Something that has always bothered me !!

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
Lindgren is the most unknown person in the band music wise . And exatly what do I meen by this ? , When Lopez plays you can hear it , when mendez plays you can hear it (and sometime's feel it , depending on the volume) , when Akerfeldt sings you can hear it and when he plays at least you know that he has written it . But.......When Lindgren plays , how do we know that this isn't just Mikael Akerfeldt playing all the guitar parts (I don't think this is true) but I can't say that Peter Lindgren is a great plus to Opeth because I do not know his playing style , And I don't know what he writes like , he has only written some of the riffs on orchird and morningrise , if I recall .

I remember a friend once told me "When Lindgren played , I actually felt bad for him" ,

"why?" I asked
"he screwed up majorly on some of the solos" replied my friend .

My friend also said that Akerfeldt plays some of the hardest parts while singing .

This tells me that Lindgren is not the greatest guitarist . But you know if Akefeldt keeps him around he has to be good .

Exactly, if Pete wasn't competent, Mike would have dumped him a long time ago and the Opeth guitar seat would probably turn out to be a revolving door like Ozzy's guitar spot... (that'd be funny.)

It's clear that Mike and Pete have stuck together because they appreciate eachother's ideas and licks. Pete can see how and why Mike writes the riffs he does, and can compliment them pretty good with a smile instead of saying "That's a load of [Swedish word for Bullshit]!!!" They've got a bond going on, I mean, they did form the band together.

There is a subtle difference in the way Mike and Pete solo, for instance. Mike is a more Dave Gilmour-styled soloist where he makes notes stand out in the spotlight, but he can still do fast interval-jumps and stuff like that. Pete likes to throw alot of curve-balls at the listener with wierd harmonies and out-of-place arpeggios, but he's not atonal or anything like that. Pete's a bit more technical. They make for an extremely cool guitar team. Seeing them live really helps you appreciate this.

I noticed these 'differences' in their playing when I tabbed out 'In The Mist She Was Standing', which you can find here at Opeth's Domain's tablature section.

Well I wouldn't say he is a bad guitarist by any means 'cause comparing his ability to Akerfeldt really isn't fair. He is fucking great on the guitar. When I saw Opeth play Mike did play most of the more difficult parts even while singing, but I don' think it's cause Peter is a weak guitarist. You could hear him when he played I know that though. I just think he hasn't written a lot of the material and maybe he feels more comfortable letting Mike handle more of the more difficult parts. It's hard to tell really. Either way, I think they are both great guitarists.

Originally posted by warsofwinter
When Lindgren plays , how do we know that this isn't just Mikael Akerfeldt playing all the guitar parts (I don't think this is true) but I can't say that Peter Lindgren is a great plus to Opeth

Take Orchid and listen to it in stereo on head/ear phones. I know Mikael is a great guitarist, but he's not good enough to play these dueling guitar rhythms by himself. Peter plays a BIG part.

Originally posted by Silhouette
Take Orchid and listen to it in stereo on head/ear phones. I know Mikael is a great guitarist, but he's not good enough to play these dueling guitar rhythms by himself. Peter plays a BIG part.

Exactly, Orchid or Morningrise.
Besides, even if in some cases it was possible to play the dual guitars with one guitar, it would sound much more worse than playing them with two guitars, even though they play only on one string, mostly.

[color=sky blue]He's got ya there even though I can't stand it when others nit-pick facts as such. No, they didn't originally start the band, but Mike and Pete didn't give up after Anders left as they could have. "O'well, fuck it. It's just the two of us. This isn't going to work. Guess it's over." I'd say Mike and Pete restarted the band.

Or something along those lines... ;)
[/color]

That's strange I"ve read that akerfeltd and company did start the band, though originally, would you believe, they actaully had someone else on vocals!!! o_O -- why aren't the faces working? :(

Originally posted by Orchid

Exactly, Orchid or Morningrise.
Besides, even if in some cases it was possible to play the dual guitars with one guitar, it would sound much more worse than playing them with two guitars, even though they play only on one string, mostly.

Both of you didn't get my point , I know that both of them are playing them (maybe) but who plays which one , we don't know what peter sounds like when he plays

Originally posted by warsofwinter
I know that both of them are playing them (maybe) but who plays which one , we don't know what peter sounds like when he plays

But does that really matter? I mean, most of the dual guitar parts are both well written and well played. I think both of them have to be great guitarists and assests to the band

I can tell you from my experience seeing Opeth live that in general, Mike plays the lead part and Pete plays the more rhythmic part. Mike's part is usually the one that is the highest pitched. Mike's part is usually the part that stands out the most in the mix. Also, in some songs Peter would play the acoustic rhythm part while Mike played the often distorted lead part over it. Forest of October and Advent come to mind. In my opinion, both parts are equally important. Mike and Peter are both excellent guitarists. What's more important than how difficult each part is to play is the combination of both parts to create one(the composition). This is where Opeth excels. I would also agree with an earlier post, that Peter's solos usually were the more technical, shred-esque, while Mike's were more heart-felt.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn