Sideways...just because you know it deserves its own thread

I don't like wine at all. WHich probably explains some of my dislike for Sideways, because of all the whoopdeedoo wine talk. They should've gone beer tasting.

The wallet scene was great.

I'm not really a big fan of wine either, but I don't think that really affected how I watched Sideways (although, admittedly, it made me want to open a bottle, heh).

I just thought it was a really, really well crafted script. It did get a ton of admiration from the high-profile critics because most critics are wannabe screenwriters, and most screenwriters would give their left arm to be able to write a script like that. Granted, it was adapted from a novel, but still.

Small indie movies (whether drama, horror, or whatever) >> Hollywood shit + piss

Star Wars... :lol: I mean, that's a slam dunk. Even if it got slammed by the critics, we'd all still go see it just because of its legacy. Put it this way, who did NOT go see Phantom Menace after reading the hateful reviews? :tickled: Fuck, I even bought the DVD -- after seeing it at the cinema, with hopes that a second viewing would make me like it more. :ill:

George Lucas is a cunt, and we all know it. But his movies have more drawing power than the Death Star's tractor beam. :loco:

my friend just emailed me ... he went to a midnight screening.

he said it's like Phantom ... about 70% crap ... and 30% good

lurch70 said:
my friend just emailed me ... he went to a midnight screening.

he said it's like Phantom ... about 70% crap ... and 30% good

If it was like Phantom, it would be 95% crap, and 5% passable.

People see that this new one has "30%" of muchly goodness and interpret it to be a 'good' film. No, it's just going to be better than Phantom and Clones. Let's not get carried away here.

I really have little desire to see the new Star Wars. I didn't even RENT "CLones" until about 4 months of it being on video. Phantom Menace, CLones, and Sith are not Star Wars. That's like calling Cradle of Filth black metal.

the biggest problem I cannot overlook with the new ones ... how can everything be so technologically advanced in "the past" ... compared to the "future" of the 70's ones.

I know I am supposed to overlook things like that ... but still.

and of course I will go next week to check out Sith

JayKeeley said:
Put it this way, who did NOT go see Phantom Menace after reading the hateful reviews? :tickled:
:wave: I finally watched Phantom Menace the night before Clone Wars came out, just to clue myself in on the new shit. I hated it SO FUCKING MUCH I waited for the DVD of Clone Wars. :dopey:

if fucking Lucas had just started with Episode I in 1977 instead of IV, no one could bitch. Dumbass Lucas.

J. said:
if fucking Lucas had just started with Episode I in 1977 instead of IV, no one could bitch. Dumbass Lucas.

The original STAR WARS was done as an indie, more an experiment than anything else. Nobody knew what it would turn into.

lurch70 said:
The original STAR WARS was done as an indie, more an experiment than anything else. Nobody knew what it would turn into.

Hmmm, Star Wars has always been 20th Century Fox, sense the begining.

I went to the midnight screening, first one, and let me tell you, its MUCH better then the other two.

KILL TULLY said:
Hmmm, Star Wars has always been 20th Century Fox, sense the begining.

I went to the midnight screening, first one, and let me tell you, its MUCH better then the other two.

yes, as they picked it up in the process ... indie meaning that the idea was not developed by Lucas in 1977 to be 6 episodes ... he did it as a one off ... with a low budget.

lurch70 said:
yes, as they picked it up in the process ... indie meaning that the idea was not developed by Lucas in 1977 to be 6 episodes ... he did it as a one off ... with a low budget.

Is that right? I know he had a hard time selling it, but I thought he wrote Star Wars as 9 episodes. He only recently announced he wasn't going to do the last 3.

Sideways > Lost In Translation, though both are excellent and feature unsurpassable lead performances. Failure to nominate Paul Giamatti was the academy's biggest embarassment since Titanic swept the awards. I also liked The Life Aquiatic more than most people, though I was too busy trying to catch all the sight gags and small details to appreciate the acting...

lurch70 said:

Noo, he had the idea to make it 6 episodes sense the beginning actually. Thats why its called Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope.

He also claims the scripts for 1 2 3 where drafted right after Jedi, but I think thats garbage. But he definitly always wanted to make it 6 movies.

Also, Lucas did not get picked up by 20th centuary fox in the process of the movie, he had to go to them and beg for money before he started filming. So it was never techinicly and Indie film, always being backed by a large production company.

not sure .. the truth is on that long documentary on the 3pk DVD's ... but as far I remember, back when originally released STAR WARS, was just called STAR WARS ... I think the monicker of IV A NEW HOPE ... was added later

Just finished watching it.. im totally in love with this movie, it will be on my all time favourites for sure. The characters, the philosophy about the wine and the affection to it, the warm mood, the emotions, the humor, the performances, everything was fucking PERFECT. Im gonna see it again tomorrow. Twice probably. Its unbelievable.