Sludge metal. It's good;

Any recs for groovy sludge? Like the "Southern/Delta" breakdowns in Soilent Green songs. Something bluesy with a nice groove?

Also I don't think I entirely "get" what sludge is, I was surprised to see Isis and Gojira here.

Sludge is an odd genre... it can go from the hate filled tourtered music of EyeHateGod, Iron Monkey, and Grief... to the damn near tranquility of Pelican.

Here's a few bands that I'm into listening too evey now and then..

Eyehategod

Lair of the Minotaur

Fudge Tunnel

Floodgate

Ghost Brigade

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recs for groovy sludge? Like the "Southern/Delta" breakdowns in Soilent Green songs. Something bluesy with a nice groove?
You'd probably enjoy Eyehategod's Take As Needed For Pain. The blues element really shines on that album. Plus Brian Patton is also in EHG.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNRZIFxkt-c&feature=related[/ame]

*EDIT* As an excuse to post more EHG songs I'll say check out Confederacy of Ruined Lives as well. Strong blues influence on that one too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9-y6HWN6w&feature=related[/ame]

Just listen to Boris, they're like one of the most cool bands ever. They're a japanses band who've covered a lot of 'metal' styles. They've released fast rock-ish albums, examples: "Akuma no Uta", "Pink" and "Smile", which are all noisy punk/rock/metal.
And then they've released albums like "Absolutego", "Flood" and "Feedbacker" which all include one song taking up the entire album. They've also done drone stuff and some mellow.
You can't go wrong with them, just pick up some of their 17+ full length albums. :)

And there's Dirge, a french slow atmospheric sludge band. They put out a record called "Wings of lead over dormant seas" which is absolutely amazing. Especially the one hour title track on disc 2.

Anyone, any more reccos on the post metal + sludge bands such as Intronaut and Isis?

Krow had some good recommendations on this but I'll add a few...

Deadbird - the head and the heart
Capricorns - ruder forms survive
Pelican - australasia
Irreversible - sins
Neurosis - through silver in blood
Men In Search of the Perfect Weapon
Omega Massif - Geisterstadt
Lento - earthen
Year of No Light - nord
Mouth of the Architect - quietly
Battle of Mice - a day of nights (and their split with Jesu is good)

Battle of Mice's vocalist... sounds like a fucking mental patient.

And, I guess she looks like one too.

Battle+of+Mice+1.jpg

She's seriously one of the most disturbing singers I've ever heard.

Just found out recently about the huge (well, comparatively) sludge scene around where I live (Georgia)...been listening to a lot of bands from here: Mastodon, Baroness, Kylesa - all fantastic.

Battle of Mice's vocalist... sounds like a fucking mental patient.

And, I guess she looks like one too.

Battle+of+Mice+1.jpg

She's seriously one of the most disturbing singers I've ever heard.

yeah man, Julie Christmas is the shit. I've heard people say they don't like her vocals or that her vocals don't work with the music or whatever but those people should be shot. I love her vocals on Battle of Mice, one minute whispering like some creepy stalker and the next she's screaming as if she's being murdered or something. psychotic and scary. too bad Battle of Mice split up.

her other band 'Made Out of Babies' is good too. much less atmospheric but still pretty noisy.

Not a huge fan of sludge, but my favorite sludge band is easily Kongh

nice. Kongh sound pretty good, never heard of them before. reminds me of YOB a bit. Deadbird is another sludge band that is described as down-tempo Black Metal, sound a little different though.

Anyone listen to Amenra? apparently coming out with a new album soon.

My favourite Sludge stuff in no specific order:

Baroness - Red Album / the Blue Record
ISIS - Panopticon / Oceanic
Pelican - The Fire in our Throats will beckon the Thaw
Mastodon - Leviathan / Remission
Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest / Sonic Excess in its Purest Form
Swarm of the Lotus - The Sirens of Silence
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
Rwake - Voices of Omens
Cult of Luna - S/T and The Beyond