Satyricon

Nemesis Divina is my favorite, but not by much as I see all their albums on virtually the same level, each not outdoing any other by very much.

I picked up Rebel Extravaganza today for 7 bucks. My Satyricon discography is now complete.

^Cool, how is it?
Nemesis Divina had one standout great song that you'd get hooked on instantly(Mother North) but Immortality Passion is a song I'm really beginning to enjoy, same thing with Dawn of A New Age and Du Som Hater Gud, it's so tough to decide which of those is better, Nemesis Divina starts out with one of the best riffs I've ever heard in black metal near thr 1:00 mark and then the song goes somewhere else towards the end. kinda like Forkhest did too, so just tryoing to judge this album is really tough, one thing for sure is that I haven't got borted of it at all.
And Transcendental Requiem of Slaves is a great instrumental, it'd sound even better with vocals.

I would rank them like this.

1. The Shadowthrone
2. Nemesis Divina
3. Volcano
4. Dark Medieval Times
5. Now, Diabolical
6. Rebel Extravaganza

Strangely enough, here's their discography (excepting Rebel...) in order as to the amount I listen to each.

1. Now, Diabolical
2. Volcano
3. Nemesis Divina
4. The Shadowthrone
5. Dark Medieval Times

Their two recent releases seem to be more accessible and thus I listen to them more often, because black metal albums (for me) are like an event in which I must give my full attention.

Haven't listened yet.

Looking at the artwork, did Satyr shave his head around that time and it grew back for Volcano, or was he wearing some sort of cap to make him look like a psychotic skinhead?
Someone from Sweden told me Satyr had went to prision around that time for some reason and that he was indeed bald.

Is there proof of this? Why was he imprisoned?
I don't know, the Swede wasn't too sure himself as I asked him why Satyr was bald on Rebel as well and what did Satyr do to go to prison, he said at that time Satyr went to jail for either assault or theft, I'm assuming if he did it was most likely assault.

Thread resurrection to discuss the band's new album Deep Calleth upon Deep, which is being released next week. To my mind, it is apparent that Satyr struggles to prepare the ground for a classic-to-be album (famous painter's artwork, pompous press releases etc. etc.). Regardless, I find the album to be unexpectedly decent, the black metal parts are definitely highlighted more than their last few records and only at parts does the album feel somewhat forced.

Three songs range from good to very good ("Midnight Serpent", "Blood Cracks Open the Ground", "Black Wings and Withering Gloom"), without meaning that that the band is reinventing anything of course. The impression that I got is that that they used certain elements from most eras of their career into a single album. The song "Dissonant" is not great, but not bad either (the saxophone announcement had me scared, but fortunately its use is very modest and has nothing in common with Ihsahn's avant-gardisms) and so is "Burial Rite". "Deep Calleth upon Deep" and "The Ghost of Rome" are the worst songs of the album in my opinion and the songs that prevent the album from being homogeneous -some may say that variety is a good thing but it's not done in a tasteful way as far as I am concerned. What do you guys think?