Mallcore? deathcore? Care to explain?

CountedShadows

New Metal Member
Can I ask someone to explain all the sub-genre's? There's about a bajillion of them and none of them make sense. Nor can anyone agree what to call a band they hear.

Use Trivium as an example... everyone calls them something different and make fun of you if you listen to them yet they'll hound someone on the forum for weeks (near the point of being whiny pricks) to get their settings they used on their Ignition tone. They call them Mallcore... or some call them just NuMetal... or whatever metal mall this or hottopic that.

And seriously who cares if your merchandise is sold in a store somewhere? God forbid someone make money with their music. If someone chooses to support themselves and their families with their music than more power to em.

Chris

I don't really get why all these sub-genre's come up... but there will be more and that's for sure. I can only classify deathcore, being similar to death metal in it's aggressiveness and powerful vocals yet full of breakdowns and more breakdowns after breakdowns... Metalcore... honestly? I know Chimaira is supposed to be Metalcore but it just sounds ass kicking to me, so I don't really give a sh**.

IIRC I heard the term mallcore in the early 2000's when Limb Bizkit and Slipknot were huge, and generally meant the stuff that was popular at the time and was atleast remotely metal (or numetal), and the bands were usually identified as the kids hanging at the mall listened to them. It pretty much has nothing to do with the music itself, it just meant it is a mainstream metalband with possibly some pop-elements like catchy choruses.

Deathcore is easy enough, just death metal with more noise/dissonance, shrieking rather than growling, and awful breakdowns - see Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, (old) Job for a Cowboy, etc.

Mallcore I think of as not really being too core-ish, more like nu-metal remnants and other poppy "goth" shit you'd find at hot topic. That said, Cradle of Filth seems to be embraced by the scum that make up that demographic, but they fucking rule, so there are always exceptions!

Metalcore, eh, to me it's like a simplified, more Americanized Gothenburg melodic-death sound, with the occasional breakdown (Unearth is the big one that comes to mind, older Killswitch, etc.)

Trivium is the kind of band that's changed a lot over their career, and I haven't followed them barely at all so I couldn't say what they are; I guess I'll go with "modern American metal", like Lamb of God (though they allegedly have breakdowns, but I have yet to hear one)

Trivium is the kind of band that's changed a lot over their career, and I haven't followed them barely at all so I couldn't say what they are; I guess I'll go with "modern American metal", like Lamb of God (though they allegedly have breakdowns, but I have yet to hear one)

Modern American Metal sounds about right.
Just sans passion, creativity, honesty or intensity.

Trivium are just a 'metal' band imho. Kinda modern take on older school classic metal really.

'Deathcore' is the worst parts of death metal and hardcore made even worse, ruining two genres I like.

Whereas to me, 'Metalcore' took some of the best parts of metal and hardcore, and was a good sub-genre of metal, until it got watered down and over-popularised, whichwas a shame.

Trivium are just a 'metal' band imho. Kinda modern take on older school classic metal really.

'Deathcore' is the worst parts of death metal and hardcore made even worse, ruining two genres I like.

Whereas to me, 'Metalcore' took some of the best parts of metal and hardcore, and was a good sub-genre of metal, until it got watered down and over-popularised, whichwas a shame.

+100000000

What is it with americans and taking everything good and watering it down until all you are left with is a bland mutated mess that makes 14 year olds go crazy? :p

What is it with americans and taking everything good and watering it down until all you are left with is a bland mutated mess that makes 14 year olds go crazy? :p

It is not just the US guys. Take Thrash Metal in Germany or Black Metal in Norway...
Love Metal in Finland and Melodc Death Metal in Sweden... Opera Metal in Italy :p ladida...

That being said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude, I'm proud of a great many aspects of my country, but you can't even begin to fathom how much I agree with this statement :( Europe FTW! (though there are a few good American bands here and there of course)

I'm old. Can some one asign a genre to TDWP for me? B/c their sales are so amazing I have tried to describe them to people and fail. It is always some jumbled mess with references to brutal death metal and blink182.

I'm old. Can some one asign a genre to TDWP for me? B/c their sales are so amazing I have tried to describe them to people and fail. It is always some jumbled mess with references to brutal death metal and blink182.

The Devil Wears Prada?
Metalcore.
Straight up, bland, watered down, boring metalcore with excellent production. :p