Sell me on "Blackwater Park"

There's a bit in Bleak that I never really felt before hearing the live version. On Blackwater Park, it begins at 6:40. It's this deep, brooding, sorrowful relapse from the intensity of the previous passage with the guitar shredding and whatnot (although that could be said for many parts of any Opeth song). It strikes me as... Russian? Dunno. But once I noticed it, I liked the song a LOT more than ever before. So I hope that helps.

That part is so awesome, great bassline and soaring harmonized Ebow leads. The transition from the acoustic part to the heavy sections and back to the chorus, it's so perfect.

after The Leper Affinity and Bleak the album looses my attention as well, so it never was my favourite one as well. although I like Harvest, The Funeral Portrait and the other ones, they seem a bit boring at times, especially Blackwater Park and Dirge for November.
but I also think that the accessibility of this album is the reason of its succes with a bigger crowd.

oh well, what you gonna do about it :) ... sometimes songs get to you, sometimes they don't even though you can still like them. for example Ghost of Perdition never holds my attention (although I tend to keep this quiet for it seems to be a favourite of so many people).

Some of the things I like best about this album:
--Outstanding use of the ebow. I don't think there's any other metal album that does it so well. What the ebow does is basically emulate a sustained keyboard, but it has a sound that's so much more organic, whereas keys sound too theatrical much of the time (a major issue with GR). Keys are also decidedly not heavy. Consider the ebow that compliments the opening riff to the title track. If you were listening to keys along with that, it would probably sound awful. Ebow is the feature of the album. There are many sections where the ebow has this wistful, ghastly sound, which is enhanced by the subtle pitch bends and echoes. It thematically fits very well with the swampy, foggy atmosphere. The distorted guitars are like a dense, soggy, earthy foundation, and the ebow is the fog and gloom in the air.
--The production is full of life. It is probably the best produced album in an objective sense, although many people prefer what the production deficiencies do for the atmosphere of the earlier albums. The clean guitar sounds excellent. Mike is writing his best clean riffs in this era. The bonus tracks exemplify this. The balance between clean and heavy guitars is not awkward. On the surface, it may seem silly to have clean strumming be equally as loud as distorted guitars, but BWP avoids this pitfall pretty well.
--Superior bass presence to the post-Morningrise albums. Some cool stuff, like the slap bass part in the title track.
--The piano sounds great.

Some reasons people might not get as much out of this one:
--Have listened to most of the other albums first, so some of the melodies, ideas, song structures seem stale.
--Might seem tame to people who listen to a lot of other extreme metal.
--The songs do tend to be on the slow side.
--Some people prefer grittier production.
--

It's been a while since Opeth released Blackwater Park, and I am still struggling to come to terms with it. What is it about this album that makes you like it as much (or more) as the other Opeth releases? What is it about this album that I don't get?
It took me a long while to dig My Arms Your Hearse too, but that album didn't bore me while I figured it out.

To me, Park sounds very uninspired. It's sluggish, the tempo is generally low, Mendez' drumwork is very open and repetitive, riffs are repeated more often than on other albums and are more similar to each other. Very little (compared to more progressive tracks such as, say, "When") happens in the songs on this album (or am I missing something?) - "Harvest" drones on and on, "Blackwater Park" likewise. "The Drapery Falls" tries to be more exciting, but is slow and the parts don't flow together very well.

I put the disc on regularly, hoping that BAM now it comes and I have a new Opeth album to love, but before "Bleak" is over I'm bored, and I put on any of the other CDs (Damnation excepted. A man needs growling.)

There is a distinct difference between Park and the other Opeth albums IMO - usually an Opeth track takes you through a varied soundscape. As an example, the parts that make up a song like "Ghost of Perdition" or "Advent" are different from each other, yet flow together - many ideas crammed into one song. On Park, ideas are repeated over and over.

Libera me

It *IS* a good album, but weaker than other works. Personally I find the production on this record far too clean. And I'm really fucking over Drapery.

First off, a thread about trying to help some gimp like an album is fucking stupid. Asking people what bit they like and then going off and convincing themseleves, 'yeah, that guy was right, it is a good drum section' fucking daft. Granted an opinion can help but directly being told what specific part is regarded as good is fucking daft!
As for 'getting over drapery' bravo on that, and its commercial aspect, Mike release an album ASAP cause this forums intelligent and engaging conversation and constuctive critiscm is drying up fast.

First off, a thread about trying to help some gimp like an album is fucking stupid. Asking people what bit they like and then going off and convincing themseleves, 'yeah, that guy was right, it is a good drum section' fucking daft. Granted an opinion can help but directly being told what specific part is regarded as good is fucking daft!
As for 'getting over drapery' bravo on that, and its commercial aspect, Mike release an album ASAP cause this forums intelligent and engaging conversation and constuctive critiscm is trying up fast.

