The "are these guys any good?" thread

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
- Meads of Asphodel
- Skyforger

In particular, I'm interested in Skyforger's Zobena Dziesma since it's completely acoustic, and ' Asphodel's Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua.

I'm also perfectly happy to try out Skyforger's Thunderforge if anyone has any further thoughts.

[X] Skyforger

I've only heard one track from their previous album "Latvian Riflemen" and it was pretty great epic pagan metal with semi-clean (rough but not growled) vocals. The album also has a very interesting concept, with the album being entirely dedicated to, well, battalions of Lativan riflemen during World War I, and with each song describing a particular battle. The one I heard was "Kauja pie Plakaniem, Kauja pie Veisiem" which means something like "battle of plakani, battle of veisi" I believe.

I don't know either of those bands, but I have two I'd like to know about. :p

Anekdoten
Anglagard

I always see these two associated, and have read comparisons to King Crimson, so obviously I'm intrigued.

He doesn't. I don't believe Meads of Asphodel are any good though I have nothing to back that up... Anyway, as far as the Mayhem side goes, this split was only a cash-in re-release of the two studio tracks with Dead "Freezing Moon" and "Carnage" from the "A Projection of a Stained Mind" comp.

Meads of Asphodel are OK, nothing that special. Kind of a less bombastic, much more black metal, very serious Bal Sagoth.

Anyone heard the album from Nydvind? They have two sample on their website (www.nydvind.com) that piqued my interest. Erik, you might find these interesting. Kinda Ulver-ish, Primordial-ish and Negura-ish.

another one I keep wondering about is Helheim. Any good? Because I see one of their CDs in a local store and almost always pick it up.

Jormundgand is AMAZING. What an awesome album. One of the best purchases I've made this year.

This is the one I've seen in stores:

yersinia-largefront.jpg

Here's one: THORNS.

Never heard them to be honest, and I'd like to at least get Thorns vs Emperor just to be an Emperor completist (if it's worth it).

And while we're at it, how about the Enslaved split for Hordanes Land?

I imagine both are HTF.

"Jormundgand" and "Av Norrøn Ætt" are supreme works of art, the latest two are OK, but let's just say "Yersinia Pestis" probably ain't gonna make my top 10 list.

JayKeeley said:
Here's one: THORNS.

Never heard them to be honest, and I'd like to at least get Thorns vs Emperor just to be an Emperor completist (if it's worth it).

And while we're at it, how about the Enslaved split for Hordanes Land?

I imagine both are HTF.
The Enslaved/Emperor split is most excellent and a must-have. The Enslaved material ain't quite as good as "Vikingligr Veldi," but almost.

Thorns. Well, I have the limited version of Thorns vs. Emperor only for the bonus disc with the legendary Trondertun and Grymyrk reh. tapes. Now one of them (I forget which is which) is EXTREMELY difficult to listen to as it contains exactly one guitar and one bass track. No vocals, no drums, no nothing. It is, however, evident that Thorns were innovators in Norwegian BM and that Euronymous, for example, most certainly listened to this before writing "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas." The other tape contains only two tracks which are great, especially the song "Ærie Descent" which is arguably Thorns' best song and one that they've milked a lot considering there are two other versions on the first disc: one a decent cover by Emperor, the other a raped version by Thorns. As the 2-CD version is OOP, my answer to the question if it's worth getting is NO. There's a lot of fucking around in the studio with synths and stuff and little good music on disc 1. The decent parts are Emperor's orchestral remake of "Thus Spake the Nightspirit" (similar to "Opus a Satana") and Emperor's cover of "Ærie Descent" (though the original beats it.)

Dreamlord: Will check out Nydvind.

"NYDVIND play Nordic Heathen Metal in praise of Mother Nature"

Now that's all well and good...

...BUT THEY'RE FRENCH!?

Hope the music's better than the concept...

Erik said:
The decent parts are Emperor's orchestral remake of "Thus Spake the Nightspirit" (similar to "Opus a Satana") and Emperor's cover of "Ærie Descent" (though the original beats it.)
Where is the original "Ærie Descent" found though? Only on that rare demo tape you have? Damn - any chance you can make me an MP3 of the original?

NAD said:
I don't know either of those bands, but I have two I'd like to know about. :p

Anekdoten
Anglagard

I always see these two associated, and have read comparisons to King Crimson, so obviously I'm intrigued.
Anekdoten is very similar to Wetton-era Crimson at times to the point where clone accusations are used...like that's a bad thing. :) I wouldn't call them derivative, especially on their most recent release. Anglagard is more wandering and folksy, and predominantly instrumental.

BWD: For Rapture, I could rewrite the first sentence by substituting their name and "BMD-era Katatonia". And again, the most recent album shows signs of grwoing beyond the obvious influences.