Satyricon

I wasn't too fond of Enslaved's Isa album after i bought it... liked it at first but then didn't... haven't listened to it since.. but perhaps I should give a listen again... Satyricon is better though .. at least early Satyricon...

I dont mind Enslaved, I just think there is too much hate towards Satyricon. Over-rated? Over-rated my arse, the only people that over-rate Satyricon were all those critics that heard Black Metal for the first time when Satyricon were released on a major label... Largely in the Metal community Satyricon are very under-rated.

Of course Enslaved were faaar more important than Satyricon! How can anyone even think about questioning that? you can't just slap some flutes over some standard black metal and claim to be a "huge influence in the second wave", that's ridiculous! Enslaved were viking metal at their very core, with those lovely melodies in their very core and long, epic, exploring (like the vikings!!!!) song structures.

About damn time a post here was made which bears legitimacy!

That said, fuck you Hubster, "Dark Medieval Times" and "The Shadowthrone" and bloody excellent! :kickass:

Dude... they have one good album and one good EP!

:lol: Man if I do get there next year, we're gonna have to sit down over a drink and discuss this!

I like Satyricon's earlier works from DMT to NM better than their older stuff, Fuel for Hatred was ok, but I've liked everything I've heard off Now, Diabolical but that's not to say I like it better than their older stuff.
Now that I have Nemesis Divina, I can say that Satyricon has remainded very good consistently despite changes in the music, Now, Diabolical was very good, Nemesis Divina was very good also, but both are very good for different reasons. I can't really say the older stuff is better or the newer stuff is because they're both very good but in different ways, I'm sure I'll be picking up the Satyricon discography in the next couple years and I'll be able to improve my opinion on them like I've done today.

Yeah, Frost is pretty good (assuming that's the one your talking about). Actually, I haven't heard anything after that album so I couldn't give you my opinion on their later material.

Rebel Extravaganza is the only Satyricon album I have left to pick up, and from what I understand it represents their turning point. How's it compare to either era of the band's evolution. Is it like a cross between Nemesis Divina and Volcano?

^I heard a song off of Rebel Extravaganza, it was either Tied in Bronze Chains or The Scorn Torrent, it didn't seem to have the outside elements(pianos, flutes, non-traditional instruments) that Satyricon used on Nemesis Divina. I had plenty of tremoloing and blasting but some single picked passages in it as well like you would see on l;ater Satyricon.

^I like the songs I heard from Volcano, Repined Bastard Nation, Fuel For Hatred and Possessed, how is the rest or is those 3 songs the best on it?

I enjoy all of Satyricon's discography (except Rebel Extravaganza, which I have not yet heard), and I believe that they have remained consistently good despite changes in style. Maybe their newer stuff is not quite as gr1m or kvlt as their first few, but as far as that particular kind of metal goes, it's decent.

^What do yuo say is their best? I have a feeling I'll be saying The Shadowthrone is my favorite when I've gotten the whole discography, because the stuff I've heard opff it has been great and Satyr's vocals are good in the mix and he's doing the aggresive rasp like he does on Volcano and Now, Diabolical on it most of the time from what I could tell.

Rebel Extravaganza is the only Satyricon album I have left to pick up, and from what I understand it represents their turning point. How's it compare to either era of the band's evolution. Is it like a cross between Nemesis Divina and Volcano?

Yeh its not far off from that kind of cross. It still has some old black metal elements of theirs, but it certainly is rocked up to a similar fashion to Volcano or Diabolical. Its that badder album really, but its by no means as good as nemesis, shadowthrone or DMT.

I dont mind Enslaved, I just think there is too much hate towards Satyricon. Over-rated? Over-rated my arse, the only people that over-rate Satyricon were all those critics that heard Black Metal for the first time when Satyricon were released on a major label... Largely in the Metal community Satyricon are very under-rated.

Exactly.. +10

^Definitely, Satyricon is very overlooked and underrated for a few reasons, I've heard people say they're not troo along with many other reasons.