Stoners

A study I found on intelligence and cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/10.11/marijuana.html

" All took batteries of intelligence, attention, learning and memory tests on days 0, 1, 7, and 28 after quitting the drug. (Daily urine samples confirmed whether or not they had stopped.) On days 0, 1 and 7, current heavy smokers scored significantly lower then the other groups on memory tests.

"By day 28, however, there were no significant differences among the groups on any of 10 different tests, and no significant association between cumulative lifetime marijuana use and test scores," Pope says. In other words, the researchers conclude that heavy marijuana use produces no irreversible mental deficits. "

Kind of confirms what i have been saying all along?
Using it every day is not good for you.. but yeah, im not going to stop you or anyone else from doing it. ;X

I'm not going to read through all of this, but I will say one thing, if you drink, even if its just beer, your a drug user.

The best part of all this, is that he, my dad, my brother, most all of my other uncles smoke weed and we all will until were dead, but the best part of smoking weed, is that the worst thing that can happen, I get hungry...

My 2 cents

:lol:

dude, 1 beer is not the same as one joint, bong pack, etc...

Having done some hydro myself I can say without any doubt that it's fucking just as retarded to drive high as it is drunk. What blows my mind is that I have met people that would have no problems cruising and clam baking at the same time. :ill:

All that said, I'm not opposed to the legalization of weed. As long as the government controlled it like any other controlled substance you get at the farmacy (spelled wrong on purpose, crazy fucking forum :lol:).

A study I found on intelligence and cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/10.11/marijuana.html

" All took batteries of intelligence, attention, learning and memory tests on days 0, 1, 7, and 28 after quitting the drug. (Daily urine samples confirmed whether or not they had stopped.) On days 0, 1 and 7, current heavy smokers scored significantly lower then the other groups on memory tests.

"By day 28, however, there were no significant differences among the groups on any of 10 different tests, and no significant association between cumulative lifetime marijuana use and test scores," Pope says. In other words, the researchers conclude that heavy marijuana use produces no irreversible mental deficits. "

That's cool........sounds like all the weed smokers could just stop and get their brains back! What's stopping you?

And yours is based on one that you're somehow worse of as you are.

Never said that, it's a catch 22 situation, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The thing is it's always going to happen anyway, whether you like it or not, you just want to take a piece of personal liberty and dump it at the wayside because it indirectly inconveniences your way of living and expect people to go along with that?

It's never going to happen, so whilst people are still going to be doing it, you might as well government regulate it and tax it, because that elminates crime and they can keep tabs on the junkies, which ultimately might not make your taxes any easier, but it might make you a little safer.

That's cool........sounds like all the weed smokers could just stop and get their brains back! What's stopping you?

Neither of you read the study. It only affects cognition during the withdrawal stage.
The end of the study goes to say that most of the people who smoke weed are low income families, less intelligent, etc.

Neither of you read the study. It only affects cognition during the withdrawal stage.
The end of the study goes to say that most of the people who smoke weed are low income families, less intelligent, etc.

All took batteries of intelligence, attention, learning and memory tests on days ->0<-, 1, 7, and 28 after quitting the drug. (Daily urine samples confirmed whether or not they had stopped.) On days ->0<-, 1 and 7, current heavy smokers scored significantly lower then the other groups on memory tests.

Although researchers found no irreversible cognitive defects from a lifetime of marijuana consumption, pot users are not a happy lot. In a separate study, most heavy users admitted that the drug has a negative impact on all aspects of their lives from job performance and physical health to mental well being and satisfactory socializing.

A number of investigations have linked marijuana to an increased risk of lung cancer. A recent Harvard study concluded that a middle-age person's chance of having a heart attack increases nearly five times during the first hour after smoking pot. That's especially meaningful for baby boomers who developed the habit in their teens and 20s and continue to use the drug in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. Other researchers have associated pot with impaired disease resistance and adverse effects on fetuses when mothers smoke the drug during pregnancy.

Nope, didnt read it.. :rolleyes:

I did read it. The study covers both day 0, so before withdrawal starts as well as later into withdrawal. It shows that heavy weed users do better at intelligence tests if they stop smoking, although it takes about a month for them to fully recover.

Well obviously heart attack chances increase when heart rate increases......... Also marijuana only damages the cillia in the lungs but since it is not radioactive it is not likely to produce cancer. Don't even start the cancer debate because there isn't a single case of someone who acquired cancer from smoking marijuana.

