the Attonement/Reverie thingy

NineFeetUnderground said:
hmm, well i dont know about all that. i just know a lot of people bitch about the bonus tracks AT THE END OF THE ALBUM somehow "ruining" the album overall. just fucking push stop on the stereo, i dont know what the hell is wrong with people. but additional tracks can NEVER be a bad thing in my eyes...and i dont even own the versions with the bonus tracks. :erk:

People do make too big a deal about the bonus tracks, but I still don't think they're a good thing. Sometimes I just lie down in the dark and close my eyes and completely absorb an album (I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this), and when it's over, I like to keep lying there and take in the silence after the end, without having to press the stop button or anything. Still, it's a pretty minor annoyance.

I can understand the arguments against the bonus tracks, and to a large extent agree. They do not sound good. They are out of place. They serve no purpose at all. But let's keep this in proportion - having to raise the remote and press stop does not destroy the previous 60 odd minutes of listening enjoyment. Call it a hassle or whatever other word makes you feel happy inside (hopefully not outside), but as far as inconveniences go, this one ranks on the 'minor' to 'are you fucking kidding me?'

It would be better without the bonus tracks. But that doesn't mean bonus track editions are suddenly the worst thing ever to happen.

Ganza said:
Ok, is there anyone that can clarify this "negative time" issue for me?
What does one have to do exactly to listen to the "hidden" song?

It is very easy!
1 Buy the cd.
2 Play track 4.
3 Look at the time indicator, on your cd player, a little bit after 5 minutes into the track.

There you'll see the mystery and the magic before your own eyes!

:)

well I tried the CD out last night in my CD player and found that I STILL couldn't put it on track 5 and hear the negative time intro, and still had to hear it as the end of track 4 or seek backwards from 5, but it was indeed showing up as negative time... just sucks that it didn't fix the problem, it's still at the end of track 4 and not apart of Harlequin Forest..... I guess I was still confused about how it worked and was under the impression that I'd actually hear Reverie/Harlequin Forest if I put it on track 5 in my CD player

that was quite a redundant sounding post

House of Seance said:
well I tried the CD out last night in my CD player and found that I STILL couldn't put it on track 5 and hear the negative time intro, and still had to hear it as the end of track 4 or seek backwards from 5, but it was indeed showing up as negative time... just sucks that it didn't fix the problem, it's still at the end of track 4 and not apart of Harlequin Forest..... I guess I was still confused about how it worked and was under the impression that I'd actually hear Reverie/Harlequin Forest if I put it on track 5 in my CD player

that was quite a redundant sounding post

That's how it works on all cd players, otherwise when you skipped to tracks on basically every cd ever you'd have to wait for 2 seconds while it counted up to 0 before the sound started. That's why the track 1 secret thing on the arcturus is so amusing.

wankerness said:
That's how it works on all cd players, otherwise when you skipped to tracks on basically every cd ever you'd have to wait for 2 seconds while it counted up to 0 before the sound started. That's why the track 1 secret thing on the arcturus is so amusing.

appreciate the information

used Audacity to cut off the end of Atonement on my .ogg and put it on the beginning of Harlequin Forest... good stuff

wankerness said:
Not that I know of, I think since burners work entirely differently from cd-pressing machines it might just be impossible, but there might be a program out there for such purposes.

And moonlapse - yeah, that would be one way to combat piracy (putting the entire album as negative time before track 1), but it would sure annoy the shit out of everyone cause you'd have to rewind through the entire album first and only have it as one track :)

I think it would only work if hardly anyone did it. When all's said and done a CD is totally unprotected binary data and it would not be hard to write a program to extract it. If people actually tried a trick like that I have no doubt that such programs would exist by the thousand.

Fucking great Opeth tabs btw, thanks for all your hard work!

House of Seance said:
...assuming the end of Attonement is really Reverie, is it another mastering/production/whatever screw up like it was with Requiem and The Apostle in Triumph?

I bought GR on vinyl today!
It's on 2 LP's. Two tracks on each side.

Side two ends with Atonement. (No "thingy" found there, at the end!)

Side three starts with Reverie/Harlequin Forest.
First came the soft part - just about one minute long. I suppose that part is "Reverie".

THEN came the "Into the trees" bit... with it's lovely distorted guitar chords and the excellent bass guitar riff in the beginning!
(I guess THAT's the start of "Harlequin Forest".)

Oh, I love this song...! :oops:

CAIRATH said:
Wow. And I thought you of all people would understand that. Maybe if you did own the versions with the bonus tracks you'd realize how annoying it is. More music is always good. More music on slapped on the end of a CD where it clearly does not fit at all is not. Solution? A seperate CD like they did with the BWP reissue. More bang for your buck and you can still listen to the album the way it was intended without having to rush for the stop or fast-forward button when it's over.
Agreed, or better yet, instead of wasting a whole nother CD, just have some silence or negative time between the last track and the bonus track, like Porcupine Tree's Deadwing does.

AND WHOA!

I never really listened to atonement and didn't realize there was a whole different intro to Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

I was reading a powertab for it and couldn't understand why there were little clean electric things up there.

that clears things up.

Raistlin Majere said:
and by the way i just noticed and can't be bothered to browse other pages for if someone already warned about it but, it is Atonement. not attonement.

:erk: I always spell the damn word wrong