Roadrunner about Ghost Reveries

Anarkissed

BOK CHOY!!!
May 3, 2003
Uranus
anarkissed.deviantart.com
Just in case this hasn't been posted (and sorry if it already has been.)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/Opeth/

By now, a handful of journalists from various metal publications in the US are heading back stateside from spending the weekend in Sweden with Opeth (hearing the new album, conducting interviews). Speaking of the band's upcoming debut on Roadrunner Records, their A&R Rep here - Mike Gitter - was in the studio with the band early last week, and has the following to say about what he's heard:

Heard four songs and was blown away....basically, they encompass all things Opeth with a confidence and aggressiveness that smells like a band's best record. Mikael Akerfeldt told the truth when he talked about a return to the heaviness Opeth is known for. The album's opener, "Ghost of Perdition" explodes into a god-like riff (replete with his unholy roar) before clobbering you with riffs and musical moves that stretch and break the limits of what can be done within the same song.

You can hear a band so self-assured it's frightening. Keyboardist Per Wiberg -- now a fulltime member of Opeth -- adds hugely to the band's sound without overwhelming or softening the intensity of things. Akerfeldt possesses a much stronger vocal range. And drummer Martin Lopez throws in a lot freer range of rhythms and percussion than you've ever heard in Opeth's sound in the past.

As strong as the sound and mix of the record was with Steven Wilson on the past three record, the sound of this record is crushing. The band, along with engineer/mixer Jens Borgen have crafted a sound that is totally intricate and in your face. I can't wait til the world hears this record.

Well obviously it's praising Opeth since they're the label, but at least it's something. There's also a few piccies.

as fun as reading this was, I wouldn't pay much attention to a label guy praising his company's product.

Having said that, my hopes are high as Opeth have yet to disappoint*

* this statement is not necesarilly 100% correct

;)

who in the blue bloody fuck is Jens Borgen?

appearantly he's the Sound mixer, but what else has he done?