Riff Thieves

System of a Down ripped off part of I am the Black Wizards in their song Revenga... its a little faster in system's version but theres a live video where Serj is screaming just like Ihsahn on youtube as well during the song... and obviously System knows who Emperor is

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, they're both good songs. Personally, I enjoy listening to Sonic Firestorm the best (when I'm in the mood for Dragonforce; I really don't listen to them all that much anymore).
Same here. Interested to see if they evolve at all on the next album, though.

Damn, I don't think I have the Valley edition with the bonus track. I'm gonna have to get that.
Neither do I...downloaded that song. Wait for the remaster...
Megadeth "Mechanix" ripped of a riff from Metallica "The Four Horsemen"
Don't be stupid. Mustaine wrote that riff.
The first riff to "Ye Entrancemperium" was written by Euronymous. I'm not sure if it was ever used in a Mayhem song, but due credit was given in the Anthems notes.
It wasn't used in any Mayhem song.

Okay, not sure if this one's been discussed yet, but I've often wondered whether Iron Maiden ripped off Venom for their opening riff to "2 Minutes to Midnight". The similarity to "Welcome to Hell" seems far too close (as well as the musical scene the two bands share) to be a coincidence.

I doubt it.

However, Maiden ripped off part of Hallowed Be Thy Name from another band. Also, the boring-ass part of the Nomad was stolen. And it's rumored (and seems fairly likely) that they bought Prowler of some dude.

Sorry, misinformation.

There are two similar riffs on Versus the World and With Oden...

But I don't remember which ones. They're both around the middle of their respective albums, though.

While I love them, most of their stuff is pretty similar, tbh.