The Beliefs Of Amon Amarth

Celtik Militia said:
ok, this is off topic, its not about the beliefs of AA or anything, i just didnt know where to put this and i didnt want to start a whole thread about it either.

i just saw this documentary today, in which archeologists and scientists have a "new" theory about where the american indians might come from.. and thats from france and spain! haha. this is totally crazy shit, but the sort of proofs these scientists handed down are quite bluffing, weither its archeological proof or scientific proof through DNA samples. these peoples of europe called the Solutreans were in europe at about 15,000 BC and then disapeared from all knowledge, except for the theory of these archeologists who say that the american indians are actually the descendants of the Solutreans. to get more proof these archeologists studied the sinuit/eskimo societies and say that they are very comparable to the Solutreans in their way of living, cause at the time of the Solutreans, europe was like antarctica (sp?) with the ice age. this is the only good page i could find about it on internet http://www.centerfirstamericans.com/mt.php?a=47 (but i admit i didnt look hard for it). the documentary was much more complete and convincing.
perhaps Tyra knows some about it, or maybe other people. but i find this quite interresting, and it is something revolutionary for me.

So the Native Americans are really the descendants of the Soul Trains? Interesting.

Krigloch the Furious said:
amazon.com has bunches.
I just ordered these.
0192839462.jpg

FC0141000031.JPG

This is my first post here in the AA forum and i have been watching this thread.

Krigloch...excellent choices. Carolyn Larrington's translation of the Edda is one of the best out there! It is not only a very litteral translation, it is very easy to read. I have Hollander's translation and it is harder to understand.

@Sleipnir...you are a NJ Heathen? You belong to a kindred?

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Yes, well the hippie politically correct viking answering lady may not be the best source of knowledge regarding that field...

Gunnvor is hardly PC or hippie! I think you need to look deeper into her site. It is probably the best source of Viking information on the net!

Celtik Militia said:
i just saw this documentary today, in which archeologists and scientists have a "new" theory about where the american indians might come from.. and thats from france and spain! ]

Yeah, can you say "political hot potato"?? There are actually three different theories. The one that is not disputed at all, that we know happened, is the crossing over the Bering landbridge. We know that happened, because the one culture can be found on both sides of that landbridge.
The second is Joanna Nichols' theory that people came from the Pacific via Easter Island and spread upwards from Chile much earlier than they spread across the Bering. That theory is based on linguistic evidence as well as some very ancient archaeological material. Both the linguistic evidence as well as the supposed age of the archeo evidence is disputed, but none the less, very interesting.
The third is the one you saw on TV, usually called "Clovis First". The theory is that people spread across the Atlantic. The Clovis point, which is one of the more common NA archaeological finds from that time, shows a much closer resemblence to the Solutrean cultural assemblage than the assemblage on the other side of the Bering. Logic says, that if people had come from the Bering, the tools they used before they came here, should resemble, or be a developed from, the ones we find here. There is no such continuity. There is continuity between one side of the Bering to the next, but those finds are not of clovis points. There's also the fact that some of the absolute oldest human remains found here are caucasoid (rather than indian), and the DNA evidence, as you said, is a bit interesting, too. There are haploids that should not be there if there were no Solutrean influx (according to Clovis First theory), and recent DNA research has showed that some of the wildlife (deer, speciffically) has spread over the icecap. If deer can, then so can humans, and humans still to this day put much longer distances behind them than these people would have had to, in outriggers very similar to the Solutrean ones. None the less, the indians are very unhappy about this theory, as are many archaeologists.

The viking answer lady is good enough that the Museum of National Antiquities (www.historiska.se) in Stockholm recommend her, with the caveat to wach out for the "somewhat distasteful layout". I'm with Pagan, however, in that some points are not exactly accutare, but she's obviously researched her stuff very, very well, and can back her opinions up with references (which is tantamount to me), to the point where the sheer mass of information that is accurate makes up for the clouple of little mistakes she's made.

heh, thanks tyra for the conformation.

Feraliminal Lycanthropizer said:
So that mean Europeans arent as white as they claim to be? LOL on them!!!!!

well actually no. europeans now are mostly indo europeans. the solutreans weren't indo european. so its not like the europeans of today and the american indians have an extreemly close bloodline... i mean the indo europeans absorbed (or killed off) the earlier europeans completely..
no? tyra?

Lordmaltreas said:
Amon Amarth claim to be deeply rooted in Pagan Viking belief.For albums on they've done these anti-christian messages,but with this new one it says "Any subliminal messages are in you head?" or something.

