someone care to explain the beatles to me?

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
I never got what was so great about this band. I don't hate um, but they never sounded like anything special to me. Whats the deal with them?

I myself have thought the same that you do for quite a few years. But only in the past year have I finally realized what Is so great about them.

Lets take George Harrison's songs for example( my personal Favourites)

In this song for example, He uses simple chords.
Listen to how he plays the same; that constant rythym, how he gets from what chord to the next, the Vocal melodies, Key arrangement. etc etc !!!!

Truly, what they did is beyond comprehension. I cant even really fully explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were THE pretty boy pop pin up band of the early sixties, and then they all took drugs and started making music that for its time was quite revolutionary in that it was psychedelic and 'not-normal', but it was presented to the masses on a huge scale whether the nay-sayers and do-gooders wanted it to be or not, because of their sheer popularity. The amount of influence they had on the music we hear today is undeniable. I think they (well Lennon, Harrison & McCartney) were great song writers for the most part as well. But I'm a huge fan so I'm coming from a very biased perspective here.

Some Beatles songs that I love:

Tomorrow Never Knows​

I Am The Walrus​

Helter Skelter​
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9KRpEkGfY&feature=related[/ame]

While My Guitar Gently Weeps​

Taxman​
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQqtvl2Ibzo&feature=related[/ame]

Strawberry Fields​

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a way to explain it. From 63'-66', they were everywhere on the charts with their pop songs. In 67', they started taking the success they had, and decided, thankfully for future great bands influenced by them, to use the massive/worldwide attention, and start putting out music that wasn't typical pop. Showing that it's music, and experimentation, as well as songwriting that can be anything you want it to be...that there are no rules really. You have to realize, even if you don't like them, they could have done what all pop bands did, and still do today....keep playing formulaic pop. When they started experimenting...then came Pink Floyd (their first name was Megadeath, no joke!!)and then other Psychadelic/prog bands, because they heard what the Beatles did...no boundaries, and there were actually people out there listening, that liked to expand thier musical interests. Ozzy Osbourne's fav is none other than the Beatles. They definitely got things started, thankfully. Without their decision to take their massive attention, and do something different, prog rock, metal, ambient, new age wouldn't have started so soon..probably for another 10 years, maybe more!!

They weren't all that talented in my opinion. If it wasn't for their good vocals and songwriting noone would give a shit about them. I do give them credit for experimenting and not ending up a complete disaster but they're not great in my opinion. Just like any pop band I could never listen to them forever.

When they started experimenting...then came Pink Floyd (their first name was Megadeath, no joke!!)and then other Psychadelic/prog bands, because they heard what the Beatles did...no boundaries

Well maybe some bands did but Pink Floyd was Experimental because Syd Barrett came in and was an Experimental person. I don't think they experimented because the beatles did.

"If it wasn't for their good vocals and songwriting no one would give a shit about them. Would'nt that apply to any band? Including the bands you like. People need to look at the time period, where the Beatles attained their "monumental" status, and it might make more sense to everyone who doesn't "get it." During that time, The Beatles and producer George Martin, accomplished some "revolutinary" musical approaches. Re-listen!! "You either like or you don't."

Not a band with bad vocals and bad songwriting. I'm just saying they never had anything other than good vocals and songwriting.

I think a fraction of their popularity came from Johns war protest and the Paul is dead thing.

But I'm a huge fan so I'm coming from a very biased perspective here.

Which album would you recommend to a Beatles skeptic? (which is to say I do not dislike them and I respect their status but I've just never been drawn to any of their songs I've heard enough to seek out a whole album)

I think it's too bad they never did more stuff like Helter Skelter. Some of their songs I've heard are pretty nice but then there's things like Yellow Submarine which is just painful.

If that type of stuff was made today, I'm sure no one would really care.

um that type of stuff IS made today; it's called rock music.

Which album would you recommend to a Beatles skeptic? (which is to say I do not dislike them and I respect their status but I've just never been drawn to any of their songs I've heard enough to seek out a whole album)

I think it's too bad they never did more stuff like Helter Skelter. Some of their songs I've heard are pretty nice but then there's things like Yellow Submarine which is just painful.

I'd get 1, a greatest hits record.

Not a band with bad vocals and bad songwriting. I'm just saying they never had anything other than good vocals and songwriting.

I think a fraction of their popularity came from Johns war protest and the Paul is dead thing.

Wow, you should really learn something about said topic before running your mouth.

This goes to everyone who has made dumbshit remarks like 'hurr they wernt allt that talented'

What I meant was that it would be viewed as generic today because of the state of popular music right now. When they came onto the scene, it was something new. I'm not taking away from the fact that the band was indeed talented, but I don't really think their music is anything special. It's nothing more than average, imo. I do really like a few of their songs, but whatever.

You could, though, make a case that popular music might not be the same today had The Beatles not come along.

Mathiäs;6900775 said:
Wow, you should really learn something about said topic before running your mouth.

This goes to everyone who has made dumbshit remarks like 'hurr they wernt allt that talented'

Precisely.

That is pure ignorance.

Also, Feathers and FLames,

tell me, where would we be today if it werent for the beatles?
Dont compare the beatles to what you hear now, but rather to what was heard back then. They introduced brand new harmonic concepts, Reinveneted harmonies, melodies, and everything.None of that existed before.The success and concepts today's modern rock/pop bands dwell on was all a rip off from teh beatles, regardless of who did it better. They quite honestly were the ones who gave our modern music the qualitites ( and in parts) our in-equalities. Learn your facts before tunning your mouth, as Mathias said.

Mathiäs;6900775 said:

Its not ignorance or stupidity it is simply my opinion. You not agreeing with it doesn't make it stupid.

Precisely.

That is pure ignorance.

Also, Feathers and FLames,

tell me, where would we be today if it werent for the beatles?
Dont compare the beatles to what you hear now, but rather to what was heard back then. They introduced brand new harmonic concepts, Reinveneted harmonies, melodies, and everything.None of that existed before.The success and concepts today's modern rock/pop bands dwell on was all a rip off from teh beatles, regardless of who did it better. They quite honestly were the ones who gave our modern music the qualitites ( and in parts) our in-equalities. Learn your facts before tunning your mouth, as Mathias said.

And I am not denying The Beatles influence on music.

And I am not comparing them to bands today. They are complete poop compared to Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Black Sabbath in my opinion. I think I'm going to bold "I think" and "in my opinion" because no one seems to understand I am stating my opinion.

Having an opinion you guys don't agree with this does not make me ignorant. But I do not wish to make a big pointless arguement over this so don't respond.