still life re mixed

There are special downmix algorithms designed to mix down to stereo with as little loss due to phase cancellation as possible, along with keeping dry sound/ambiance ratios in check.

I'm personally not thrilled by the 5.1 format. It takes too much effort to implement correctly. Most of the people I know don't even know how to optimally position a stereo speaker system.. god forbid you give them 5 speakers and a subwoofer. The album will never be heard like the mixer intended it to, mainly due to consumer ignorance... and that's fine, the format itself is too cumbersome.

perhaps if they explain how to do it, and make an effort of explaining it so the "consumer" can understand it, the "consumer" might not be that ignorant ...
I know nothing about the technical side of sound systems, but I still want to experience good quality. for this I have to trust on people who do know ... but every time I ask someone who knows, they start rambling on about stuff I don't know and using all these terminology I don't know, and acting as if it's a special club of people who do know it and no one else is allowed and people who don't know it are just stupid (or ignorant).
and yeah, I could learn about it, but hey, I don't have time to do that! I'm busy enough with my own studies and career as it is, so it would be nice to sometimes get a normal, understandable explanation on what to do. perhaps some of you can write it and earn some money by releasing a book to guide every sound system sold.
thank you.

perhaps if they explain how to do it, and make an effort of explaining it so the "consumer" can understand it, the "consumer" might not be that ignorant ...
I know nothing about the technical side of sound systems, but I still want to experience good quality. for this I have to trust on people who do know ... but every time I ask someone who knows, they start rambling on about stuff I don't know and using all these terminology I don't know, and acting as if it's a special club of people who do know it and no one else is allowed and people who don't know it are just stupid (or ignorant).
and yeah, I could learn about it, but hey, I don't have time to do that! I'm busy enough with my own studies and career as it is, so it would be nice to sometimes get a normal, understandable explanation on what to do. perhaps some of you can write it and earn some money by releasing a book to guide every sound system sold.
thank you.

The software you get with current PC soundcards usually attempts to guide you through a surround sound set-up... even in your average non-ideal environment, where some speakers are further than others, on different angles to each other etc.

I don't have experience with purchasing any surround sound systems, but I'd imagine them to come with a manual explaining what angles and distances you should be striving for.

I simply don't like the format for its inconvenience. It's hard enough to treat a room to sound good with just stereo speakers. Bringing surround into it just involves a whole new world of problems. I still recall expanding one of my live band stereo mixes to 5.1. I could move my head an inch sideways and the overall mix would sound drastically different... how am I to approximate how it will sound on the average home PC surround system, with one surround speaker on a bed, and the other on a desk on the other side of the room? I think it's a format that takes too much control away from the people who need to have it. Phil Spector felt the same way about stereo when they made the jump from mono. Whilst it's not as drastic a scenario as surround sound, he did still make the point that it was taking control away from the producer/engineer.

Or you could go out and buy an Acura TL which comes standard with 5.1. One reviewer said that the sound system would be over $5000 after-market and that for it to sound better you would have to grow new ears.

how am I to approximate how it will sound on the average home PC surround system
I agree that this can cause problems for those who's systems are setup poorly, I think the main thing to remember though, is that most people paying attention to a surround mix are those who care enough to buy a decent system and get it set up properly. I don't think too many average surround owners are listening to In Absentia's DVD audio mix.

Or you could go out and buy an Acura TL which comes standard with 5.1. One reviewer said that the sound system would be over $5000 after-market and that for it to sound better you would have to grow new ears.
I'll never understand expensive car audio, I mean if I'm going to spend money on a sound system, I'd much rather put it somewhere I can actually hear it, unless of course "The Baying Of The Hounds" is supposed to have the sound of a semi truck roaring past in it.

aren't we getting a bit too dramatic? ... there is a good reason that surround systems are so succesful and that bands make use of this technology. I've listened to some of my dvd's with a friend (cause he has such a system) and immediately I could hear so much more than I heared at my place. this might still sound like crap to someone who has developed a really good ear for it over many years, but for most people it sounds amazing.
I'm wondering if you guys who know so much about it, can still enjoy a recording??

friend of mine actually has a new TL, and it sounds nowhere near what I have in my car.

theres no way that would be $5000 after market..

