the Attonement/Reverie thingy

Seance

Still Writes in Crayon
Feb 20, 2003
US
Visit site
shouldn't it be labeled as such? assuming the end of Atonement is really Reverie, is it another mastering/production/whatever screw up like it was with Requiem and The Apostle in Triumph?

wankerness said:
It's called buy the fucking album instead of downloading it and you'll see there is no mistake with anything besides mp3 ripping programs.

I have the fucking album, winamp reads it the same even when I have the actual CD in the computer, but I wouldn't be arsed to swap out hundreds of CDs per day when I want to listen to something even if it did fix the problem

House of Seance said:
I have the fucking album, winamp reads it the same even when I have the actual CD in the computer, but I wouldn't be arsed to swap out hundreds of CDs per day when I want to listen to something

Well, computer drives are incapable of reading negative time correctly as far as I know, for some reason I can't figure. Regardless, you'd know if you ever played it in a real cd player that reverie is actually negative time on the beginning of reverie/harlequin forest.

wankerness said:
Well, computer drives are incapable of reading negative time correctly as far as I know, for some reason I can't figure. Regardless, you'd know if you ever played it in a real cd player that reverie is actually negative time on the beginning of reverie/harlequin forest.
yup

wankerness said:

damn, well I've played it in an actual CD player before but never payed attention to this issue... I suppose I'll try to find some other means of somewhat fixing it... thanks

the Reverie intro adds so much to the song for me for some reason, it's a shame I was unaware of this issue for so long... I still wonder if it's actually an issue or if it was done on purpose... I don't know why that track would have negative time when no other CD I've put on my computer has any issue like that... maybe Mike might respond and let us know, wishful thinking at least

i seriously doubt its a mastering problem...its just something interesting...considering you can play the outro of atonemnet completely separate or you can let it fade into reverie/harlequin forest...

House of Seance said:
I don't know why that track would have negative time when no other CD I've put on my computer has any issue like that... maybe Mike might respond and let us know, wishful thinking at least

I agree to your questions!

But...
...the answer to one question ("is it an intro or an interlude?") can at least partly be found on Opeth.com!

Click on "Discography"/"Ghost Reveries";
The durations of all tracks are listed!

Compare your mp3-file durations with this...
4. Atonement (5.20)
5. Reverie/Harlequin forest (12.39)

It doesn't take much brain power to see that:
(1) Reverie is the intro.
(2). Reverie IS the small one minute part at the end of your mp3-file of Atonement...

House of Seance said:
the Reverie intro adds so much to the song for me for some reason, it's a shame I was unaware of this issue for so long... I still wonder if it's actually an issue or if it was done on purpose... I don't know why that track would have negative time when no other CD I've put on my computer has any issue like that... maybe Mike might respond and let us know, wishful thinking at least
you made this thread only for Mikael to answer to it, didn't you?

and @RiffBoy, thank ya for that info, i always tried to figured why that harlequin forest intro was 'in' atonement instead of harlequin forest. cool.

Raistlin Majere said:
you made this thread only for Mikael to answer to it, didn't you?

lol no, I got the information I needed... I was only wondering if it was intentional now, and nobody would know that besides the band, but I'm not like losing sleep over this or anything ;P

Tubbs Mcgee said:
People don't realize that there are many albums out that have negative time, some to hide some tracks in the albums here and there, and some only a few seconds long to split two tracks.

Yeah, it's not that uncommon, and always works the same way with rippers/computer players (sticking it to the end of the previous track). Unfortunately I am having a hard time remembering any other cds that have sound in the negative time besides LIMP BIZKIT - SIGNIFICANT OTHER :)erk::erk::erk::erk:). Once in a while a band will put a secret track in the negative time on track 1, though, in which case it WILL NOT be ripped and can only be heard by rewinding the cd in a real player.

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernal is like this.

MOST cds, though, will have negative time counting down before tracks that aren't supposed to segue into one another. That's why most mp3s have 2 seconds of silence at the end of them that make you go wtf.

Moonlapse said:
That's awesome. Have people considered putting their entire album in negative time prior to track 1 then?

er, what kind of outcome are you trying to get at with that? so it counts backwards in cd players and looks nifty, or so it makes legitly listening to cd's or ripped music files on your computer all screwy?

I guess track 1 would would be track 1... track 2 would be the last track, track 3 would be the second to last track, and so forth, it would still be able to be figured out I think, lol I dunno, it's confusing me now

I've noticed negative time while watching the song time in an actual CD player before... but I don't have any 2 seconds of silence on the end of my mp3 files on my computer, well, that I notice anyway, I guess if it's only on songs that aren't supposed to connect to each other anyway I wouldn't notice... and I've never ran into any other situation where part of an actual song is in negative time, but looks like wankerness came up with another example... interesting stuff

My stereo doesn't play negative seconds, so I don't even get to hear reverie at all.