Do I sense some irony in the latter aspects of your post? Drapery is a good song, but it gets old really fast, at least for me. Must be Steven wilson and his ebow-sustainer.

Do I sense some irony in the latter aspects of your post? Drapery is a good song, but it gets old really fast, at least for me. Must be Steven wilson and his ebow-sustainer.

...yeah, that damn Steven Wilson with his e-bow; that's exactly what makes the song get old.:rolleyes:

For me, Opeth has not released a "bad" album. But, BP is my least favorite. I never understood all the praise it initially recieved. Some have told me it is their "defining album." The one that made every one "aware" of Opeth. I just never understood that. I completely agree with the theory, "you either like it or you don't." However, MetalMaster does raise some valid points.

Well I'm one of those who think this album is by far the best Opeth release "yet". One of the reasons why I like it so much is that it's like the instruments blend togeather in a united entirety (Don't know if you can actually say that). It's not just some parts that fit togeather. It's beyond that. It's a unity of sound, and to me it creates images inside my head. For example at 3:27 in Dirge For November I picture some guy struggling to walk through a raging blizzard. And at the meditative clean passage in the title track I picture the Mires of "Blackwater Park" covered in fog with dead bodies lying under the water, and when the distorted guitars kicks in, I see them come alive.

No other Opeth release has been able to affect my mind to the same extend as Blackwater Park.

I don't care much if Blackwater Park is more comercial or less progressive or less techniqal than other Opeth albums. The atmospheres and moods the songs create is what makes it stand out as a superior Masterpiece to me.

commercial my ass

Well, I don't mean commercial in, say, a pop way, but it's their easiest song to get into. This one serves as many's introduction to Opeth, and is easy to recommend if you want to "trick one over" into listening to them, rather than giving them Black Rose Immortal.

As for 'getting over drapery' bravo on that, and its commercial aspect, Mike release an album ASAP cause this forums intelligent and engaging conversation and constuctive critiscm is drying up fast.

For what it's worth, I had trouble getting into My Dying Bride's "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" too, but after discussing the album with other fans of the band I began to find its soul. Now I love the album. Same with Bal-sagoth's "Atlantis Ascendant", which I for some reason found less interesting than the rest of their discography but which I now listen to almost daily.

It seems this thread provokes the kids around here, but it's good to see some mature discussion inbetween the r0xxors.

For what it's worth, I had trouble getting into My Dying Bride's "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" too, but after discussing the album with other fans of the band I began to find its soul. Now I love the album. Same with Bal-sagoth's "Atlantis Ascendant", which I for some reason found less interesting than the rest of their discography but which I now listen to almost daily.

It seems this thread provokes the kids around here, but it's good to see some mature discussion inbetween the r0xxors.

Fair enough discussion can be the gate way to a different listen of songs but my point was to say for someone to ask 'sell me on BWP' :Smug: it just sounds arsey

Some of the things I like best about this album:
--Outstanding use of the ebow. I don't think there's any other metal album that does it so well. What the ebow does is basically emulate a sustained keyboard, but it has a sound that's so much more organic, whereas keys sound too theatrical much of the time (a major issue with GR). Keys are also decidedly not heavy. Consider the ebow that compliments the opening riff to the title track. If you were listening to keys along with that, it would probably sound awful. Ebow is the feature of the album. There are many sections where the ebow has this wistful, ghastly sound, which is enhanced by the subtle pitch bends and echoes. It thematically fits very well with the swampy, foggy atmosphere. The distorted guitars are like a dense, soggy, earthy foundation, and the ebow is the fog and gloom in the air.
--The production is full of life. It is probably the best produced album in an objective sense, although many people prefer what the production deficiencies do for the atmosphere of the earlier albums. The clean guitar sounds excellent. Mike is writing his best clean riffs in this era. The bonus tracks exemplify this. The balance between clean and heavy guitars is not awkward. On the surface, it may seem silly to have clean strumming be equally as loud as distorted guitars, but BWP avoids this pitfall pretty well.
--Superior bass presence to the post-Morningrise albums. Some cool stuff, like the slap bass part in the title track.
--The piano sounds great.

Some reasons people might not get as much out of this one:
--Have listened to most of the other albums first, so some of the melodies, ideas, song structures seem stale.
--Might seem tame to people who listen to a lot of other extreme metal.
--The songs do tend to be on the slow side.
--Some people prefer grittier production.
--

Best post in the topic.

HEY GUYZ, I DONT LIEK BROCOLI, BUT I REALLY WANTS YOU TO MAKE ME LIKE IT, COS I FEEL LIKE I'M MISSING PART OF ALL THE VEGETABLES WHEN I DONT EAT IT!