that it won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, considering it's just a filmed seminar, but very good nonetheless.

I watched it on a flight from London to Osaka. I'm not sure yet if I really appreciate the irony of watching an anti-global warming doco on a plane.

just got back from seeing Transformers 2 AKA Michael Bay! Explosions! Times 2! EXPLOSIONS!!!!

to begin, Bay has done great things for race relations aand eliminated sterotypes from films and bring plot and perfect editing & camera work back to Hollywood films.

sarcasm aside, I was really bored with this film. Bored to the point of hating it if apathy wasn't over riding my displeasure at this abortion of a film.

that's pretty much all that I will say, because am tired, but if you are a fan of mindless action sequences, bad framing and editing and the incredible CGI girl Megan Fox (whom I find massively unattractive) then you'll like the film.

Changeling:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: OUT OF :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Great movie.
I knew it was about the boy who went missing and Christine Collins getting the wrong boy back but had no idea on the other element to the film...
Awesome.... Angelina Jolie was very good... I don't rate her but she nailed the part.... highly recommended. Best I have seen since Gone Baby Gone and There Will be Blood.

Nobody writes a negative review like Roger Ebert:

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

The plot is incomprehensible. The dialog of the Autobots, Deceptibots and Otherbots is meaningless word flap. Their accents are Brooklyese, British and hip-hop, as befits a race from the distant stars. Their appearance looks like junkyard throw-up. They are dumb as a rock. They share the film with human characters who are much more interesting, and that is very faint praise indeed.

The movie has been signed by Michael Bay. This is the same man who directed "The Rock" in 1996. Now he has made "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Faust made a better deal. This isn't a film so much as a toy tie-in. Children holding a Transformer toy in their hand can invest it with wonder and magic, imagining it doing brave deeds and remaining always their friend. I knew a little boy once who lost his blue toy truck at the movies, and cried as if his heart would break. Such a child might regard "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" with fear and dismay.

The human actors are in a witless sitcom part of the time, and lot of the rest of their time is spent running in slo-mo away from explosions, although--hello!--you can't outrun an explosion. They also make speeches like this one by John Turturro: "Oh, no! The machine is buried in the pyramid! If they turn it on, it will destroy the sun! Not on my watch!" The humans, including lots of U.S. troops, shoot at the Transformers a lot, although never in the history of science fiction has an alien been harmed by gunfire.

There are many great-looking babes in the film, who are made up to a flawless perfection and look just like real women, if you are a junior fanboy whose experience of the gender is limited to lad magazines. The two most inexplicable characters are Ron and Judy Witwicky (Kevin Dunn and Julie White), who are the parents of Shia LaBeouf, who Mephistopheles threw in to sweeten the deal. They take their son away to Princeton, apparently a party school, where Judy eats some pot and goes berserk. Later they swoop down out of the sky on Egypt, for reasons the movie doesn't make crystal clear, so they also can run in slo-mo from explosions.

The battle scenes are bewildering. A Bot makes no visual sense anyway, but two or three tangled up together create an incomprehensible confusion. I find it amusing that creatures that can unfold out of a Camaro and stand four stories high do most of their fighting with...fists. Like I say, dumber than a box of staples. They have tiny little heads, except for Starscream®, who is so ancient he has an aluminum beard.

Aware that this movie opened in England seven hours before Chicago time and the morning papers would be on the streets, after writing the above I looked up the first reviews as a reality check. I was reassured: "Like watching paint dry while getting hit over the head with a frying pan!" (Bradshaw, Guardian); "Sums up everything that is most tedious, crass and despicable about modern Hollywood!" (Tookey, Daily Mail); "A giant, lumbering idiot of a movie!" (Edwards, Daily Mirror). The first American review, Todd Gilchrist of Cinematical, reported that Bay's "ambition runs a mile long and an inch deep," but, in a spirited defense, says "this must be the most movie I have ever experienced." He is bullish on the box office: it "feels destined to be the biggest movie of all time." It’s certainly the biggest something of all time.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090623/REVIEWS/906239997

the review is actually a lot nicer than lots of the fans have said about it.

just watched the original Transformers movie, the animated one from 1986 and it's cheesy, badly scripted, lacking plot and any and/or character development and boosts one of the most dated cheesy soundtracks of all time. But it's still far superior to both the live action films.

plus it has the most brutal opening 30 minutes that any child of that era had to watch.

each and every one of your heroes being systematically slaughtered with such ease but saw the rise of new (though not better) heroes.

Can't say I really care what the critics say, I'm looking forward to it

Plus... Ebert gets some basic details wrong in his review

One thing I always wonder though, the common criticism of comic / gaming / nerd movies is that the plot is "too confusing" or "not there at all".... but I've never had trouble understanding them

It's not the sort of film Ebert would like, let's face it. And it is a movie based on a cartoon based on a toy franchise.

"I find it amusing that creatures that can unfold out of a Camaro and stand four stories high do most of their fighting with...fists." He does have a point there.