I have 1800w rms with 4 channel full range speakers and 2 500w rms 10" woofers.

the sound isnt close to as rich as mine.

and I only dropped $2400 into mine.

aren't we getting a bit too dramatic? ... there is a good reason that surround systems are so succesful and that bands make use of this technology. I've listened to some of my dvd's with a friend (cause he has such a system) and immediately I could hear so much more than I heared at my place. this might still sound like crap to someone who has developed a really good ear for it over many years, but for most people it sounds amazing.
I'm wondering if you guys who know so much about it, can still enjoy a recording??

I just don't see why they had to mix it in 5.1.. its more of icing on the cake.. and most people don't have 5.1, not to mention its hard to implement correctly.

I don't see why they would gamble and mix it into 5.1 instead of fixing the mix flaws in stereo.

I'm just worried that its not going to sound that great without a 5.1 system.

I just don't see why they had to mix it in 5.1.. its more of icing on the cake.. and most people don't have 5.1, not to mention its hard to implement correctly.

I don't see why they would gamble and mix it into 5.1 instead of fixing the mix flaws in stereo.

I'm just worried that its not going to sound that great without a 5.2 system.
I would be quite surprised if they released it on 5.1 only, their market would probably be like 34 guys :erk:, I guess a dual disc release.

I'll never understand expensive car audio, I mean if I'm going to spend money on a sound system, I'd much rather put it somewhere I can actually hear it, unless of course "The Baying Of The Hounds" is supposed to have the sound of a semi truck roaring past in it.

The whole point is that you don't hear the semi truck.

you mix spl with sql.

you get loud, crisp, clean audio with round mids, deep lows and clean highs.

I would be quite surprised if they released it on 5.1 only, their market would probably be like 34 guys :erk:, I guess a dual disc release.

well thats what I'm hoping, and that they put an equal amount of effort into the stereo mix.

The whole point is that you don't hear the semi truck.

you mix spl with sql.

you get loud, crisp, clean audio with round mids, deep lows and clean highs.
Yeah, but then your talking about cranking the volume up until your nearly deaf, that in no way sounds good, and its horrible for your ears, so anyway, IMHO, all car audio = fail.

I don't really get the car audio thing either. It kinda makes sense if you spend a lot of time on the road, and hence a lot of time listening in the car, but it still isn't exactly the optimal environment to set up a good system. It's a bit wasted. Seems to be all the rage these days though.

Regardless of the outcome of this remixed album, I think it is great a company is taking interest in releasing Opeth material. I really hope for a flat transfer from the masters to something like 24/96 stereo, but I will take whatever I can get. Surround is a bonus. One can never have enough Opeth.

I don't really get the car audio thing either. It kinda makes sense if you spend a lot of time on the road, and hence a lot of time listening in the car, but it still isn't exactly the optimal environment to set up a good system. It's a bit wasted. Seems to be all the rage these days though.

Well, I'll just explain this.

I have a friend who is by no means a metalhead, and hes usually turned off by harder stuff.

He listened to ghost reveries in my car, and he started freaking out because it sounded so good, he was totally digging it..

If someone listens to music in your car, and they wouldn't normally like it, but the fact that it sounds so good they actually enjoy it, I think its worth it ;p

I'm an audiophile, I can't stand stuff that doesn't sound good, I don't go cheap when it comes to sound quality.

Ghost Reveries 5.1 sounds good even on a 2 speaker system. I'm sure Still Life will be the same.

I dont have 5.1 in my room, so sometimes I have to settle for that. My fuckin parents hog the living room too much.

A good car audio setup makes sense to me. I spend a LOT of time driving, and generally when I am home it's too late to listen to music without headphones at optimal volume. So I use my HD650s. I mean, I occasionally listen to music on my studio (genelec and krk) monitors, but more often it's just the project I'm working on.