I still do not think that Marijuana affects brain function or cognitive ability purely based on my own observations and this study does show that there is no link to permanent damage. You guys make good points about it being on day 0 as well. I would like to see a study that was more in depth and tested users STILL smoking marijuana.

I love this forum by the way. The only forum you can truly debate something without people calling each other idiots and whatnot.

Having done some hydro myself I can say without any doubt that it's fucking just as retarded to drive high as it is drunk. What blows my mind is that I have met people that would have no problems cruising and clam baking at the same time. :ill:

Haha I agree with this! It should be legalized in much the same way as alcohol. No driving under intoxication.

Don't even start the cancer debate because there isn't a single case of someone who acquired cancer from smoking marijuana.

[quote[I love this forum by the way. The only forum you can truly debate something without people calling each other idiots and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

well i hate to do it, but i'm going to call you an idiot right now for claiming that ganja has never given anyone lung cancer. although it would be exceedingly difficult to either prove or disprove this claim, to flat-out deny that it's ever caused cancer is a pretty stupid thing to say.

OTOH, there was a massive study done a couple years ago that attempted to show that marijuana smoking was more prone to cause cancer than tobacco is...in the end, the results differed greatly from the hypothesis, as it was found that people who smoke large amounts of marijuana but not cigarettes actually had lower instances of lung cancer than people who smoke nothing.

I would like to see a study that was more in depth and tested users STILL smoking marijuana.

there would be no point to such a study. you get a bunch of stoned people, give them IQ tests or whatnot, and then what? you have to have something to compare those scores to, which requires testing them at pre-determined intervals since the last time they smoked.

All that said, I'm not opposed to the legalization of weed. As long as the government controlled it like any other controlled substance you get at the farmacy (spelled wrong on purpose, crazy fucking forum :lol:).

+1
Using a vehicle while high is just fucking stupid.
If someone is gonna do drugs, do it responsibly and do it without the risk of injuring others.
People can debate it all night and long but as far as I'm concerned, you're a complete fuck wit to use a vehicle while under the influence of anything.
Although laws in various countries say you can have x amounts of alcohol in your system and still legally drive, I'd rather be living in a world where you are not allowed to be intoxicated at all while driving.

there would be no point to such a study. you get a bunch of stoned people, give them IQ tests or whatnot, and then what? you have to have something to compare those scores to, which requires testing them at pre-determined intervals since the last time they smoked.[/QUOTE]

No. Noone would be stoned at the time of the testing. They would just be active Marijuana smokers. The study I linked to studies the effects after quitting. I want to see a study that tests DURING usage. Not afterwards.

If i quit coffee after drinking coffee for years I would have withdrawals and probably score lower on intelligence tests.

I have a confession to make, during that discussion with Jeff on the last page I was so baked that I could barely have tied my own shoelaces or found my own face.

Again - would you apply the same logic to coke, heroin, and meth?

The counter argument is going to be that "those are drugs that most (if not all) can't handle, weed is something that only some can't handle," which I also disagree with based on my personal experiences. Productive potheads are the exception, not the norm.

I have to say that I can't compare those with weed because I am biased towards weed. I can't lump them together. maybe it's the whole being grown from the earth thing...not having to process it or add any other chemical. I can't say that if meth was grown from the earth I would support being legal because it's not an issue.

Öwen;9107216 said:
I have a confession to make, during that discussion with Jeff on the last page I was so baked that I could barely have tied my own shoelaces or found my own face.

I was up for 30 hours yesterday, and I smoked like 9 bong bowls of this stuff that gets you RIPPED in one hit :lol:

I'm high right now off of aforementioned (CRAZY) green

They would just be active Marijuana smokers. The study I linked to studies the effects after quitting. I want to see a study that tests DURING usage. Not afterwards.

again...what would be the point of that?? in order to study the effects of a substance on a subject, you need to measure the subject either before and/or after the substance is introduced. like i said before, if you did a bunch of tests on a bunch of smokers, all you get are some test results for some smokers. WITHOUT DATA FROM THE SAME PEOPLE WHEN NOT UNDER THE INFLUENCE, NO CONCLUSIONS CAN BE DRAWN.

the study you referenced set out not to measure the effects of marijuana after quitting, it set out to measure the effects of marijuana on cognitive processes, which can only be determined by testing people when they're actively smoking, and then again after they've stopped for a prolonged period an no THC is present in their blood.