That "Clayman" sound....

I used a Maxon OD808.
I also remembered something Andy mentioned in the Noise 101 Wiki about getting the guitarists to "pick closer to the bridge." So, I tried that and it certainly made a difference.
But I still can't get over just how little EQ was needed.... that & I finally got an ENGL cab. They're next to impossible to find in Canada... I had to go over to Michigan to get this one & I got damn lucky. It was used in a "near mint" condition.

Sounds good Glenn!! need to re experiment with the fredman micing technique, ive done it various times before and failed miserably!!

i still struggle at wether to put the on axis mic dead centre or use my norla off centre technique, which have you used here?

Well, finally got my ENGL cab, & here's my take on the Fredman technique....

CLIP HERE

Bear in mind I spent absolutely no time at all on the drums, they're merely a placeholder "slate kontakt preset."

What I really like is there is nearly zero eq on this tone. Just a hi & lopass, and a little mulitband in the mud zone.... other than that, it's all amp.

Increased Happyness.

hey guys,

i'm trying to get into the fredman technique, but i still have one question...

basically, what's the proper way to start this setup? would you go and position the on axis 57 as you would with single micing, i.e. would you try and get the best sound from that mic alone.....then add the second mic, do the phase white noise thing, and when it's in phase just set levels between the two (blending the off axis in to get rid of some fuzz) and hit record?
OR do you just place the on axis mic pretty much straight on the dustcap, capturing all the fizz - which will be cancelled out through that second off axis mic anyways??

the thing is, when i try to set it up the first way, meaning i'll go and get the best sound from the first mic alone, it'll usually not be *that* bright/fizzy anyways, so when the second mic comes in it'll quickly start to get too dull.

btw, how do you guys *usually* set the levels between the two mics? is the off axis mic just a tad lower than the on axis one, or is it barely blended in? just as a guideline :)

thanks!

Ok just spent 3 and a half hours reading the entire thread.

i think I am going to give this a shot this weekend (not the clayman sound, but just the mic technique) and see how this workson some low end tube amps (i.e. Valveking, Kustom) and some Solid State jobbies and see if it helps them up any, if at all.

Im just doing it so that people on a budget can see their options.

I've been reading the whole thread... and I must say DAMN!!! got some good stuff in here!! :)
I can't wait to try it my self!!!

Cheers from Israel!

Well, finally got my ENGL cab, & here's my take on the Fredman technique....

CLIP HERE

4792_124618476080_640581080_3207997_6858929_n.jpg

Bear in mind I spent absolutely no time at all on the drums, they're merely a placeholder "slate kontakt preset."

What I really like is there is nearly zero eq on this tone. Just a hi & lopass, and a little mulitband in the mud zone.... other than that, it's all amp.

holy crap that sounded awesome :headbang:

how do you set your 808?

Just noticed in some reading that EVH apparently also used this mic technique on guitars- now I'm all the more hot to try it. Just need to get another 57 and a mic-mount which will hold both mics :)

When I do get to do it, first thing I'm gonna do is write a Logic utility plugin for combining the mics in a convenient way...

http://www.jinxtigr.com/f/GolemDemo.dmg

I promised a plug, and this is gonna be it- you guys are seeing it before anybody else. Any Logic users interested in letting me know if this would make your workflow easier with Clayman miking?

Bear in mind that this does ALMOST nothing you can't do with two channels panned to the same place- it's only gonna be like $30 and it's only a utility plugin. It's the demo you're trying out- which means it mutes periodically, nothing more (and you're not supposed to do real work with the demos)

I had some theories on what would make a really useful plug for this, and I think they're working out. It expects that you've recorded your Clayman mics to one stereo track or can make a stereo track out of 'em.

First there's a simple balance control that fades between the two sides (the output of the plugin is dual-mono so you can just use the panpot to place the result or leave it in the middle)

Then, offset. Now this is supposed to be a nightmare but I think that is just implementation, plus you HAVE to have subsample delay to get useful results. I made an offset slider which is heavily heavily biased towards almost no delay at all- way over to the sides you start getting real phasey, but most of the travel of the thing is within usable ranges, and since it's subsample delay you can get more subtle effects. When you move the slider to a side, the opposite mic gets delayed, so if your bright mic is on one side then moving the offset in that direction will ALSO lean things in that direction- in other words the offset acts the same way the balance control does.

Lastly, there's a phase switch, and here's why: flipping phase on one of the mics gives you lots of cancellation, but it can help you tune in the offset. If the phase is flipped, you're looking for settings that sound BAD, and stuff that you DON'T want. You could go looking for rattiness, or cabinet honk, or whatever- probably not way into the phasey zone but just within that center area. You find something bad in the sound and tune it in, then flip the phase back to 'reinforcement' (in phase) and it should be pretty killer.

If you are tuning the offset in phase it's tempting to seek out cool overtones, but tuning it in cancellation is interesting because the end result seems like it has better personality... and again, probably good to not get too phasey with the settings, the center area is always really close to no offset at all.

Thoughts? I can probably get the real version out mid or late next week if this is a go.

Nice tone, Oz.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you normally find your 'on-axis' mic ends up in relation to the speaker? Whenever I've tried absolutely direct on with the cone, toucing the grille it's sounded really sizzly and harsh. Haven't had much of a chance to experiment with the V mic'ing since, as I tend to default on one mic per top speaker on the cab, and try to get the best qualities out of both to balance each other out.

Did anyone ever actually confirm that this was the Engl Pro V30 cab and not the Engl Standard cab with the different speakers? just wondering, because I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Fredman prefers the Engl Standard cab over the Engl Pro V30 cab...

I did end up doing that plugin- called it 'Golem' inspired by this thread :heh:

Golem.jpg

http://www.airwindows.com/golem.html

But I also updated one of the freebies so if you work at it you can have the same functionality as Golem- it's meant as a convenience, not to hold hostage useful stuff. I added a subsample delay slider to my Sample Delay which is free-

http://www.jinxtigr.com/f/SampleDelay.dmg

It's not the same as it would be less convenient to work with, and it throws a LOT of latency because it does negative delay as well as positive. But it will do the same subsample delay thing that's built into Golem :)