snobs ?

Yeah what exactly are you trying to say about stoners? hmm? I know very successful stoners, and some not so successful.....but they're just like others, some good some bad, they're people too.

WOW! This is just the post ol' Teddy needed to crawl out from under the rock I've been hiding under for the last few weeks and bring a much needed can of HELL YEAH back to the board. I love what each of you has had to say in response to my long haired, tongue wavin', Malmsteen lookin' son of the south friend's thread.

Now, I shall drop knowledge in such a way that y'all will ask yourselves, "Who is this man and why am I so damn in love with him?!?!?". Get nice and comfy. Fasten your seatbelt. Touch yourself if you must. HERE GOES:

I think that there are only two types of music in this big ol' goofy world. GOOD AND BAD. Have I been guilty of metal snobbery in the past? Yeah. But one day I realized that it was simply because of my becoming and old fart. Do I like numetal or any band that formed after about 1988? Not usually. And sometimes I even find myself thinking that "that shit is just NOISE". Is that close minded? Maybe. Or maybe it's just because being a 31 year old father with a lot of shit on my plate that I only have a certain amount of time to devote to listening to music. So I find myself drawn to old favorites. I like to keep an open mind and sometimes something new grabs my attention and I gotta have it. An example of this is GREEN DAY's "I Walk Alone". I picked the cd up based on that song and it ain't bad. But then again, it sounds a lot like older shit that I love. ANYWAY, before I ramble too far off topic I will add that I realized one day that my disgust for NU music is probably no different than what the older guys thought of me in my IRON MAIDEN tshirt or METALLICA t when they were all still sold on Black Sabbath. I'm sure a lot of those guys thought, "come on man...Megadeth???Geez....listen to something real like Sabbath or Motorhead". So that's no different than me thinking, "Slipknot....sigh". Each new generation will latch on to something. I just think it's important to at least check out the history and see where it came from.

As far as music types go...hell. I love about anything with a guitar in it. I likes me some rap...but it's gotta be REAL. Gimme some Sugarhill Gang, NWA, or Ice T please. None of this Eminem shit or people with names that are not names like "The Game" or fakeass wannabes like 50Cent. Can you say POSER??? COUNTRY MUSIC is my favorite outside of metal, but again, I gotta have some TRUE TO THE GAME, real shit. Willie Nelson. Johnny Cash. Waylon Jennings. Or even newer artists like Shooter Jennings or even Alan Jackson. But none of that freakin' "pop rock" country. What's up with these fuckers Rascal Flatts dressing like TURBO era Judas Priest??? Or Montgomery Gentry with Chain Mic Stands??? If that's country then my ass sucks buttermilk.

I love RockNRoll, Rap, Country, Classical, and even "pop" when it's done right. Who does pop right??? I'd have to say folks like Bryan Adams or even Pink. If you hear "Summer of 69" or "Trouble" and don't tap your feet, then you probably oughtta check your pulse.

Whatever you're into, I hope you find something that resonates. Music is happy, sad, mad, and all the emotions rolled into one. So who are we to say what strikes a chord in some people's souls even if it makes us have to shit?!?!

Ray Charles said that what makes music great in any genre is the stories. If you can relate, you'll probably like it. If not, you probably wanna pass on it. This is why even though I think SLAYER have written some of the greatest riffs, (Seasons in the Abyss, anyone?) I just cannot be a fan, because I can't honestly say I've ever worn a "dead skin mask" or spent a great deal of time on probing the minds of serial killers. Just not my cup of tea.

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!!!!!!!!

Now there's one I think we can all relate to.

You can't get romantic on a subway line. Believe me. I've tried.
Love, peace and chicken grease.
Uncle Ted

Yet another kickass Ted post :worship:
Yes, you said it man, I feel more or less the same 'bout spending my time with music I know, then trying to make sence of the newer stuff. Glad to see you're feeling better :wave:

Just to add my 5 cents; I don't really care that much what other people listen to. I also very seldom discus why I like the music I like. Its a personal choice and simply not open to discussion to me. And I might add, that goes for other people's music as well.

When people say they don't like my music I try to take it as a statement of fact. Fine whatever, why are you telling me this?

Some people would say that a forum is for debating what "good" and "bad" music is. I think thats a load of crock! I come here to chat and socialize with my friends and get some news of the metal world.

Not to see the board disintegrate in to flamewars because some people like to "debate" what band is the best in the world.

That does not mean talking about music could not fantastic to do. As long as it is understood that people's choices are their own and that that very fact should be respected.

Militia said:
I could be a pothead. A pothead girl with glasses and buckteeth. :p

Girls with glasses are sexy ;)

I don't like stoner, I prefer epic doom for sure. For some reason stoner bores me, but not doom. :loco:

Yo Zep, I notice you new avatar. Being playing Blood lately? :D

Wyvern said:
Girls with glasses are sexy ;)

Yo Zep, I notice you new avatar. Being playing Blood lately? :D

Nope, Ice Winter Dale II and Battle for Middle Earth, I'm stuck on both :yell:

I"m in an avatar predicament lately, I liked Carnut's so I'm experimenting with all these gifs. I think I'll keep this one for a while, see if it grows on me.

There actually some of that nu-metal stuff I can tolerate I think Chevelle is
pretty decent fo radio metal. Cold i like them cause of their gothy vibe on their
first 2 albums. The first 2 slipknot cds were ok but tha Vol. 3 is extremely pitiful
and I think that band should call it a day before Corey ruins them even more.
And the last 2 Mudvayne albums are pretty good I hated Ld 50 other than 2
songs. SOAD if they would get rid of that Armenian Wedding singer I would like
them a little more their music is good but I hate those vocals!

This is my stance:

Random moron:I listen to metal like Mudvayne and slipknot.

Me: Uhh who??? No i listen to real music.

Random hopeless dumbshit: I listen to rap / ICP.

Me: Im sorry. I dont know how to talk to you anymore.

Then you're a fucking snob, dear. :)

I didn't think a 'metalhead' could be so moronic - did it ever occur to you that other people might not like the same music as you? Don't you think they prefer it because it's not rubbish? And their music is 'real' too? 'Tard.

Maan, grow up. You're like a newb who's just starting listening to metal, they insist on preaching it all the time like they're fucking allergic to anything else.

Militia said:

I didn't think a 'metalhead' could be so moronic - did it ever occur to you that other people might not like the same music as you? Don't you think they prefer it because it's not rubbish? And their music is 'real' too? 'Tard.

:lol: "Metalheads" are full of surprises eh? ... I dont really give anybody shit for what they listen to ... just how they behave hahaha ever since I started listening to Heavy Metal I have had the musical Experts tell me how Awful and useless it is and how I'm some sad pathetic angry person for listening to it and that it just plained sucked ... I rarely get respect for what I listen to so I dont see the point in showing it back tho I do because it is the way I would prefere to be treated

Militia said:

Maan, grow up. You're like a newb who's just starting listening to metal, they insist on preaching it all the time like they're fucking allergic to anything else.

Is not my job, but I'll point it anyway. Milady your actions are out of the spirit of UMOS.
Like JD pointed before here we have a spirit of friendship and mutual respect, that means that dissention/disagreement/opossition is welcome and encouraged in a spirit of respect.

The way you anwsered to Everlast was basically a flame (feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken), and as much as his answer could be against your belief he never insulted or attacked anyone personally.

Maybe he doesn't care, but if that would have been directed to me you would already had hit the Ignore List.

I'm sure you have a lot of good to share and give to UMOS, so think about my words :)