SymphonyX and Kamelot, The Best of Metal

You can't really say a band is definately better than another. It's all to do with personal preference. I admit I much prefer SyX to Dream Theatre but I haven't heard Kamelot yet.

Kamelot isn't very interesting and I too have talked to many people about this.

Have you ever heard of Nevermore,Pain of Salvation, Pychotic Waltz and Opeth?

Yes, pain of salvation is damn good, as well as ayreon and liquid tension experiment.

I've heard a few others and it's nothing impressive...opeth sticks out as being pretty bad.

you like Liquid Tension Experiment but not Dream Theater...hmmm thats strange considering one is composed of 60% of the lineup of the other...DT incorporate a lot of LTE in their tunes and especially in their live performances.

Originally posted by Hwangman

I've heard a few others and it's nothing impressive...opeth sticks out as being pretty bad.

This doesn't surprise me because people seem to get hung up on the growling vocal style.

Has anyone heard Archetype? They are a progressive metal band with a singer who stays in the mid-range and a drummer who doesn't over use the double bass which is the biggest problem that I have with the Kamelot that I've heard.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
Kamelot isn't very interesting and I too have talked to many people about this.

Have you ever heard of Nevermore,Pain of Salvation, Pychotic Waltz and Opeth?

Kamelot are pretty much underrated, yet they have pretty deep fans. And they might appear to you as "isn't very interesting".
It's all a matter of personal taste. ;)

I don't like POS, just because: they depress me one heck of a lot. So, they aren't very interesting (for me) ;)

Psychotic Waltz: WOW! They are great!

Nevermore are cool too.

Opeth. Sorry, didn't give them a spin yet.

My two cents.

Originally posted by Fee
you like Liquid Tension Experiment but not Dream Theater...hmmm thats strange considering one is composed of 60% of the lineup of the other...DT incorporate a lot of LTE in their tunes and especially in their live performances.

I realize that mike, john, and jordan are in both bands, but in my opinion, LTE is a much better project for them to be involved in. Perhaps it was the freedom and "anything goes" atmosphere of the LTE sessions, but both LTE albums are incredible, while i can't stand listening to DT. The main reason for this is labrie's vocals; horrible. However, i think that portnoy's playing is much more textured and mature in LTE, and the songs just seem a lot stronger on the LTE albums.

Has anyone heard Archetype? They are a progressive metal band with a singer who stays in the mid-range and a drummer who doesn't over use the double bass which is the biggest problem that I have with the Kamelot that I've heard.

I've heard 'em. Sound like Iced Earth Jr. to me. Not very progressive.

Originally posted by Skull_Punk

I've heard 'em. Sound like Iced Earth Jr. to me. Not very progressive.

The singer sounds like Iced Earth at times but I wouldn't call them juniors to this band because of it.

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow

Kamelot are pretty much underrated, yet they have pretty deep fans. And they might appear to you as "isn't very interesting".
It's all a matter of personal taste. ;)
My two cents.

I agree that it's a matter of personal taste and I'm confused as to why you felt the need to say this?:confused:

I'm probable a generation older then most out here and I never heard the term "pretty deep fans" before and I was hoping that you could enlighten me to it's meaning?:confused:

Thanks......

The singer sounds like Iced Earth at times but I wouldn't call them juniors to this band because of it.

Just the singer? There were times the whole band had the sound dead on. It'd prolly be cooler if I liked Iced Earth more.

Kamelot rules!! They were awesome at PPUSA last year, Khan is one of the best vocalists out there along with Russell and many others in my opinion. Check out the video http://www.progpower.com/pp_usa/media/thespell.rm

Symphony X is my favorite band but I am open to all kinds of music and bands. Can't say I like Blind Gaurdian much or Rhapsody. PoS is a great band they ruled PPUSA 1 along with Symphony X.

Evergrey rules also
Nevermore rules
Opeth rules
Dream Theater rules

Point is that they all are great at what they do, if you don't like them then so be it, but you can't deny the talent in any of them

Bear

Originally posted by Bear
Kamelot rules!! They were awesome at PPUSA last year, Khan is one of the best vocalists out there along with Russell and many others in my opinion. Check out the video http://www.progpower.com/pp_usa/media/thespell.rm

Symphony X is my favorite band but I am open to all kinds of music and bands. Can't say I like Blind Gaurdian much or Rhapsody. PoS is a great band they ruled PPUSA 1 along with Symphony X.

Evergrey rules also
Nevermore rules
Opeth rules
Dream Theater rules

Point is that they all are great at what they do, if you don't like them then so be it, but you can't deny the talent in any of them

Bear

Wow. I agree with everything you said in this thread.

Kamelot really are a stunningly good band. They have everything; great keys, shreddy guitar, soaring vocals and a tight, fast rhythm section.

I wouldn't say they were prog but the level of musicianship is extremely high and there is that cool 5/4 verse section in "Karma"