Why did they do that for? The subliminal messages of paganism is one of the reasons why I like them.They sang about what I personally believed, me being a pagan.

They should be standing up for their beliefs, if they convert someone so what? If they just do it to be cool, they'll grow out of it, and the ones that carry this faith with them will always have that kind of music to cherish, it's about trust in the Gods and standing up for what you believe in.Fighting for your faith.You're on a battlefield and you've got the sword of your faith,now it doesn't matter what it is, it's just that you're constantly going to fight for it.Especially if you're a more opressed faith or unknown faith, people fear what they don't understand.

I'm a heavy metal fan, and I'm a devout pagan, open-minded and not-bashful as AA as in some of their lyrics,and I happen to like artists who believe what I believe in.Amon Amarth,Korpiklaani,Finntroll,Cruachan,exc.

I got really angry that they would try to censor their faiths like they did.It's things like that that make freedoms breathless air.Why do we even have freedom of religion and speech if you're going to censor them?

u watch too much lotr movies

well actually no. europeans now are mostly indo europeans. the solutreans weren't indo european. so its not like the europeans of today and the american indians have an extreemly close bloodline... i mean the indo europeans absorbed (or killed off) the earlier europeans completely..
no? tyra?[/quote]

Well...hmmm...sort of...
1. Nobody knows for sure who the original Indo-Europeans were, where they came from and when. They did not have a written language, and so cannot be easily traced with archaeological methods. The linguistic material gives us some idea by way of re-tracing the languages, but the DNA evidence can be used to support more than one theory.
2. Hence, we don't know how or why the language spread.
3. Hence we don't know if A. it was done peacefully, as in the existing population took over the new language that spread with say a new invention, such as farming, (see Renfrew, Neolithic Dispersal Theory) or B. by way of conquest, raiding or invasion (see Gimbutas Kurgan theory) or in some other way.
4. If A, the current Europeans are still the original population, but if B, then the current Europeans are a mix of the original population and the conquerors.
5. Either way, the original population is still there. Just their language is not.
The solutrean would have been part of the original settlers of Europe. It's the indians that would be less "red", as their bloodline would have been mixed with European, pre-Indo-European blood (my term, not a scientific term!). Make sense?
The whole IE thing is a really huge argument in archaeological/linguistic/genetic research for the last, oh...100 years?, but those are the two most common theories right now. Either way, to the best of my knowledege, all theories hold that the original European population (Gimbutas calls them the Old Europeans) is still there. That was what I was getting at with that other post, because the theory is that Basque is one of the Old European languages that was never assimilated or conquered (depending on which theory you choose). /T

I read somwhere, can't remember where, that there's a theory that at least the scandinavians but I suppose some other indo-europeans are a mixture of a native, short, fair people (a folk of the old european sort) and an alien, tall, dark people (the indo-europeans I guess). Also, I remember somthing a former physics teacher of mine (who was very erudite in history) about some pre indo-european farmer people with either round or square faces, can't remember.

Any knowledge on this, anyone?

I am also wondering about blood types and how I read that the only european bloodtypes are A and äronegativ (O?) and since the latter less commonly found, but more so with the european nobility, that it was because of something about them being hunters originally, as opposed to their farmer counterparts, or that they could affford eating meat every day which the farmers couldn't.

If this is just pure BS then please tell me so, I find it a bit far fetched myself but nevertheless interesting.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
I read somwhere, can't remember where, that there's a theory that at least the scandinavians but I suppose some other indo-europeans are a mixture of a native, short, fair people (a folk of the old european sort) and an alien, tall, dark people (the indo-europeans I guess). Also, I remember somthing a former physics teacher of mine (who was very erudite in history) about some pre indo-european farmer people with either round or square faces, can't remember.

Any knowledge on this, anyone?

The thinking there is that the native short ones are the "Old Europeans", and the other ones are the IE, as you said. This is predominantly Gimbutas' theory, but can really be applied to most other theories, too. Can also be applied to what Snorri claims in Heimskringla! According to Snorri, the Aesir fit the description of the IE who came in and mixed with the Vanir.

As for the other theory, I have never heard of it, but if your description is accurate, on first glance it falls short on the basis that it has been historically easier to get meat than agricultural crop, so in that case, as it has been elsewhere in the world in many periods of pre-history and onwards, the ones who are farmers would be the richer more affluent population, and the meateaters the "poor ones".

Ok.

Yeah I thought about that - two different peoples (the aesir and the vanir) and how they ended up living together. And wasn't it Snorri who said that the Aesir were named after were they came from (Asia) or something? But how are they described in Heimskringla?