Riff Thieves

Who gives a fuck? No offense Zeph, I like you and all, but this is retarded thread.

Disagree. As long as people take it seriously, it can make a good point about originality in metal, and how certain trends develop. My first post was an example of pure coincidence, but I'd like to see discussion of how certain patterns emerge within genres, and how they explain such instances of "unoriginality."

i have a tendancy to write riffs that are way too similar to other bands. and while its not intentional, its probably subliminal.

for example i wrote a riff that is nearly identical to a bathory riff. just a different ending
~gR~

Blut Aus Nord ripped off Jimi Hendrix.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Love or Confusion" - 1:25 to 1:55 sounds very similar to the latter half of "Our Blessed Frozen Cells" from The Work Which Transforms God.

And yes, this thread is for finding such similarities.

i know that bathory and emperor both ripped off the ending riff from 'for whom the bell tolls'... the bathory example is on hammerheart and the emperor example is on anthems i believe

Cookiecutter wrote a riff for our band that rips off Summoning, and he's not even a fan of that band, nor every heard their songs.

i know that bathory and emperor both ripped off the ending riff from 'for whom the bell tolls'... the bathory example is on hammerheart and the emperor example is on anthems i believe

Emperor also uses the same bell sample from that Metallica song in "The Warriors of Modern Death."

First of all, it's not "ripping off" if you've never heard the 'original.' Secondly, it is used in an entirely different context, with different effect, for different purposes (most likely), so while it may be the same chord progression or riff or whatever other quantification you want to specify in terms of base notes played, it's a completely different theme contextually.

I think most of the time, it's just coincidental.

And about Emperor using the same bell sample...I'm never surprised by how often I'll hear the same sample being used by multiple bands. Especially with sirens, bells etc.

manowar ripped off themselves.

the only band ive ever heard reuse a riff on multiple albums
~gR~
I was gonna mention the Dragonforce thing, but someone got there before me.

AC DC have made the same album a few times.
Back Seat Confidential and Beating Around The Bush are actually the same song...

Fucking dragonforce fans.
Fuck off, man. DF get a bad rep because a lot of their fans are n00bs. I'll admit that most of their riffs are the same, they reuse solos, etc. I still like them...
i have a tendancy to write riffs that are way too similar to other bands. and while its not intentional, its probably subliminal.

for example i wrote a riff that is nearly identical to a bathory riff. just a different ending
~gR~
Yeah...I do that too. I've written the riff to Am I Evil? about a million times before realizing what it was. And the first song I wrote sounds like something that got left off In The Nightside Eclipse.

One song on 1 album :p

and i think prepare for war is a bonus track but i foget

One example out of tons. And I think the amount of others saying the same thing supports my case. So ease up off me bitch.

And what the fuck does it matter if it was a bonus track? Does that somehow change the fact that Dragonforce wrote the damn song?

Someone tell me, that riff in Coroner's Masked Jackal that comes in around 25 seconds into the song, is that almost identicle to a Slayer riff? I recognized the riff the FIRST time I heard that Coroner album, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

One example out of tons. And I think the amount of others saying the same thing supports my case. So ease up off me bitch.

And what the fuck does it matter if it was a bonus track? Does that somehow change the fact that Dragonforce wrote the damn song?

DragonForce haters are gay, and bonus songs could represent a song that was named X(in this case Prepare for War) and went onto the album as X(Fury of the Storm)

but you're apparently extremely touchy tonight so i'm just gonna lol at u overreacting

if you listen to the riff on behemoth's "conquer all" from demigod it sounds very similar to "be all end all" by anthrax.